1. If you have a problem and need help, create a new thread with a title that briefly describes the problem.
    Do not use titles like 'Help!' or 'I have a problem!'
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

FRAPS Lag ever since 370

Discussion in 'General Help' started by ockpii, May 7, 2012.

1. ockpii

ockpii Horde Gibber

Hello, everyone.
    I just have this issue where FRAPS starts out perfect but after a while starts lagging. It used to not lag for me. It seems it has started since 370 was released. Any suggestions?

Thank you

2. Garreth

Garreth Catapult Fodder

Thats not the issue of KAG - your processor or hard drive can't keep up with the recording

3. ockpii

ockpii Horde Gibber

I know how fraps works, thanks. The thing is, it's only started doing that now.

4. Garreth

Garreth Catapult Fodder

I had no issues with fraps in current build. Please describe your hardware, and also check if this is happening in other games. What version of fraps do you use? How long does it take to start lagging?

5. ockpii

ockpii Horde Gibber

I can give you an example, actually. you can see how much of a good framerate it starts on, and then starts lagging at about 1:00 (it takes about 5 minutes) and gets back at full throttle at 4:13 (starting to lag a few minutes after that).

Hardware is not the best, but haven't been having this problem with KAG. Never had it. It happens on other games, such as Terraria.
    Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4400 @ 2.20GHz
    2.2 GHz
    Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
    Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family (I know this is the worst part)
    Video RAM - 1.7GB
    Pixel Shader Version - 4.0
    Vertex Shader Version - 4.0
    Free, at the moment - 81.0 GB

BlueLuigi likes this.
  6. Garreth

Garreth Catapult Fodder

You've got nice accent:)

Anyway, dual core should handle the excess load that FRAPS produce, but to be sure you might want to monitor CPU usage during recording. Also you could remove FRAPS overlay during recording (I'm not sure if you have this on or off as it is not shown on the video).

Oh, and if when it lags, you stop recording and record again, will it lag?

BlueLuigi likes this.
  7. ockpii

ockpii Horde Gibber

Thanks ;)

I think that the graphics card just can't take the energy of it all, for some reason. There's no Fraps overlay (no FPS counter, if that's what you're talking about).

It kind of makes the whole computer lag. If I give a small rest, the computer picks its pace back and I can record nicely again.

8. Garreth

Garreth Catapult Fodder

Ok, so one more thing came to my mind. Install some kind of temperature monitoring software and check if your temperatures and CPU speeds are fine during the gameplay with the recording. Problem might be of that kind, that something overheats (processor likely), and automatically lowers it's speed. Then after a while it cools down, and then you can have full speed for a while. 370 build would be just a coincidence for your problems then.

9. ockpii

ockpii Horde Gibber

Right, that may be the problem. Computer tends to get hot when running games. But I have it elevated and with no fan obstruction. And, also, again, why would it just start now?

10. Garreth

Garreth Catapult Fodder

Maybe this KAG version is more demanding for the CPU usage? There are experiments with reducing the CPU usage with the cost of the bandwidth, but I didn't think it was affecting clients - only servers. I assume, that you've got notebook - in advanced power management you can choose the policy of cooling down the processor. Check if you have this set to active, because otherwise it first lowers CPU frequency, then it starts cooling.
    Also check this temperatures with Aida64 or something, because you might need to clean out your radiator and/or change the thermal greese.

11. ockpii

ockpii Horde Gibber

Turns out it's already set to active.

12. Garreth

Garreth Catapult Fodder

You know, that won't prevent the lowering of the processor frequency, but it only changes how to start cooling the CPU.

13. ockpii

ockpii Horde Gibber

I've managed to get my CPU to a cooler temperature by changing the way it sits on the desk. It doesn't go dead-choppy, now, it's still playable. But it went from perfect smooth 30 to about 15.

14. Downburst

Downburst Mindblown Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Maybe cleaning your PC. Get all the dust out of the coolers with a can of compressed air. Or just a vacuum cleaner, just dont be too harsh then......

15. Garreth

Garreth Catapult Fodder

From my experience it's the best to dismount the computer and get to the radiator. I know, that in notebooks it can be hard, but using compressed air can just tamp all the dust/hair into clogs, and do more worse than good. And vacuum cleaners are not that powerfull. Also while having the computer dismounted, you can change the thermal paste (especially if the computer is 2 years old +) and thermal pads, which greatly improves cooling. If you think you cant do it alone, then computer services probably wont take much for that. But make sure, that they are trustworthy and that they will put the thermal greese that you bought:)

inactive_account likes this.
  16. ockpii

ockpii Horde Gibber

Good tips, I'll try.
    KAG doesn't lag when I'm not recording, it's only when I am. This didn't happen before. I didn't have a perfect 30, then I switched to fast graphics and framerate was perfect. I start recording it fine, and then it starts to lag.

17. Downburst

Downburst Mindblown Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

yea recording takes a lot of power, if you want it to record on a higher framerate, record on a lower resolution.

18. FliesLikeABrick

FliesLikeABrick THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

This is actually exactly what I thought, once you said "it's like the whole computer lags and then once I stop it goes back to normal after a few minutes" (paraphrasing). Check that your cpu and case fans aren't clogged up with dust and look for other potential cooling issues.

19. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Just want to say that I noticed a similar problem in more recent builds, and all I did was redownload fraps and update it (was previously using portable version now using regular as well) and I get no lag and can record sound flawlessly, I like it.

20. gamerrjames

gamerrjames Horde Gibber

amigod, i luv your vids man,