1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Current CTF

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FinDude, Jun 24, 2011.

1. FinDude

FinDude KAG Guard Tester

...can be tremendous fun, but does have some flaws:

Rushing - Can end rounds really fast, and isn't exactly fun for the losing team.
    It is sometimes possible to take the ground back, but it's rather rare.
    I've suggested a ceasefire thing. Alternatively we can see what mapgen can accomplish.

Stalemates - Capturing the flag is too hard after forts have been established.
    This leads to rounds dragging on. It can still be fun, shifts in balance of power can happen, but the map really gets it.

I'd propose either having the flag be nonreturnable for a given time after being dropped, or alternatively, a round system of sorts.
    A round starts at dawn, and ends at sunset. During the night, map is repaired to some extent, and after that all players spawn at their home tent, ready for another glorious day of battle.

2. Overlord

Overlord KAG Guard Tester

I say there should be something that makes everybody a builder for the first 2? minutes of the game. This would make it so each side would actually have a decent base and stop rushing.

3. HA1TER

HA1TER Shopkeep Stealer

+1 to both of suggestions!
    Also,why not making that flag a bit higher?Like this it is enough just to go near the tent...

4. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

There's annoying thing connected with outpost - one team built it near our tent. We were literally being killed by them as soon as we spawned - and since we were close to our tent - respawn time was ridiculously long...and if we by any luck managed to kill one of the foes he was respawning instantly in his outpost and kept killing us just like before his death...not cool. :(

5. HA1TER

HA1TER Shopkeep Stealer

I would really like to see what someone said in another thread!
    It is about first minutes after spawn,you cant be anything but builder!So you could make a strong deffence!
    You can aslo rush whit builders but it would be funn to watch 20 of them fightning over a flag XD

6. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Better way to prevent this, is to allow the flag of outposts to be captured. That would cause some fear to build it though, but it's so ridiculously hard to get the enemy flag after 10 minutes. Night cycle sounds a bit too much, not sure about the class-force.

7. CrazyMLC

CrazyMLC Guest

Maps are too easy to cross without builders. (causing early rushing)
    Stone is too common. (causing massive walls and forts)

8. FinDude

FinDude KAG Guard Tester

A single builder is enough to cross pretty much any sane obstacle one would put in a map.

I actually think that matches drag on because of large player counts.
    Reducing maximum score could help when the player count starts to rise.

Just an another random thought: Dense earth, a tile of worthless dirt that takes a long time even for a builder to dig out.
    Having some of it spread around should help with lategame... annihilation, since it will not be the first thing people want to dig out.

9. HA1TER

HA1TER Shopkeep Stealer

Ok,i made a map (Stronghold server) where you CANT rush the flag!I know it is off topic but maybe it should start whit this kind of "setup"...

10. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I think geological barriers that require workers is stupid. I think that best solution is simply larger maps.

Larger maps means longer rush time, meaning that the less aggressive team has more time to set up fortifications, and also small parties of quick rushers have plenty of tiem to warn their team of large hosts of attackers.

I don't see the problem with large rushes, the defender has so many advantages. They can take up positions on hills, and they have a close spawn for quick reinforcements. Plus when they hold off the rush they will have a resource and initiative advantage due to their larger miner count and the fact that the enemy team is stuck respawning.

11. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

Close spawn is negated by long respawn time due to dying close to your own spawn, also most of the time the rush is accompanied by at least 1 builder who puts up a temporary fort, thereby skipping the entirety of the map. All they need to do then is just put outposts inbetween in case they really do get pushed back.