1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Fight The Dragon (Awesome Diablo-sandbox game)

Discussion in 'Other games' started by Klokinator, Sep 27, 2014.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Edit: Oops, it's titled "Fight the dragon" not KILL the dragon. My bad.

I found a game on Steam that is quite possibly the most addictive thing I've played since... since... well, KAG, actually. It has an incredible 3 man dev team, they respond to just about every request post on the steam forums, they update the game constantly, and did I mention the game itself is extremely wicked fun?

Yeah, seriously, if you have or had even a passing interest in Diablo, you gotta see this game.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/250560

The game is currently on sale for 40% off and I strongly recommend you buy it. This dev team is going places.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  2. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Did you get paid to put this crap up?
    Sorry but that ain't close to worth $15, you can play Path of Exile for free if you liked Diablo, you can buy Grim Dawn for high quality ARPG if you like it, there's Marvel Heroes for semi-casual but still well balanced ARPG (also free), there's Diablo 3 if you're looking to spend money on 'Quality' (and shit market/uniques dropping like water).

What does this bring to the table other than a price point that's too high for it? It looks like someone turned Cube World into an ARPG :/

Maybe if it actually ever gets enough content it'll be worth the $15, but as it stands it barely looks worth the $8, no disrespect to the devs, it's just that there are more ambitious completed products in the same market of higher quality, so the niche it's pretty much non-existent, people who want to pay for an ARPG, but don't want to pay $40+, and want quirky blocky graphics.

Oh and I guess Van Helsing 2 is actually around that price range, kind of cartoony, and probably way better (based on videos and some reviews I watched of this game, versus actually playing Helsing).

(Half the games I listed work on Linux/Mac as well, so even that is already taken care of in the others).

kittycity and 101i like this.
  3. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Lol hate on it (For no reason, considering you haven't played it) all you want, but I'm playing it right now and I can't get enough of it. At the least it has a dev team that are competent and know what they're doing and are passionate for their game. That's pretty rare these days, especially with steam early access usually meaning "5 updates then drop the game".

Sorry, I thought this section was for posting cool new games people might like playing. Your opinion is not god.

Incidentally, I took a look at the path of exile game you mentioned. It's not even remotely close to what this game is about. This game is all about community created content, it has an advanced curation system that allows the community to police itself, and above all it doesn't fall into the rut other games do where "Superguy's Awesome Map" posted the day the game comes out stays on top forever and owns the thumbs up count. That's pretty major. This means my map created today can become just as popular as a map released by a beta tester or someone who has had hundreds of likes for months, since the game includes a random non-voted map feature where you can play maps that haven't been rated yet. Maps that suck get downvoted, maps that rock get upvoted.

Also, the game you mentioned, Path of Exile, is a f2p with microtransactions. No thanks.

I can't believe you'd quote Marvel Heroes as a good game. Just... lol.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  4. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

It does not look all that "Awesome." It looks more like a pet project (polished one at that) that a few people have been tinkering on for a while. At first glance it does not seem to do stuff that other games already do it better (FATE games come to mind).

5. Anonymuse

Anonymuse Arsonist

I'd like to point out that PoE is an excellent game, but only fell apart in the late game. It's microtransactions are only for cosmetic effects, never anything else.

6. BlueLuigi

The community created content sounds like the only thing it has going for it, in an ARPG if that's really what you're looking for, that's the only niche I suppose it actually fills, IIRC Torchlight2 had something similar but not as robust though.
    As for 'microtransactions' as stated above GGG is the only company in the last 5+ years that doesn't sell anything AT ALL in their store that can be p2w, the only things are excess bank space (which you don't need, it's just nice), and cosmetics. If the game you were talking about was free it might be able to contend in an ARPG arena, but the thing is given your knowledge of other ARPGs I assume Diablo 2 was your first, and this game is your second.

Marvel Heroes is actually a pretty decent game if you bother to get far, their model however is nowhere near as player-friendly as Path of Exile's when it comes to mtx, but the endgame and midgame is pretty fun, the characters play differently enough minus a few, there's a new class that's fairly different every 1-3 months (There is one coming out every month July-December with an almost entirely new kit). It just suffers from very poor inventory management and having to buy more space for how little you get. Everything can be acquired otherwise but most of it is too much of a grind.

As far as Fight the Dragon goes, if it was free it'd be something to try for a day or two, outside of creating content (which isn't for everyone), that looks like what you'd get out of it, when for $10 more you can get Grim Dawn which will probably give you 2+ weeks of good midhigh quality content.

The only reason I can see for getting into this game over those at it's price point is if you can't do Gore, but honestly if you can't do Gore, how did you get into the genre? D2 was full of it, leaving only maybe Torchlight as an entrance.

It would be like getting into Dota 5 years ago and saying you don't like RTS.

7. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Um, the game has a ton of gore. Things explode dramatically and gib everywhere when killed.

I have no idea why you're assuming this. ARPG is one of my favorite genres. I've played more than 4 dozen of them, with roguelikes games and roguelites being the only genre's I play more. Titan Quest was fun bu got boring quickly. Diablo 2 was and still is awesome. Diablo 3 is boring. Any game with microtransactions is terrible. Any game with slow grinding is terrible. Any game with boring abilities and yawn-inducing linear gameplay is also boring.

Titan Quest, the Fate series, and Torchlight 1 (NOT 2, I can't stand 2) are the only ARPG's aside from Diablo 2 that I've remotely enjoyed as much as FTD. 7 hours in and I expect 100 more from this game. The multiplayer is fucking fantastic, and if this game got more popular maybe more devs would make an example of it.

8. BlueLuigi

I was referring to (similar to Torchlight) it's more cartoony style, making the gore not as big of a deal. If I see gore in Minecraft it's not that big of a deal, in CoD it's a lot more shocking.

Guess we'll see how the game progresses, it's still in Alpha so it has the ability to become much larger, when it was just 2 acts PoE wasn't super amazing, but has become much better, likewise this game can definitely grow into it, we'll just have to see how well of a job it does with official content and perhaps community picks. As far as online multiplayer ARPGs go honestly I don't think more than a dozen even truly exist, much less 2 dozen. If you're only counting single player it's not quite the same (given how large the genre can be, similar to how vague RPGs themselves are). A lot of them are just barely not there and considered instead simply MMORPGs instead of MMOARPGs[Doesn't exist]/OARPGS (What most people mean by ARPGs in the last ten years).

Honestly depending on who you ask Zelda is an ARPG instead of just an RPG. Specifically what most people mean by ARPG these years however are Diablo 2-style ARPGs, of which perhaps 10 exist.

Mods: BlueLuigi