1. If you have a problem and need help, create a new thread with a title that briefly describes the problem.
    Do not use titles like 'Help!' or 'I have a problem!'
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Getting DDos'd

Discussion in 'General Help' started by PixieKeira, Mar 4, 2013.

1. PixieKeira

PixieKeira Shopkeep Stealer
    1. Delta Force - Delta

Recently I've noticed unusual and lengthy lag spikes, that always end in me getting disconnected and out of internet for 10-15 + minutes. I checked my router's logs and I noticed I'm getting pinged a thousand times. This is known as a DDos, or Denial Of Service attack. It only happens when I play KAG for a few, so it must be a butthurt player or the sort. It's shitty to be so damn good at this game that people are DDosing you out of clan wars. Now my question: How can I prevent ping attacks? Networking is not my strong point. :QQ:

2. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

To clarify: DDoS - Distributed Denial of Service. In short - an attack of many computers sending small packets to one target in order to "block it".
    I found nice PDF from some company (probably filled with advertisements from them) which describes it kinda well. You can read it: http://www.blockdos.net/bd-profile.pdf
    As to blocking such attacks...it's not really possible. Let me find quote from IRC...here it is (probably could be corrected as I'm not networking guy.):
    What I would do in your place would be to actually report it to your ISP. If you have IP of that guy - you should provide it to them.

inactive_account and Froghead48 like this.
  3. PixieKeira

1. Delta Force - Delta

Thanks for the timely and accurate response, I guess my two options are to either get a better processor than my attacker, or report my attacker's dynamic IP address :QQ:

I'm getting several different IP addresses pinging me in the logs. I tried a WhoIs lookup on several of them, and Im getting a few odd countries, mostly South American. Might be my attacker is using a proxy?

4. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

No idea. Just report it to your ISP. They will handle it.

5. PixieKeira

1. Delta Force - Delta

Alright, hoping for the best...

6. kaizokuroof

kaizokuroof Agkubuk|'Kaizokuroof' Cilobakil, Roofpointy Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

Are you sure you're getting DDOS'd? I know my server had some problems with the API and I found myself being disconnected and my server lagging, however it does seem to have stopped. Try playing KAG again (if you haven't already) to see if it persists, if it does, Furai has already provided you with the best solution.

If you do have a dynamic IP from your ISP, you can usually power your modem off for about 30 minutes, when you reboot, you should have a new IP. Just keep in mind that some ISP have a 24 hour lease time.

Best of luck,

Kaizokuroof

7. lavalord

lavalord Haxor Staff Alumni Donator Tester