1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Custom Made Wooden Zippo Lighters

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by ComJak, Aug 19, 2011.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. ComJak

ComJak Shipwright

Hey ComJak here, I recently started a project that involved making a full wooden zippo that could hold the metal insert. I could then engrave the zippo with whatever I wanted.

Basically I start out with a plank of wood (usually maple may try oak) and I will cut out the shape of the zippo. Then I will my Dremel to smooth it out and carve it down to size. After that, I cut it at the right place (so that the grain matches) and hollow out the insides with a forstner bit. Finally, I fit the zippo insert into the top and bottom halves and attach a zippo hinge to the inside of the case.

I was basically wondering if anyone here would be interested in these custom zippo's for sale and at what price (dry zippo insert included).

These are 100% hand made using only a dremel and a forstner bit on a screwdriver. I can engrave anything you want on the surface within reason.

Images

[​IMG]

FIRST PROTOTYPE:

This is the first one I did. I basically scrapped my way through. It's very thin walled and odd looking. Please ignore the color on it because I was using this as a stain tester. Also, at that time, I had limited tools to work with and hence the odd look of the zippo.Look below for better examples. [maple]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

SECOND GENERATION

This one came out much better and was my first attempt at carving into wood. I'd say some people here would appreciate the foliage on the cover :D. Much lighter and more even stain compared to before. Larger size improves the strength of it and allows for deep carving. It is incomplete as I have not attached the zippo hinge yet or calibrated the notch where the hinge is. Mostly finished product.[maple]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The Michigan Zippo is an incomplete work. I was testing out different woods to see which would work better. The engraving is not complete and the edges and surfaces are unfinished. It has not been hollowed out yet. The stain is a darker deeper stain and is to show you what I can do with staining. This is a rough draft and can not be considered complete. I will probably not even finish this one because the wood is a little hard to work with.[some weird left over wood I found in the garage...]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED:

Reply below with the stain you want (white = unstained, yellow = lightly stained like the 2nd generation, dark = fully stained like the michigan lighter)
    Include either a picture or a description of what you want engraved in it (single sided or double sided)
    Include any other notes you want.

We can move on from there.

NOTES:

Each custom zippo is 100% handcarved and custom designed.
    Each zippo takes about 2-3 days depending on how busy I am and how cooperative the wood is.
    The body is fully wood (not a wooden case for a metal zippo like you can find online.
    It comes with an attached genuine zippo hinge and an inserted, unused, and removable genuine zippo insert with no fuel.
    Requesting an Ohio State University zippo will result in the banning of your account permanently :D Actually I will send you the Michigan zippo and tell you to suck it up.

I only have a few weeks of break left so I may only be able to complete 2 at most 3 more zippos. Reply quickly if you are interested.

Thanks
    Jak

2. I would really like some photos. And perhaps a custom one.

3. Rainbows

Rainbows KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Photos!

4. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I haven't smoked in a couple of years so I'm not gonna be a customer, but I'd sure like to see your handiwork.

5. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Shark Slayer

Wood + Fire + Metal = Well nice seeing you lighter :D

6. Nebuchadnezzar

Nebuchadnezzar Shopkeep Stealer

There is such a thing as fire-treated wood :P
    Show me some pictures I may be interested in one :D

7. saniblues

saniblues KAG Guard Tester

I thought this was a spam thread for a second

8. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

What's a zippo?

9. ComJak

ComJak Shipwright

Lol Neat really? where are you from? Not the US i'll bet :D.

A zippo is a classic American lighter that works in all weather (supposedly). Zippo.com is the place to go
    Also about flammable wood, it takes a LOT for wood to burn. Especially hard woods like the ones I use. Also, the wood will not be in the path of the flame unless you do it on purpose in which case it's your own damn fault :)

10. czubai

czubai KAG Guard Tester

Would love to see pics, just out of curiosity. I work with wood sometimes, less precise stuff though.

11. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

Yes. I'm not from the US. So why are you saying really? x3 Also i'm not a smoker in any way, so even less chance i'd know what one is.

12. ComJak

ComJak Shipwright

Well I'm not a smoker.. of cigarettes.. Pics are uploaded now. Sorry for the huge size but it lets you get a better picture of it.

13. Rainbows

Moar detailed engravings!

14. ComJak

ComJak Shipwright

Like what? My tools can only cut so small of groves. Any smaller and they can't be sanded down properly.

15. Rainbows

Foliage other than a single weed leaf?
    Vines and moar leaves?

How much and is Zippoo thing included?

Just curious o.o

16. ComJak

ComJak Shipwright

I was thinking 15 to 20 bucks with an included zippo insert. It costs me 10 bucks for the new zippo lighter to take apart already.

I was gonna do a tree but never got around to it. If you send me designs I will transfer it onto the zippo.

17. Rainbows

[img=herpderp]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWVnjh3RUBEf0DY6ff7tVHidhYtfICXYwfikFTV48g2oGtZqG2ww[/img]

What about anything like this?

18. ComJak

ComJak Shipwright

looks good and doable might take a little longer though

Is that going to be vertical or horizontal?

19. Rainbows

Hey I'm not sure whether I'm buying it yet :3
    It would be vertical to go up the Zippoo

20. ComJak

ComJak Shipwright

that's cool. I don't expect anyone to immediately pitch in 15 bucks on something like this. I'm just saying your design is doable

What I can do is do the design first so you can see it, then if you like it, you can buy it. It is a pretty complex design so I don't want you do be pissed off if it's not up to par

Mods: BlueLuigi