1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Ethnic heads and female voice

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by bru-jaz, Jan 6, 2016.

Tags:
Mods: Rainbows
  1. bru-jaz

bru-jaz Haxor

Why there aren't any not-caucasian heads in kag like negroid or asian?
    A lot of brazilian people play this game ie. And i have no doubt that some players from US must be black.

And a little thing: Female knight makes male voice when slash. Also the "wilhelm scream" when you die as female should have a higher pitch or something, it keeps sounding as a guy shouting.
    I'm aware of the rule 37.. but it just doesnt seems to be ok hearing a girl with a man's voice..(maybe the default female is transexual.. who knows, with this whole tolerance wave in the world, could it be)

8x, Achillios and AmestriStephen like this.
  2. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

I mean, it's called King Arthur's Gold, meaning it's probably taking place in medieval England (hence all the white people). Also, pretty sure there was plans for a skin tone changer, but it never worked out.

3. Rainbows

Rainbows KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Well I believe we ran out of the amount of additional heads we could add into the game because of coding issues. Or maybe Geti made that up to stop people asking for custom heads.
    That said if we are historical about it we are talking post roman empire britain. The Bretons of the time still traded to some extent with the rest of the empire and would have traders and people from Hispania and Morocco and so on. Non whites were uncommon outside of trading ports but still there.

Neither of these are bad idea but the question is whether they are gonna be things the devs pay attention to if they have other concerns.

PUNK123 and bru-jaz like this.
  4. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

There's actually a black head ingame as Guro's custom head. Looks very problematic on the white builder body.

We can add more normal heads, just not custom ones without messing with the head code.

There was actually just meant to be a skin colour setting/option that would automatically recolour the skin of the head and class sprites. It was implemented but disabled over concerns of taking too much texture memory. I'll see if we can get it working again at some point.

Diprog, icemusher, 8x and 6 others like this.
  5. bru-jaz

bru-jaz Haxor

Never mind. Thanks all of you .
    It's just we were talking about that days ago with a brazilian friend of mine. But if nobody ask for it besides me, it really doesnt worth to bother.
    -
    And what about the female voice? It's just a really minor aesthetic thing, but ive noticed it years ago (?) and it seems it has never been changed.

6. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Voice actors are expensive and getting suitable sounds for free can be tricky. Wouldn't be impossible but just fixing the pitch modulating (properly, instead of the current x2 speed super-pitch) would probably be simpler.

bru-jaz likes this.
  7. ScriptKiddy

ScriptKiddy Shipwright

Voice actor for a "huhh"? Why don't you just ask to a female friend to make a simple "huhh" on a microphone?

8. Geti

Considering there were complaints (in this thread) about using the wilhelm scream; getting sounds for fall dmg, injury/stun, falling scream, and wilhelm is the minimum. Its definitely the way to do it for game jams or if we're in a pinch - the thing to take from it is that sadly, its not a priority for us.

EhRa likes this.
  9. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

I kind of like the female character's "Echk" noise, I had no idea it was just a sped up version of the male grunt...

blackjoker77777 and EhRa like this.
  10. Geti

I think it'd work a bit better sped up a little less - you're right that it totally changes the feel of the sound but it's over too quickly - and the pitch changes are not applied everywhere unfortunately

11. bru-jaz

bru-jaz Haxor

this is a cheap example of how could it be only changing the pitch. Although it's a very poor editing (ive only changed the pitch, a little more in some audios and less in others) i think it sounds better than hearing a girl screaming like a guy.
    The "female" audios starts from 0:07 .

Attached Files:

12. MadRaccoon

MadRaccoon Haxor

You should warn people to lower the volume before playing that. It scared the shit out of me.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  13. BearKnight

BearKnight Shark Slayer
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

it went from injury to zombie. to me it just sounded plain un-natural.

14. bru-jaz

bru-jaz Haxor

What can i say. I left the volume exactly as the original file. If you go to Base/Entities/Characters/Sounds/Wilhelm.ogg will sound the same as the other.
    I don't know, maybe because it's a scream that you scared, but it's at the same level as any music you could hear on youtube i.e. So maybe your speakers were too high.
    [​IMG]

MadRaccoon likes this.
Mods: Rainbows