1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Hearts(?)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cagar, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Cagar

Cagar Bison Rider

---

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  2. Miaow

Miaow The Fanciest Pants always wins Donator Tester

I think it is random, why is that bad if it is?

3. Kagesha

Kagesha KAG Guard Tester

serverside setting, default is random though.

Code:
        heart_fallout_probability = 2        # 0 - no hearts; 1 - every death; 2.. - randomly probability of 2...

4. MechaTrickster

MechaTrickster Banned Donator

That would be a hot mess to drop hearts on every death. Just do guerrilla fighting until you see an open heart, if that worried about them.

5. MechaTrickster

MechaTrickster Banned Donator

Too many hearts would make some of the best players unstoppable, fully mirrored maps would just make me angry I like the terrain the way it is.

6. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

Like contrary has said many a time.. Make half heart drops possible and make them drop every single time. That would balance it and it wouldn't be reliant on luck.

Cagar likes this.
  7. Neat

Who says they'd be balanced? I'm saying the feature itself wouldn't be overpowered. Skilled players who can kill many before dying will be rewarded with lots of half hearts. But a noob who can't even kill 2 people before dying will be rewarded with 1 half heart, hardly doing much for their lives like the skilled player..

8. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Having nonrandom hearts would actually boost good players. Bad players = don't get hearts so it doesn't matter. Good players get hearts, need hearts, so it would be better if it's something they can rely on, as luck takes away from skill.

Someone (Neat probably?) suggested that loot should be visible and lootable by the killer of the loot dropper of a short period of time. I'm tired of the 2.5 health knight grabbing my heart only to suicide bomb two seconds later.

Neat likes this.
  9. MM

MM THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Full heart is dropped randomly, I don't see a way to make it better. Maybe you have ideas.
    There is going to be a half-heart dropped at every death, probably next release.

10. Neat

Yeah I was the one who first suggested item ownership. Thanks for bringing it up again :).

Also yay, that sounds great MM, can't wait to have some more survivability :)

11. Miaow

I actually like the luck aspect of it...

12. Nebuchadnezzar

Nebuchadnezzar Shopkeep Stealer

There is no balancing to be done with hearts, the ones who kill the most will get the most hearts regardless. I think the system is perfect the way it is, and if you really need to change it you can do so on your own server. I can't see any better way to do this aside from 100% heart drop rate which is just way overboard. We don't need more hearts on the battlefield, (especially not EVERY SINGLE PERSON dropping one) lets not turn this into a pseudo-recharging health game. I like that there is a sort of limit to every life you have. If you're lucky and get a heart or 2 then you last a bit longer, but that's it. There's hardly a penalty for dying anyways other than wasting your time.

13. Neat

We'd not all be dropping hearts. We'd all be dropping half hearts. Unless you somehow suck, usually you will be dropping some sort of resource on the floor. The battlefield is currently filled full of resources and you don't see them anywhere because they all get picked up. The half hearts would as well.

"The ones who kill the most will get the most hearts regardless."

I kill 5 people and get 1 heart out of random chance.

Someone else kills 2 people and gets 2 hearts out of random chance.

Your argument is invalid.

14. Nebuchadnezzar

Hearts are too easy to find as it is, perhaps half hearts should be much more common. Neither should be at 100% drop rate. I really like the heart drop the way it is actually, just common enough for me. Just my opinion though.

"I kill 5 people and get 1 heart out of random chance.

Someone else kills 2 people and gets 2 hearts out of random chance."

Repeat, probably 10 times or so needed, and in the long run the one who consistently gets more kills will most likely have gotten more hearts. Just from having more random chances.

15. Miaow

I'm not sure where the bad part is. Please elaborate.

16. HA1TER

HA1TER Shopkeep Stealer

Wow,so much fight for nothing...Take the heart if you see it whit E and share the love!Cmon,after every death?There will be heart grass all around the map,even if it is half or 1/4.Maybe only make it so that when you pick up the heart form the ground,no one can use it until you drop it.

17. Neat

Exactly. Why do people envisage half hearts littering the map when they'll get used? They might be more common than resource pickups shown but it won't be a mess. The more people killed, the more half hearts, but lets presume it was a knight killing them, that knight (unless he's insanely good) has probably taken a beating from killing 7 other people, and will go pick up most of the half hearts that were dropped.

But yeah, when it comes down to it I can't argue your opinion. If you think it would be bad, miaow and nebuch, you might be right, but we'll wait till it's being tested.

18. Nebuchadnezzar

I never said it was good for it to be random, but it seems to be the best option. Also I hope no one really took this as an argument, I see it as a healthy debate :D
    I can't really think of a good reason for it to be random but at the same time I can't find a good alternative. As for the randomness itself, there are many many variables on the battlefield. I'm sure for the most part hearts are not making the big difference over, say, player skill. A lot of the time it makes a huge difference, I'm just guessing not so much in general.

19. Wargod-Loki

Wargod-Loki Haxor

I didnt see anytime on heartdrops a problem... aswell Cagar, bad players cant do that, they're usually not picking up hearts... rly.

And that they are random is actually much more fun, a game NEEDS a small room of luckyness, such as a heartdrop-streak :D

20. Wargod-Loki

Wargod-Loki Haxor

Because its fun.
    Because its actually balanced, cauze you can aswell have a lucky heartdropp-streak.
    Because noobs will enjoy the game much more when they killed letz say 4 knights in a row with some lucky heart dropps.(or not lucky actually, cauze the same CAN HAPEN TO YOU!)