1. If you have a problem and need help, create a new thread with a title that briefly describes the problem.
    Do not use titles like 'Help!' or 'I have a problem!'
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Having trouble using IRC

Discussion in 'General Help' started by rocker2, Sep 13, 2012.

1. rocker2

rocker2 Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

Can somebody explain IRC or direct me to a thread on how to use it? I joined yesterday for the first time and clicked a button, and it said i had slapped somebody with a fish. HELP!

It would help if I got a full response to this, because I don't want to offend anybody on IRC.

bunnie and ParaLogia like this.
  2. WarrFork

WarrFork フォーク Donator Tester

3. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Ignoring what Warrfork said (since you already knew that information),

Etiquette for IRC: http://www.livinginternet.com/r/ru_chatq.htm (informal rules)

IRC commands: http://project89.com/quakenet-commands-cheat-sheet-8/#generalcommands

Now, since you were using webchat, certain commands are available by clicking on someone's name. These will appear before a person's name.

whois ~ gives you addtional information on the person
    query ~ lets you "PM" a person. Basically creates a tiny private channel that only you and that person can use.
    slap ~ gives the person a "slap". Basically it's used for grabbing the attention of someone you wish to talk to (don't spam it). (There is another way to get attention, see below)
    kick ~ kicks a person from chat. Can't do it if you don't have OP status (the @ sign next to someone's name)
    deop ~ takes OP away from someone. Same requirement as kick for use.
    voice ~ gives Voice to someone. This lets them speak if the channel is moderated (+m is set). Same requirement as kick for use.

To type something, you can simply type in the chat box at the bottom and press enter. Your sentence can not start with a \ or / because that the sign for the start of a command.

If you wish to get a specific person's attention. You can include their whole name in the message you send. This will ping them. You'll see what that looks like if someone includes your full name in a message. You can have chat complete the name by pressing TAB after typing the first few characters (this only works if the characters you typed are unique to one person only. If there were two people in IRC, named Joesph and Johnny, typing Jo would not be enough. You'd need to type in one additional character for it to auto complete the name for you.)

rocker2 and dnmr like this.
  4. rocker2

rocker2 Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

thanks for such a detailed response!!!

I will be using IRC this afternoon.
    </br>--- merged: Sep 14, 2012 9:08 PM ---</br>
    How do you join a chat?

5. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Well, by default, when clicking the tab that says IRC on the ribbion at the top of the forums, you'll join #kag.

However, lets say you want to join quakenet (this is the server/chat service #kag is in. If you use a different server like FreeNode or Synirc or whatever, trying to join #kag will put you in a totally different room, not the one you are looking for) by using the default page for webchat. You'd go here then: http://webchat.quakenet.org/

There you'd be able to join by typing a nickname (if someone else on the quakenet server has the same name, you won't be able to use it, so you'll need something else) and typing the channel in the channel box using the format #channelname.

Now lets say you want to join another channel while using webchat. You will not need to open a new tab and do this again, instead all you need to do is type /join #channel2name. A new mini tab will appear at the top of the client and you can switch between the 2 by clicking on them.