1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Got Wood?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mister_Meatball, Jun 1, 2012.

?

Got Wood?

1. Yes

42.0%
  2. No

10.0%
  3. You are being immature Meatball

36.0%
  4. I sense a deeper meaning to this

56.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mister_Meatball

Mister_Meatball Base Burner

I saw the announcement on the KAG Launcher a while ago saying wooden structures are being worked on. This caused me to start thinking, what impacts could this (and water in relation to wood) have on gameplay?

Since wood is now going to be used as a secondary building material should stone become at least a little rarer on the maps? (Not will it, but do you think less stone would be beneficial to balanced gameplay.)

How are we going to use water counteract fire, King Arthur's bucket brigade?

Could it become harder for archers to stockpile arrows since more wood is being used by builders? Maybe tactical archers that are not sitting on a lawn chair atop the battlements spewing a constant stream of arrows could come about because of this? (Of course some would say this is a good thing.)

How could we take this "fire" stuff and apply it to wooden structures?

How much do you think the different wooden structure elements should cost.

How else could this effect gameplay for better or worse?

2. -Grey-

-Grey- I change my profile. Donator

I think you will be able to use fire arrows so you could set wooden buildings on fire or exploding objects such as bombs or kegs would work similarly.
    How are we going to use water counteract fire?
    You have a point there. Building wooden structures would be utterly meaningless, if you couldn't save the buildings before they burn to ashes. Perhaps the admin staff developed a new kind of shop, where a builder could change to be a firefighter :) , but I can even imagine that you will have to use budges in order to put out the fire.
    I think the new options like fighting under water, setting buildings on fire will surely give you good times so the game will get better eventually.

MCrypa likes this.
  3. MCrypa

MCrypa Haxor

Since wood is now going to be used as a secondary building material should stone become at least a little rarer on the maps? (Not will it, but do you think less stone would be beneficial to balanced gameplay.)
    Well, wood is not going to be a solid building material for main defenses. I think it's rather used as a "Quick repair" or something to slow the enemy down, as knights are most likely going to be able to destroy wood. (They can destroy every other wood item, so why not?)

How are we going to use water counteract fire, King Arthur's bucket brigade?
    Well, devs seem to have confirmed we are going to get "Water buckets" which we can use to extinguish fire with.

Could it become harder for archers to stockpile arrows since more wood is being used by builders? Maybe tactical archers that are not sitting on a lawn chair atop the battlements spewing a constant stream of arrows could come about because of this? (Of course some would say this is a good thing.)
    Of course more wood would be used, but I don't think it matters that much. Most people will most likely not use wood blocks that much, as it doesn't provide as much protection. In normal maps, there seem to be enough trees already. I almost never see people complaining about "MOAR WOOD"

Well, fire is naturally going to burn the wood blocks. It will probably spread if you don't extinguish, but I hope they don't make it spread too quickly.

How much do you think the different wooden structure elements should cost.
    Well, it is probably going to be like stone bricks. 10 for a block. 2 for a backwall.

How else could this effect gameplay for better or worse?
    Well, fire is probably going to spread to trees, catapults, outpost and other wooden structures. So people will be more careful with their buildings. On the other hand, griefers could just go around, burning everything...

-Grey- likes this.
  4. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

I could totally answer a lot of these question, but I won't. I'll just say that underwater combat is fun as hell and you can make stuff look pretty.

tur1sta and Ghozt like this.
  5. Deathspawn

Deathspawn Shopkeep Stealer

Well as long as it isn't Minecraft beta fire spreading...I'm fine with wooden structures.

KnightGabe13 likes this.
  6. goodyman8

goodyman8 Bison Rider

My 2 cents on the wood cost.
    They will probably be cheaper than stone bricks and walls.
    Why?
    It is weaker than stone, its something for quanity over quality and it would has a weakness against fire it would make it imbalanced to make it cost the SAME as stone bricks, besides you need wood for every workshop and stuff like outposts/cata's.
    And last but not least it is faster to harvest thick stones, so if it were to be the same price as stone bricks I doubt it would see a lot of use.

7. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

In the test version you get +6 wood every time you chop at a tree, that's to say every swing not every piece of tree, so at least the collection of wood is alot quicker. Pretty sure someone confirmed it's supposed to be, and will stay that way as long as it works out in playtesting.

8. Zuboki

Zuboki KAG Guard Tester

I feel that unless stone becomes significantly more limited (which water may contribute to), it will still be the main building material in 90% of cases. Why? Think about it.

The first defensive structures are built during the round's start, with the resupply tent actively replenishing stone. At this point, there wouldn't be any disadvantages to using stone to build all of your fortifications, assuming both take the same amount of time to place. So right off the bat, that's two thirds of the map covered in stone buildings.

Then, the round starts. Off you rush to the middle, to secure a midway keep for your future assault. This is natural; healthy map control ensures you have the advantage in breaching your enemy's main base, while protecting yours from harm, and grants additional access to resources. Certainly you wouldn't want such an essential buffer to be made of wood? Especially considering all the stone you can get from the knights and dead enemy builders early in the game...

Really, the only use I'd see for wooden buildings is last-ditch delays, roofs, decoys for knights to attack while you drop stone on them, or saving stone when you have a catapult and you're confident that no one will get past you. I may be wrong, of course, seeing as I've never played testing, but from a preliminary analysis, here I stand.

Rayne likes this.
  9. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

i wonder how many more buildings we will see that are in the shape of wooden penises

10. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I hope we don't get fire arrows as most want unless they default cost over 100c per arrow.
    Would be ridiculous...

tur1sta and Rayne like this.
  11. Saverous

Saverous Shopkeep Stealer

Also, Geti says that there will be wave Action in the water. However, I think wooden structures are not practical. They are probably going to be used for quickly- build and secure locations.

12. GloriousToast

way too overprice D:
    maybe get special arrows coated in oil. only carrying 25 ( 10% of max number of arrows) of them then be able to light them on fire with a torch. you should only be allowed for 2 full charges before the arrow burns it self out inflicting damage and/ or setting them on fire. also if they get hit while charging, they will catch themselves on fire
    price will be 15-20c
    also i hope we get some sorta flaming boulder :D (i hope for boulders giving off rainbow trails and possibly give off light

13. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Do you have any idea how hardcore fire will be? And being able to shoot it at a structure? Not really that op. but we'll see how fire sizes up with stone and wood and such.

14. tur1sta

tur1sta Random snippet here ಠ__ಠ Donator

I think fire arrows would be ridiculous too since wooden defenses are pretty much useless against a rain of fire....heh...but if implemented i would like a significant counter-balance for it just because of it possibly reducing the use of wooden structures. Then again, I can't say on how effective fire arrows are against wooden defenses until the update.
    rices wouldn't be much of a problem since servers can edit prices of items now. I'm not so sure about editing arrow strength coz I know I've seen some nuclear kegs in Auzzie server before.

I am highly interested in water combat and it's implementation on the battlefield. Wooden structures can be used to save stone mats that could be focused on a more fortified front. Application of wood and stone buildings are obviously going to change the way builders do their job.

Stockpiles are in the works from the most recent blog update.

I also believe that wells connected to water lines would be a possibility,but I can't confirm that coz I can't find the thread I read it from.

15. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

How about fire arrows and ONLY fire arrows have the capability of exploding kegs and workshops. I especially see the need to change how arrows currently interact with workshops, and if fire arrows are how archers can contribute to siege rather than PvP, let that replace normal arrows causing workshops to burst into bits.

EDIT: In fact, it would be neat if workshops just caught fire, while keg workshops in particular exploded spectacularly when hit with enough fire arrows. Heh heh.

16. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

>launching fiery boulders from catapults?

Also, do you think trees will catch on fire? That could be devastating on certain maps with high tree density.

17. tur1sta

tur1sta Random snippet here ಠ__ಠ Donator

I don't think forest fires would be implemented just because there is a high need for wood and it is a mechanic for archers.

18. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Sure the problem of fire arrows is gonna depend on how quickly things burn won't it? As for stone been the main building element won't that depend on the building time/resources from the tent? If you limited the stone you get even though it's unlimited the process of rushing to build and back makes it alot less overbearing, also geti mentioned that with islands in the game that'll take away from the need to have a build timer so much anyway, as your base can't be immediately rushed, and you have to naturally harvest resources more instead.

19. GloriousToast

soak boulders in oil and then set them on fire.
    i think the trees setting on fire should be set on a variable where default is off, so we can get a more realistic
    hardcore version of kag, if we ever wanted too.
    Also i think that fire arrows should be able to be in use by the time most players will be able to collect stone and make stone castles.
    the idea is wood is for early to mid late game and stone mid late to late game, while fire comes into roughly prior to mid late.

20. goodyman8

goodyman8 Bison Rider

What I would hope to see fire arrows like would be a fire version of the bomb and keg we have in game.
    Making regular fire arrows cover 3*3 starting area and being able to expand slowly and an ballista arrow cover the starting area of a regular explosive keg.
    The explosives are currently balanced like that, and I don't think it would be too OP or too slow like this either.