1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Google+

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Shadlington, Jun 30, 2011.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Any of you fine folks got a Google+ account yet?
    If so, could I get an invite?

(I'm aware the invite system is closed temporarily but it'll be back soon, hopefully)

2. HODOR

HODOR Guest

3. Shadlington

Yeppers, seen that.
    That comic made me think 'hey, that's actually kinda true'.
    That, plus half my twitter feed exploding with people talking about G+ or asking for invites for G+ is the reason I'm now looking for a G+ invite myself ;)

4. poe

poe Shopkeep Stealer

Google is starting to take too much information from people....

5. Shadlington

'Starting'? ;P

I've never cared much for the privacy debate (beyond 'don't sell my info to companies without my permission').
    At this point google knows almost everything it needs to know about me anyway so a little more won't hurt, and what trust I do have in them is greater than the trust I have in facebook.

6. Snow

Snow Guest

Google has already been taking too much info from people. A lady who used to work for the Privacy Commissioner in Canada or one of the provinces warned us (in programming class) never ever to use google for email. I do have an account, but I rarely use it and used a fake name and age. Too bad I can never select 300 years old as my age when I sign up for stuff. I mean what if I was 300.. It's possible.

7. Shadlington

My phone, browser, documents, satnav, email and (of course) search engine are all google-powered so at this point there is little they don't know about me.
    I know they use my data to target me with advertising but that's okay with me so long as they don't sell my data on without my permission - which they don't.

...Though don't take that as meaning I'm not suspicious of them. I just trust them to know that privacy breaches are bad for business.

8. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Well, just never give your REAL personal information to them, for an example I always lie my age and day of birth, and put to my name 'kakka pönttö' for an example. (which ain't my real name)

9. Shadlington

...why? I want my friends to be able to find me.

Anyway, I have my G+ account now :D

EDIT: It is awesome.

10. sado

sado Shopkeep Stealer

I'm sort of Google fanboy so I pretty much can't have other opinion than I have, but I don't really care (yet) about them having all the info... as some important Google guy once said - "it's true that we've got sh*tloads of your data... but would you prefer them to be had by someone else?" I think I wouldn't. (MS, Apple? :/) And I don't live in USA so I don't fear they might pass my info to the government after being forced by them or something. I don't feel anyone there would care about me, to begin with. It's an interesting topic though, I'd love to see some opposing opinions.

(and if anyone looks for g+ invite, pm meh)

Mods: BlueLuigi