1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Dwarf Fortress - Praise Armok!

Discussion in 'Other games' started by TerryDactyl, Jun 3, 2011.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. TerryDactyl

TerryDactyl Guest

(thread updated feb 18)
    http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

Dwarf Fortress is an amazingly influential game produced by a two-man team, Tarn Adams and his brother, Zach. The scope of the project goes beyond anything seen in the videogame industry. Not so much in terms of budgets or production teams, but certainly in terms of schedule.

Dwarf Fortress is a magnum opus - Tarn Adams has been quoted as having dedicated himself to this production as his life's work, and his plans for the game extend easily 20 years from now.

That said, the game exists in a very early stage. There are substantial shortcomings in the game's interface in particular, due to the staggering complexity of the simulation and shifting in-game mechanics. Graphics are nearly non-existent for this same reason. But that's what's so great about the community - there's always somebody willing to step in.

Some essentials:
    magmawiki - your guide to all things dwarven
    Dwarf Therapist - greatly simplifies labour assignments
    SoundSense - introduces audio cues to inform the player of important events
    Mayday/Ironhand's graphics pack - Not so essential, but pleasing to the eye
    Fortress Defense - for a greater challenge, install this before generating a new world
    Genesis Mod - an extensive display of the modder capabilities.
    My Little Pony - ;)

The Lazy Newb Pack includes most of these tools, and many others. It has yet to be updated to the new (34.01) release.

Extra help:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3pg25RPtvM

Dwarf Fortress "hotseat" games via PuTTY:
    If you have a steam account, community search term is "Dwarf Fortress Multi Player"

2. Ceical

Ceical Guest

YES! It is rare to find another DF enthusiast! My friends and I all hardcore play miners and are constantly remarking about elephants and adamantine tubes. It is such a good game, though the graphics turn most people off of the game. Well, that and the fact it has the highest learning curve for any game...ever? xD

Praise the miners!

Gunnar likes this.
  3. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Eh I've played a bit of the game, enough to figure it out pretty well, but I find that I get bored of it very easily.

4. Snoopicus

Snoopicus Guest

STRIKE THE EARTH!

Gunnar likes this.
  5. Swaggernuts

Swaggernuts Guest

Dwarf fortress was a fun game. I loved and hated that game.... Loved it for the crazy amounts of shit that happens... hated it for how complex even the simplest task became just cause of the cruddy interface. (i want to put all wood in a pile, first i have to designate an area, then i have to make it a stock pile, then i have to make sure ONLY wood goes there. Something like that, i havent played the game in a while)

Though im curious about this Dwarf fortress inspired game called, Goblin Camp. It has a better interface and its more about the mangaing the camp as a whole and not every tiny detail. Its weird, go look for yourself. http://www.goblincamp.com/

6. HODOR

HODOR Guest

OMG I MUST DOWNLOAD THIS GAME AGAIN!!!!111!one!

The learning curve is very hard but the reward is bigger than Big Mac.

7. TerryDactyl

TerryDactyl Guest

You have successfully distracted me from my Dwarf Fortress compulsion, MM.

However, I am finding a second wind in the "Fortress Defense" mod. Because it really is a truly slow and complex game. All kinds of strange things can be made to happen and all kinds of strange things happen, aside. Sometimes I think it is more of a toy than a game. And strangely, wholesome.

8. Rainbows

Rainbows KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Hope someone turns it into a more friendly interface with pictures instead of a colored icon you have to memorize.
    For some reason my mushrooms did not want planting...

9. czubai

czubai KAG Guard Tester

Started playing @ 8pm.

Almost fell asleep without pausing at 7am. Phew.

11 hours. :O

10. mcdonaldjord

mcdonaldjord Guest

I must admit, Dwarf fortress makes no sense whatsoever, With out a graphics set. At least to newcomers.

Heres a download. it adds a tileset and comes with things that Make it ALOT more simple. For example, Dwarf therapist.... Just check it out. &

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2801 &

&

Also, Heres the forums if you need more help. &

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/

There, You have no reason to not try it out, Lazy bastards. ;) & & CLOWNS!

STRIKE THE EARTH!
    Just dont dig to deep..... &

EDIT- If you're still comfused, Heres a youtube video series. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3pg25RPtvM

EDIT EDIT- Once you understand the game, i recommend downloading the genesis Mod, Heres another link. http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4149

That is all i have to say, Hope you try it out. :3

11. t0rchic

t0rchic Drill Rusher

We have to go deeper!

12. mcdonaldjord

mcdonaldjord Guest

Screw That!

STRIKE THE MOON, MINE ITS CHEESE!

Thats thinking dorf right there.

Villekille707 likes this.
  13. archont

archont Shopkeep Stealer

DF, oh yes. So much ‼FUN‼ and ‼SCIENCE‼.

KAG needs magma. And builders should be dorfs.

14. t0rchic

t0rchic Drill Rusher

Uh, no. Falling into spike pits is bad enough. Also, we already have bedrock harassing tunnelers to some extent. Why add more danger to it when tunneling exists purely to mostly bypass danger (Like a wuss, stupid tunnelers >.>)

15. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Water! What would be nicer than to break a dam to the coward builders tryna dig to your base and watch them get drowned and horrifyingly scream?

16. TerryDactyl

TerryDactyl KAG Guard Tester

I just tried it, to get away from my obsessive save-scumming in fortress defense mod, and I've got to say, the caste system hurts my head. It adds another layer of micromanagement complexity which I really don't want to deal with. But the workshops and civs are cool. Some of the things it offers (valleyherb seeds on embark!) are just simply off-balance.

17. Zegovia

Zegovia Shark Slayer

I tried... i really tried to get into this game since many of my internet friends play this. Numerous aptempts, tutorial videos and whatnot and i still couldnt get the hang of it.

Also why the heck did i start with goddamn camels most of the time? Imean.... ITS A CAMEL!

TheFilip likes this.
  18. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

This game crashed my old laptop.
    Like, BAAAAD crash.
    Now, I have a new laptop. :/

19. Hourai

Hourai Shipwright

This is probably one of the most elavorated games ever made, i'm still trying to tame a megabeast~
    To all those didn't played this because of the poor graphics, you can use Ironhand (a very full screenpack) and watch all the tutorials around the internet...

20. AJ

AJ Emperor of Mankind Donator

I think ill try it.And "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE" is the full thing and its from Warhammer and Warhammer 40k.

Mods: BlueLuigi