1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Drawbridges became... overpowered?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Drok, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Drok

Drok Shark Slayer

As we know, build 200 changed the way the drawbridges behave. Now they are'nt solid blocks anymore but instead team-only ladders. I believe the developers were expecting new structures to be invented with this more versatile block, but what happened instead is that everybody spams drawbridges (specially underground) without thinking. They require no strategy, no intelligent placement, and made normal ladders become obsolete.
    [​IMG]

All the benefits of the ladders and the solid drawbridges, without the disadvantages of neither of them, in one new, cheap, knight-proof and easily spammable block. Let's make them catapult-resistant too. :p

2. kalidor

kalidor Shopkeep Stealer

Ive never seen this occur. Although i can only guess that map had a lot of wood available.. In most of my games wood is a valuable resource and is used for two things: climbing walls and bridges across huge gaps in the map. however you do bring up a good point, a knight can never get close enough to destroy a trap bridge before it opens. I find it quite irritating, although great for spike pits.

3. Bandwagonman

Bandwagonman Shopkeep Stealer

This is usually what happens in unitless games where the no-man's-land gets severe. Bridges really are the new ladder, people spam them when they want to climb just like they used to do with ladders.

4. kalidor

kalidor Shopkeep Stealer

Yes, except unlike ladders you dont climb them, you jump from one to the next, expending useful resources. also it's safe to say the new bridges completely screws up the old bridge+sspike ladder combo, considering it kills your teammates more than the enemy.

5. Rainbows

Rainbows KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

With a bit of patience you can hit them as a knight and you can easily hit them as a builder making them available to your team too. :l

6. Eggnogg

Eggnogg Ye Olde Wench Donator Tester

I think that it's not supposed to be possible to hit drawbridges as a knight at all, just as it seems you're not supposed to be able to destroy team doors in one hit if you time it correctly; but lag messes this up.

And yeah, the new mechanic often results in bridge bushes, like this:
    [​IMG]
    Although, they are great for hiding during sudden death.

I like being able to drop through a bridge, but I think this mechanic should be removed due to the way they mess up the bridge ladder + spike combo, and how they are very favorable for your team. If you need to drop through a bridge (which was a rare occasion anyway), you can just use doors.

7. dnmr

dnmr Ministry of ban Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

this is how maps used to look before unit limit was introduced. The problem is not bridges, but limitless server settings.
    On "unmodded" servers with unit limit the round usually doesn't last long enough for the map to turn into cheese like in this screenshot, and platforms are used like they should.

So yeah, even if bridges get reverted back to the old mechanics, this picture will just have ladders instead.

8. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

This. Happens on Capture the Bacon all the time. It only happens on unlimited unit servers.

9. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

screen-11-11-06-10-53-51.png

screen-11-11-06-10-38-07.png

screen-11-11-06-10-02-38.png

screen-11-11-06-09-57-52.png

They offer some interesting building possibilities, 2-block wide archer tower for an example, and some are intelligently placed, some are not.

I think it would be best for the game if you could only hop up, not down.

10. Noburu

Im more interested in whats going on in the chat lol.

But yeah I love being able to build DOWN from one using drawbridges. We swiped the enemy flag like that one time last night. If you have a height advantage the new bridges can be pretty hard to destroy, especially with bombs falling through them.

11. Foxodi

Foxodi KAG Guard Tester

Man, I wish they would put fire on all servers, so premium players can light those bad boys up.

12. Drok

Drok Shark Slayer

I showed that picture as an extreme case, of course. I don't mean that it always happens to that extent. My point is that ladders are now useless, and bridges are used everywhere, because of the said above: All the benefits of the ladders and the solid drawbridges, without the disadvantages of neither of them.
    Team-only passages used to require accurately placed team doors or drawbridges to make 1-block gaps, no more, no less, and with some kind of solid support. This new way of transport is just too easy as it has none of that limitations.

While knights can destroy drawbridges, it takes practice, time, and luck. As far as I know the only way to do it is, aside form the weird things of lag, is finding the exact spot where the drawbridge switches intermittently between solid and non-solid, and having it in range when that happens. The margin of error you can have is tiny, so more often that not it depends on luck. Also, I believe it can only be done if you are exactly below the drawbridge, and preferably with ground at the exact height.

13. dwatring

dwatring KAG Guard Tester

Drawbridges are the new 'super block'. They are hardly able to be hit, and they can be used as ladders. How about, drawbridges can only be placed on a stone backwall.

Wolffkran, Eggnogg and Rainbows like this.
  14. tinsoldier

tinsoldier Shopkeep Stealer

I've seen the same issue with the bridge spam on Capture the Bacon. It's more expensive than ladder spam but has the advantage of it not being possible (lag doesn't count, I can't destroy them for the life of me) for knights to destroy it so after each wave you can bet the bridges will still be there for your next push.

It seems to me that the game mechanics should still be somewhat well balanced even on unitless servers? What if you had to build bridges adjacent to a fixed block such as dirt, stone wall or another bridge? Ideally they wouldn't collapse if sections were destroyed if there is a back wall but this would deal with the spam shown above.

Having said that, I *love* the castle layouts that can be built taking advantage of the ability to drop down from a bridge and back up again.

15. SirEndgame

SirEndgame Shopkeep Stealer

This just happend on capture the bacon. i was forced to open the abyss upand kncok people in to stop underground invasion.

16. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

For all the pros and cons, I'm loving the Darktowers. They make for the safest available archer nests, because you can sit anywhere, and you can spam arrows at anyone attempting to climb up.

17. dwatring

dwatring KAG Guard Tester

I don't think they were an intended outcome. They need to be removed.

18. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

Really? They're great!
    Fun for both attackers and defenders.

19. Noburu

I agree opposing team bridges are overly hard to destroy now. A knight cant hit them at all due to his range and the fact that they cant be destroyed while retracted. Also bombs fall through them so you require decent timing it bomb them. Builders can only break them by staying as far away as possible and still hitting it. That leaves catapults as basically the only reliable method to break them, if the archers dont break your cata first.

I think to help balance out drawbridges that you should still be able to hit/break them while they are in their retracted position at least. That or require additional support to hold them up.

LINUS likes this.
  20. SirEndgame

SirEndgame Shopkeep Stealer

That'd be perfect. I can never figure out when and how I can damage a drawbridge, beause it opens when I am in a 3 block radius... making it impossible to disarm easily.