1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Construction selection menu

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by noobnr39, Jun 18, 2011.

1. noobnr39

noobnr39 Guest

I had this idea in mind, when being a builder and holding the F button would give you a pizza-menu for the selection of the construction blocks,

this was introduced in LD and i think this will be usefull since the number of constructable blocks keeps going up ( in example wooden blocks, wooden spikes, wooden walls, stockpile )

2. miaow

miaow Guest

Up till now the current selection has been fine, but with more blocks something like this could be useful. Even just a scroll forward and scroll back would be better than what we have.

3. DorkeyDear

DorkeyDear Shipwright

I like the idea. It would be a nice way to access all the blocks. But I can see it getting annoying for common blocks. I would like to see keyboard shortcuts to certain construction items when playing as the engineer. This will make commonly used items easier to access and not needing to go through possibly a hierarchy of menus every couple of seconds when building.

4. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

How about worms-like-pop-up-with-weapons?

5. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Good news! We've got a rudimentary form of this coming next build! It isn't a radial menu yet, as we aren't sure if we're going to have more elements than would be practical.

A larger pop-up will be needed once we've got a lot of constructables in-game but we'll also have a proper HUD by then as well.

The ability to assign keyboard shortcuts to each tile is a good idea too, we'll have to think of a way to do that and allow easy configuration :)

6. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

Possibly highlight with mouse wanted element and press corresponding key combination to make shortcut on the go?

7. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Mmmn maybe but for those walking along whilst building I think WASD might find itself accidentally mapped to tiles quite often. It'd likely be another section within the "keyboard" options.