1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Entombing; why it sucks and you suck if you do it.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thebonesauce, Jun 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Okay, so those of you who know me know that I fucking HATE entombers with a burning, seething passion. It is the cheapiest, laziest, most useless tactic in the game, but I never really gave an analysis as to why I hate it so much.

When tunneling, I noticed this shit happens far too much. Noob builders don't have any other bright ideas when it comes to tunneling, so instead of making well thought out traps OR EVEN A WELL PLACED SPIKE, they entomb. So let's compare the two types of entombers, shall we?

[​IMG]

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the calling card of the noob. When spotted by the opposing team and is close to death, rather than finding a different solution to the oncoming horde (dig out two spaces beneath the people digging down and PLACE TWO SPIKES, INSTANT DEATH) they'll just surround themselves with stone and hope beyond hope the enemies will eventually leave and forget about them.

Dearest retards, do you think we're stupid? Do you think we're just gonna forget that there's an enemy builder camped out below our tower? Granted, in the right hands the builder can be the single most destructive and versatile class in the entire game. However, in the WRONG hands, you end up with this shit. It offers you no options. You just sit, wait, and drag out the game even further if you do it during the end game. Other friendly units can't get in to help you, you have no way out, no way in, nothing. You are just trapping yourself and as soon as you're out of resources you're fucked. When I say ENTOMBING, THIS is what I mean.

Now here is the other type...

[​IMG]

Do you see the difference? By placing stone along the top and bottom of your tunnel, it makes it very hard for enemy builders to get to you (as it is time consuming), and impossible for a knight without bombs. THIS IS NOT ENTOMBING. This is PROPER TUNNELING. As you go, you should also dig out some tiny spike pits, place a half team door to allow your team through but to send knights to their deaths... Etc. Here are a few things you SHOULD do as you're tunneling or "entombing".

(AN: Please note that if you see large holes going down into the tunnel, it is just so I could have proper light to screenshot each thing I wanted to cover.

[​IMG]
    Now, do NOT be intimidated by this structure. CLEARLY it is IMPREGNABLE, but you CAN tunnel beneath using good trapping and muddling! high five if you get what I'm making fun of

[​IMG]
    Now as you can see, I have spotted a good entry point for where my non-entombing tunnel needs to go.

[​IMG]
    This is a good way to kick things off. MAYBE even have backwall to make it dark!

[​IMG]
    Now this is just a personal preference, but I like for my tunnels to be at least 4 tiles high. Allows for a slight bit of jumping and also allows for workshops to be placed.

Now, coming up I completely forgot to place stone, but you'll also notice that I do a technique called staggerstone.

:dirt::castle_wall::dirt::castle_wall::dirt::castle_wall::dirt::castle_wall::dirt::castle_wall::dirt::castle_wall: etc

This not only saves materials, but it also saves time since you don't have to dig every piece of dirt/stone/heavy stone, just every OTHER one.

[​IMG]
    Here is a very simple bait trap used in tunnels. It allows for your teammates to get up very easily to heal, but will eviscerate any enemy that tries to come about. Keeping a knight or builder stationed here might be a good idea. I have a half door so that if a builder happens to destroy the spike, you can simply place another. Quarters are good for healing and the perfect bait for hurt enemies.

[​IMG]
    And finally (mostly because this is tedious and I'm bored of it already), PUT LITTLE SPIKE PITS ALL ALONG THE WAY. I can't even BEGIN to tell you how many enemy knights/builders I've stopped from getting to me in a tunnel with the simplest of spike pits, this being the easiest one to make;

[​IMG]

Again, staggerstoning or just placing stone beneath the spike is a good idea, but if you're low on time/mats, this will suffice.

So there you have it. When it comes to entombing, there is NEVER a good reason you should do it. All it does is buy you just a little bit of time before enemies reach you, and believe me, one builder could be laddering up a tower to overtake it. That is FAR more efficient than entombing. Can't we agree?

tl;dr version-

If you entomb, you suck and you should just quit playing KAG. Seriously. I can't stand to see kids surrounding themselves in stone and then awaiting the inevitable. Die like a man, start over and plan ahead a little better next time.

2. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

must not like big wall of text and pics. too late the pull is too strong
    EDIT: i think the only bad entombers are the one who do so at the end of game with 0 lives left.
    btw tbs its not nice to call noobs retards

also its not entirely useless
    1. it baits the enemy to waste their time in getting the player out
    2. it puts them in a position where they aren't dying or losing lives at the same time feeding the enemy

loganw45 likes this.
  3. Yes, that staircase... just impossible to capture. (do I get a high five?)

I agree, entombing is a useless waste of time and if it is done at end-game, the match can drag on forever..

SARGRA13 likes this.
  4. thebonesauce

Toast, it's a distraction for what, 1 builder and maybe 1 knight? What are they distracting two players from? And just because they aren't using up lives, they are CREDIT TO FORCE? I'd rather have people Minecrafting in the backfield than entombing in the middle. It's just pointless.

5. Riletyface

Riletyface Horde Gibber

Entombing is really exasperating, I know. But it isn't completely useless against the enemy team. Saying that, just because you hate 'termites' doesn't mean that they will obey this thread. This is one of the most efficient ways of destroying a castle, too bad people abuse it. I will listen to you though :) .

6. hexalslug

hexalslug Bison Rider

Exactly, it's a distraction for more people on their team than it is for yours. Often 1-2 knights and 1-2 builders will stand there determined to reach you, and you can hold them off successfully until you run out of stone. That's up to 4 people who could be doing something better with their time as opposed to your teams 1 person who could be doing something better with their time. So whether it's nooby or retarded or not, logistically it's actually pretty helpful to your team (depending on how stupid the other team is to stand around trying to get you). Also if the team is shitty and there is only a single builder (or even nobody) trying to get you, and you manage to get out into their base, you can do a lot of damage. So, either way, whether they stand around trying to get you or not, you're actually likely to be helping your team in some way. Not saying it's not annoying but it's certainly not useless.

7. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Entombing is god tier stay mad bro.

Doors, put down wood or stone if enemies are only outside, doors/wood if friends with enemies, doors if only friends, bridges if frenemies.

Seriously though don't be so mad about it, it's the best way to get around dealing with huge tall archer towers with archerfags at the top spamming arrows down like it's fourth of july, now I prefer the old tactic Wyeth posted which is superior in every way, but entombing/termiting as the kids (stupid kids) call it these days is better as it can troll the fuck out of a retarded team and they will waste 4-5 dudes standing there to stop you as a single fucking person while your dudes rain shit and move up a LOT of ground having to deal with several less people.

8. Evan5567

Evan5567 Shark Slayer
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

The only time this is annoying is when it is the last person left on the team, and everyone is left waiting for them to die.​
    Other than that, I'd just let them do what they want, including sitting underneath the enemy base half the match - surrounded by stone.​

9. thebonesauce

Okay, again. Difference between termiting and straight entombing. Termiting is when you're actually contributing to bringing down a tower. That's a tactic. When you're being tailed by an enemy knight on one side and an archer and builder on the other, encasing yourself in stone is not. It's just stupid. Think about it. Your front tower is being pummeled with bombs and catapult fire... It could REALLY use a builder to make quick, efficient repairs. But what are you doing as a builder? Sandwiched between stone, sandwiched between the enemy. You wanna talk about wasting spawn tickets?

Antman likes this.
  10. BlueLuigi

It's not just stupid.

1)It buys time
    2)If you are keeping at least one other person entertained you are keeping them away from the battle and thus providing a neutral response to the overall game, any more than 1 is simply a positive to people you are keeping off the field.

If you are playing on a very small game it's a bad tactic as there aren't enough people to fill up those spots, but if you are playing with more than 8-10 on each side you don't have that problem really, they can make do with the less people attacking and such.

Is it the best tactic? No.
    Should it mean you're a bad player? No.
    Are you approaching it the wrong way? Yes.
    Have one guy watch the entomber, he can't do much alone unless the server has tunnels and he has access to lots of stone and came in with lots of wood already, one person can watch an entomber effectively, a termite is similar, if you want you can have 4-5 builders boss rush his ass breaking open one tile and placing a bridge down.

It's not a hard tactic it's simply a psychological one that most people get buttmad at because their own fucking team is full of retards, so instead of calling it bad or sucky and then calling the people who do it sucky blame your teammates and yourself for wasting your time on a tactic that is clearly made to do so.

Considering the alternative of just DYING you're wasting more 'spawn tickets' (why not just call them lives?) doing that then termiting OR entombing, both of which help a lot. No one actually JUST entombs unless they are waiting for allies to get out, while it may not be popular, or and it may not be good all the time, it's still a valid tactic and is very good when the time comes (ESPECIALLY in water HOLY SHIT)

Antman, 8x, potatomcwhiskey and 5 others like this.
  11. thebonesauce

I dunno what servers you're playing on. More often than not it happens with one builder tunneling, and when spotted he seals off the tunnel and himself to prevent death. That's the type of entombing I'm referring to.

12. KnightGabe13

KnightGabe13 Arsonist

The problem is, bonesauce confuses termiting with entombing on occasion. I tried to termite a tower in the MOLE server (atleast I think it was the MOLE server) and he called me bad names for "entombing". :(

Anyway, entombing isn't that bad a tactic. One might encase oneself in stone on the way to termite the enemy tower, in order to reach it whilst avoiding death, therefore saving life units and time.

EDIT: An example.

:castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall:
    :door::castle_wall::door:
    :door::castle_wall::door:
    :dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt:
    :dirt_bg::dirt_bg::dirt_bg::dirt_bg::dirt_bg::dirt_bg::dirt_bg: :hammer::castle_wall::dirt_bg: :(
    :dirt_bg::dirt_bg::dirt_bg::dirt_bg::dirt_bg::dirt_bg::dirt_bg::p :castle_wall::dirt_bg::sword:
    :dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt:

13. thebonesauce

Okay, you guys are missing the point. That is not entombing.

THIS is entombing.

*insert enemy here*[​IMG]*insert enemy here*

I just used tunneling under the tower as an example. You know the situation. Where the builder has people on all sides, digging into his stone, and he just keeps replacing the stone. EVEN OUT IN THE OPEN. I've seen builders so scared of dying, even on their own turf that they do that with enemies on both sides.

AgeOfMe, Antman and Riletyface like this.
  14. KnightGabe13

KnightGabe13 Arsonist

Ohhh, I see what you mean. Yes, this is probably the worst tactic in the game. :rollseyes: Newbies, please, look at Strathos' guide.

15. thebonesauce

Yes. There's a huge, HUGE difference between cowering in fear in a stone box and plowing through dirt towards the enemy's flag, placing lines of stone behind you. One deters the enemy, one deters time. That's it.

Also, nothing says god tier like hiding in a stone cube.

KnightGabe13 likes this.
  16. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

god tier is on par with using hacks without the hacks
    that or having 1k ping and still be able to play

17. qaq456

qaq456 Catapult Fodder

Noc is right. Staircases are impossible to get past. Just kidding.

18. BlueLuigi

Again entombing in that sense is not actually what entombing is, the problem with all of these silly names people decided to give things out of the blue is that they are stupid and misguiding. Again entombing is a temporary tactic, it works great and serves it's purpose, don't like it, then waste your time getting him out, have fun.

What you perceive they are thinking when they use either tactic is wrong and again your attempt to imbue these tactics with certain traits and identify them to people with certain personalities is simply ridiculous. The only thing that matters is whether it's effective or not, the answer is usually yes. If you keep repairing that stone, whether you go somewhere or not you are wasting someone else's time, the minute the coast is clear you can move again. If you are standing still and people don't see you (works way too fucking often) it's effective.

the tactic has many ways that it can profit you severely:
    1)Wait for enemies to pass by, when they are all way up sneak behind their lines get their flag and stpo them from being able to get to you, follow tunnel you make back to your side, win. This involves the initial HIDING while entombed
    2)Distract enemies with silliness
    3)Save your life as long as possible, instead of just fucking DYING, waiting it out to see if more possibilities open, more often than not if some knights make it up to you miraculously nd you open for them that can be a game winner and I've seen it be so MANY times, as well as having done it myself.

Termiting is very similar to entombing, the only difference is that termiting is a very active noisy and distracting tactic whereas entombing is very silent, takes a lot of skill to deploy properly and is usually accompinied by some digging but only whne others aren't around.

The problem of course with entombing these days is that a lot of faggots use debug mode and just fucking "trolololl I see you down there" and you're fucked.

Rayne likes this.
  19. hexalslug

hexalslug Bison Rider

I think it's you who misses the point, I don't think you have read my post earlier in this thread, or blueluigis, properly. Even that type of entombing is not a useless tactic. In many cases it will be preferable to the alternative of death, and depending on the team you're playing against, can help your team a lot. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter where you are encased in stone or if you did it "just because you're scared of dying", if one or more enemies is attempting to get to YOU instead of advancing against your team, then your usefulness to your team is either neutral or positive. Usually, the amount of enemies trying to get you will be 2 or more, I see it all the time, even up to 5 or 6 people if they are close to their base. That's very helpful to your team, if you have 4 people after you, that's 2 knights and 2 builders who aren't on the front lines or repairing towers. As opposed to your team's 1.

Riletyface and BlueLuigi like this.
  20. thebonesauce

See, that's why labels on these types of things are retarded. As a temporary tactic, awesome. No problem. I can't tell you how many games I've played where a dude just surrounds himself in stone just below ground level, in full view, just sitting there because he doesn't want to play/die/whatever. I passed him about 5 times as an archer (this was about a month ago) over a span of about 10-15 minutes and he never moved from the spot he was in.Sure, it prolongs death and that's all well and cool, but it's really annoying and ESPECIALLY annoying when you consider the ones that do it at the very end of the game and just keep digging down, leaving stone behind. (You could, of course, just cap the flag and call it a day, but you know, kids these days like to kill everyone instead of, you know, capturing the flag.) I dunno, I just think it's pointless when your team is down on lives and you decide to encase yourself in stone. I've had plenty of these guys saying, "LOL I WAS JUST A DISTRACTION," but there was nothing to distract us from because we were still just outside of their base and they had no tunnels or anything going to stop us.

Now of course, any tactic can be used to great effect in the right hands, but in the wrong hands... And I honestly can't tell you of a single time in the last 5-6 months that I've been playing where this tactic actually WORKED. I (personally) feel there are far more useful and efficient tactics than, "surround myself in stone, distract two dudes and hope for the best."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.