1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Got spikes?

Discussion in 'Builder' started by Jlordo, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Jlordo

Jlordo Nobody Donator

Traps have become a main structure in KAG history. However, there are two opinions on what traps should do: kill enemies or slow them down.
    screen-13-01-31-17-58-24.png
    Here I have shown two identical pit traps, except for the exclusion of spikes in one of them.

Spikeless pits usually rely on the player to suicide (Drink cyanide) or cause them to wait for 3+ minutes, hoping a builder comes along, effectively rendering the player useless for however long he/she stays in the trap.
    Spike traps usually kill the player immediately. (In this trap it doesn't. I should have fixed that.)

What is your opinion?

EDIT: Apparently I should rephrase the question.
    Which do you think is more useful?

killatron46 and LucasTT like this.
  2. Jim_Dale

Jim_Dale Arsonist

Really? I rarely see this happen (especially the part about drinking cyanide). As you said, spike pits *should* kill the player immediately. Otherwise this shit happens:
    • Enemy players are in the pit, and climb on top of each other to get out. Usually leaves one or two in the pit if it's deep enough.
    • The bottom layer of the pit is broken in some places, allowing the enemy to jump around and harass teammates using teambridges to go across.
    • Dumbfuck teammates jump in to kill trapped enemy and die. Enemy eventually heals to full health from dropped hearts.
    • Dumbfuck teammates throw bombs into the spike pit. While it will probably kill the enemy, now your builder has to clean up after those gufs.
    • Enemy player has bombs, which they can use to get out, wreck your shit from a relatively safe area, or both of those.
    • Die stupidly jumping around.

3. Jlordo

Jlordo Nobody Donator

Than what do you see when enemies fall in spikeless pits?
    If they don't sit there or suicide what do they do?

4. Guitarman

Guitarman Haxor Tester Official Server Admin

He had spike pits and regular pits mixed up when he said that.

5. arcanecat

arcanecat Shark Slayer

I favor 1 block deep spike traps, as to just annoy enemy knights, or bomb jumpers. As for what Jim_Dale said, I agree fully, that spike traps should kill peoples immediately, to aviod others trying to kill trpped players, and to make your spike trap worth it for the resources you used.

The trap on the left is time consuming, since you took the time to dig the hole. But even if you trap knights, it only takes one knight to get another knight out of the pit. It would be more beneficial to kill/or damage people. Thus, the one on the right is more useful, but you'll need to built the spike trap in rows of team bridges with spikes to make it useful. So it instant kills/or near instant kills any knights.
    edit:don't listen to me, GloriousToast is Glorious

6. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

they sit around and do shit nothing except be a distraction.

left one is better
    1 helpless knight doing nothing in pit makes game temporarily one less player doing shit (ie 15v14+1 doing nothing)
    the player has to suicide means he loses more coins then being killed, or he has to wait to be killed which means more time 15v14+1 doing nothing. (removing spikes adds the possibility of doing nothing)(really they should just let them selves be killed, they keep more money that way)

in unlimited where lives don't matter death is only a minor thing

Brandon816 likes this.
  7. Guitarman

Guitarman Haxor Tester Official Server Admin

I would say, after reading the above comments and playing the game, the pit on the left is good if there are limitless lives and the pit on the right is good if there are limited.

8. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Spike pits are pretty much useless. They take far too much time, resources and manpower to build even a simple one. The best/easiest method of spike pits are small, 2wide x (x)deep embedded in darkened tunnels. sorta like this.

:castle_wall::dirt::castle_wall::dirt::castle_wall::dirt:
    :door::dirt_bg::dirt_bg::dirt_bg::dirt_bg::dirt_bg:
    :door::dirt_bg::dirt_bg::dirt_bg::dirt_bg::dirt_bg:
    :castle_wall::dirt_bg::bridge::castle_wall::dirt::castle_wall:
    :castle_wall::spikes_bg::spikes_bg::castle_wall::dirt::dirt:

You can continue it's depth ad nauseum. Especially in darkened caverns, this is incredibly useful and works like a shredder.

arcanecat likes this.
  9. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

The trap on the left.

The trap on the left uses 220 stone and 60 wood. However, making a tower out of 220 stone and 60 wood is more worth your time and effort.

10. Jim_Dale

Jim_Dale Arsonist

I'm quite sure that I covered that very well in my original post.
    Nope, I did not.
    I think all of those demonstrated quite clearly that I knew that I was talking about >>spike pits<< and not something else.

11. Jlordo

Jlordo Nobody Donator

And yet you are still completely and utterly confusing. The part you quoted was when I was talking about spikeless pits and I was asking what they could possibly do other than that. You went on with reasons for a SPIKE pit. Not a spikeless pit.
    And are you saying you prefer spike pits over spikeless ones?
    Thats the idea I got after studying your messages.

12. Jim_Dale

Jim_Dale Arsonist

Now you're making sense. I thought you didn't understand what I was saying instead.
    But as killatron46 said, I don't see much reason for a pit completely lined with spikes. Spikes are deceptively expensive and many spikes around a spike pit honestly aren't going to be doing anything.
    For example, I think spikes on the floor in the 2/3 of the pit closer to the left are not worth the stone, perhaps just making that area deeper is more reasonable to prevent knights from simply using the bare floor to jump onto the spiked portion easily.
    The spikes between trapbridges are also worthless, AFAIS they don't kill anyone anymore after the update that broke auto- and air-spikes.

If I can get onto my computer soon enough, I will show you an example of exactly what I mean.