1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Daskew's little thoughts on boulders c:

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by daskew87, Sep 4, 2016.

1. daskew87

daskew87 Legendary corpse humper Donator

!!! I am sorry and I know the difficulty threads like this can cause when other people have discussed this beforehand. But for this post I just wanted to make an articulate (at least try to) post about what I think many people who I've talked to are feeling.

Boulders are a very cool looking weapon. ::D:

The idea of smashing someone's face in with a big boulder is an appealing juncture by any means.

The skill involved throwing this beast in the right direction with the right power with the right timing... all while manning your characters own normal attacks, seems rather juicy in its entertainment and depth of play factors.

But no-one uses them :QQ:... really ever

In just about any circumstance it is certainly far better to just sling this heavy item asside so you can undergo your standard assault. I mean why bother? It makes you slower. It can't be thrown fast. It breaks appart after minimal use. The damage it yields it just no recompense for all these disadvantages. The damage is actually pretty tame... tame it is indeed.

All the above AND it takes a lot of skill for the average player to use effectively.

Could we re-work the boulder? :thumbs_up:

This whole issue is really a minor thing - KAG is a great game and I love almost all the dynamics. Heck.. perhaps we are lucky to even have the boulder anyway as an add-on item, even in it's ineffectual state.

But I can't help but say something because I, and many others see the stunning potential of a cool-ass boulder being actually involved in this game as a viable weapon. A weapon used. Not as a party-piece.

What we're missing
    [Elowan whacking naoki in tournament a while back]

Isn't the above WHAT WE WANT?

Isn't the above REWARDING SUPERB PLAY?

Dont we WANT TO BRING THIS BACK!

But it would be OP! :eek:

Apparently for some reason any increase whatsoever to the boulder would make it absolutely own everyone and anything in the game and this therefore must be stopped at all and indeed any cost! Even if it means making it about as tough as cotton wool, and as damaging as a raindrop falling on your head.

I just don't agree!

It's a pro weapon :B):

The very nature of it means it requires extreme skill to compete. This is good. But even when players achieve this it's still rarely ever worth scratching your ass with. Due to the all the nerfs combined ::(:

Could we do something about this? :smug:

There's a reason nobody really ever uses it. It never takes a trip out the buildershop in clan wars. It's neutered. Neutralised. And never going to help anyone.

Perhaps it was too intense before the update that coded it out of real competitive play. Maybe it before it was "over the top". But the sheer fact that people now see it as a kinder suprise egg toy more than anything resembling a means of assault surely means there's something wrong with it's stats.

I urge the good leaders of KAGdom. Help bring this sweet music back to this game. :note:If not in it's previous form, then in some other arrangement! Something can be worked out to include it without having it totally reverted!

Say it with me now: "A good boulder is a useful boulder!" ::D:

:boulder::boulder::boulder::boulder::boulder::boulder::heart::heart::heart:

p.s - I'm sorry if this has already been discussed at length by hoardes of peasants. I just have never said anything about this and I really wanted to express my thoughts about this. It's a very cute weapon. I totally understand that it was nerfed because in some cases overbearing in the game. I just think maybe too much.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    bru-jaz, epsilon, Osmal and 5 others like this.
  2. jimmyzoudcba

jimmyzoudcba Haxor Tester

A good boulder is a useful boulder.
    IK this had been said before, but still; making boulders harder to acquire and costing more variety of resources (stones and coins? lol) should be better than nerfing it to the ground.

Magmus and daskew87 like this.
  3. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Nah I disagree. Boulders are already fun to kill people with, BUT, they're not fun to use in general because they're really annoying to have around. Rather than make them more op and more annoying, just make them less annoying.

My proposals:
    - Builder carries boulder like a "light" item, is not slowed
    - Boulders cannot be picked up until they hit a block.
    - Boulders are tankier.
    - Boulders refund stone on being destroyed.
    - The boulder's "team" (the people who threw it last) can pass through the boulder.

This is just a bunch of simple stuff to make it feel less pointless and annoying to buy and carry around a boulder.

https://gfycat.com/UniqueSaneGourami

bru-jaz, jimmyzoudcba, Magmus and 3 others like this.
  4. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

You left out being able to put the boulder in your inventory. Also not being able to pick up a boulder before it hits a block or person would be a nerf for the carrier somewhat.
    The water bouldering was just bullshit.

daskew87 and an_obamanation like this.
  5. Lava

Lava Former Lag King Staff Alumni Donator Tester

I miss it too, I used to use boulders for days with Ripleycat and they were too OP but now they are just useless :(

6. Darksteel

Darksteel The see me Boulderin', they hatin'. Donator
    1. Australians United Stand Strong - AUSS - (Invite Only)

How to unnerf the boulder:

>Can be put in inventory by knights.
    >Can break doors.

Done.

I'm all for the boulder coming back into competitive play, I miss it, I also feel like there should be more reward for loading it into a catapult. Maybe increase the width of the damage it causes to structures after being catapulted?

7. SirDangalang

SirDangalang Lvl. 128 MissingNo. Donator

Personally I think those are the two worst things you could bring back for the boulder lol ::P:

I am all for more damage for boulders fired from catapult as a reward in making them from scratch one at a time, since setting up a protected workshop near a cata on the front line is tricky at times.

Also to actually improve the distance boulders are flung to match how far loose stone is fired would be cool too. Range on fired boulders feels way too short ::(:

Forget boulder usage by grunts, arise o siege boulder of legend!!! :rekt::boulder:

8. Potatobird

Uhh, I don't think either of those are good ideas. They used to be able to break doors and it was awful, any archer could easily get in the enemy base anywhere they wanted for free. Also, if anything it should be builders that can put it in their inventory. Boulders are pretty much useless for knights, they are the boulder.

And yeah it would be nice if they did more in catapults. Maybe they could break into a bunch of damaging stone shrapnel when they hit something so they cover a wider area.

9. Coroz

Coroz B R B Donator Tester Official Server Admin
    1. [AG#] - Ancient Gear

(For some reason i cant quote anymore ?)
    I like SirDangalang's idee , Boulders do more damage against building/stone/wood etc fired from cata, and the distance should be further then loose stones fired from cata. (maybe test if the damage is already high enough and only increase the range) Making the boulder a additional siege weapon on catapult.
    would be fun if you could set it on fire aswell and then fire the boulder from cata.

10. jimmyzoudcba

Oiled boulders. Maybe make it like original satchels-or make it create a shower of rain (of fire) on impact. Maybe make it like the bomb bolt upgrade ;D

bru-jaz likes this.
  11. daskew87

daskew87 Legendary corpse humper Donator

I think some ideas here are very good. I never mentioned any of my own ideas, I just wanted to mention that it's a shame boulders aren't competitive, when I think they totally should be, but not OP.

Is there any chance of say:

-Boulders being team owned where you can walk through them
    -Boulders not being so easy to break (making them less uncompetitive)
    -The enemy team can't grab the boulder in mid-air, only when it has hit the ground
    -A minimal damage increase, as I think if it is at high-speed it should be able to take 2 hearts damage? I am not entirely certain this isn't the case already though
    -Boulders costing some coins (a step towards turning them into a proper weapon)

The above are just examples I think could work. The THD team I'm sure could think of 10 different clever ways to make the boulder competitive again, but not OP)

Guys is there anyone we could flag? To come see this thread?

A good boulder is a useful boulder! :note:

This is an awesome weapon
    It doesn't have to be OP
    It also doesn't have to be a waste of space

::):

p.s I don't want to pester the poor devs. So if this post doesn't go anywhere I'm just going to leave it after.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    jimmyzoudcba, epsilon, SJD360 and 3 others like this.
  12. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

i agree, great daskowl, though i suppose it is down to @Geti to fix this shit

13. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Boulders are so janky because they rely on the throw/catch code. Throwing them gives them hardly any speed and they slow down copiously in-air.

They do already do more damage when moving quickly, but because the throwing doesn't set them at any reliable speed, this is also unreliable.

They're easier to break for CTF reasons, not TDM.

They look pretty silly so I can see why some folks don't want to see them become too common. They're best used by dropping from a high place onto a group of enemies below - but a keg is better for that of course.

I think the "catching" could be fixed and help make keg drops less of a liability as well, but I don't think that would be enough on its own to help the boulder become "meta-friendly" in any sense of the word.

I agree they're pretty useless at the moment, or "at least not competitive", but they're not really high on my list :(

14. jimmyzoudcba

Sry for the reply, but maybe making the velocity higher sideways? Like a slash throw of a knight would make it travel maybe 7-8 blocks.
    Just saying this as a temporary fix.
    Thanks Geti!

15. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Giving anything concrete in terms of blocks opens it up to a lot of potential criticism haha but I can take a look at the throw speeds. At the moment it scales the entire velocity down by a LOT for "heavy" items.

The problem with increasing the throw velocity of the boulder is that because it has drag on it, to do damage over (lets say for argument's sake) 7 tiles, it would have to leave the hands at a speed high enough to do even more damage.

Because you can then pick it up again immediately, you can chain that into very high, fast damage at close range (think how people used to use them for smashing doors). This looks super silly and I'm not sure of the best approach as a result.

It could work if boulders would "smash" on hitting stuff at high speed, but they'd still be an incredibly strong melee weapon and that's not really something I want to see.

jimmyzoudcba likes this.
  16. jimmyzoudcba

I see. Thanks for the reply.
    Hmm. Maybe for now just use it as a siege weapon? Make velocity scaling a LOT higher and start velocity still super low and make it maybe viable only through catas for now.
    On what you're saying, maybe a hard time cap before the boulder can be picked up again? Or a velocity drop to 0 before pickup requirement?

makmoud98 likes this.
  17. Geti

Making them impossible to pick up if they're moving would help somewhat but wouldn't help with the chain-throwing, it'd need some sort of hard time cap probably (which seems "forced").

They already work OK as siege weapons, its just "pretty annoying" to supply them when you can just shoot the raw stone.

No worries about the reply; honestly sorry it took so long, I'm a little swamped at the moment.

jimmyzoudcba likes this.
  18. Potatobird

Hmm. Chain-throwing sounds pretty nasty, but in an open area the target is likely getting knocked back by the boulder (or running away) which might make that less possible. If you're slinging boulders around in the caves, however, shit gets weird.

Just kind of a hypothetical here, I think boulders do velocity damage, would it be possible to split that velocity apart so downward velocity is more damaging? Might help it fill its niche as a dunk-y weapon, and prevent that annoying moment when you leap off your structure, boulder in hand, slamming it down square on their noggin, only to have it do a heart and a half of damage.

epsilon likes this.
  19. Geti

(Congrats on hitting the devils number of posts)
    [​IMG]

Of course it'd be possible :)

Open question: would people like boulders to be a "1-up" dunk if you're above people? I'm talking 2hearts minimum from standing, 4 hearts (instakill) with a bit of a nudge/timing. That's not particularly hard to do.

If so, hit up this thread; I'll do it if there's enough of a push for it (say, >60% majority and at least 4 posts in favour).

20. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

Would this involve removing the ability to pick up a boulder as it moves? Because you would have to throw it up and in that time period anyone could snatch it. Im really on the fence because removing the ability to pick up a boulder while it is moving is a nerf both to the thrower and the defender.