1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

How about gliders?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DARKSTAR1, Jun 8, 2011.

1. DARKSTAR1

DARKSTAR1 Guest

The type you climb a high tower, jump off of, and glide down...simple.

-The higher you are,the further you go.
    -They would only fly in one direction.
    -Knight class units cannot use them (that would be hell)
    -Their speed would at a fixed rate.
    -They would be twice the speed of a worker unit.
    -They can pass through trees.
    -They can be "shot down" with one arrow shot (making them two shot K.O. would be too complex with their speed).
    -They would require twelve(12) units of wood to build.
    -Once they hit ground, they automatically disband(destroy) themselves.

Anyone else want to see this happen?

2. bilbs

bilbs Guest

Not sure if I agree with the idea, but just some speculation about how it could be implemented.

Builders can build a glider launcher, in the same way they would build a catapult.
    But after building they would need to collect more wood and deposit it to load the launcher with a glider.
    Could require a decent amount of wood each time to reload it, and of course could get destroyed pretty quickly by enemies.

3. DARKSTAR1

DARKSTAR1 Guest

True, but then whomever is on the receiving end of the gliders can either put up a barrier or just spam the area with archers. So that could be a minute problem.

4. Gumball135

Gumball135 Guest

20 wood seems a bit much for something that won't actually be contributing much to the team at all. What actual use would it have to make it worth 20 wood, 8 more than the amount you need to build a catapult? 3-5 wood seems more about right. Unless, of course, you mean that the glider flies indefinitely?

I like the idea anywho.

5. Roast Veg

Roast Veg Guest

I think knights in gliders is perfectly reasonable, provided they don't fly so far.

6. DARKSTAR1

DARKSTAR1 Guest

True, maybe it should be less...perhaps twelve(12) then.

7. DARKSTAR1

DARKSTAR1 Guest

But they're already walking tanks in that their shield can't prevent any damage, and they can now destroy the "indestructible" blocks. I think they can do just fine walking, but I do see your point.

8. m00`

m00` Guest

no. no gliders! what the hell?

this game is set in medieval times, the first glider was invented in 1891. please leave at least some sort of historical significance in the game. the next thing someones going to want is machine guns, vehicles and helicopters

9. DARKSTAR1

DARKSTAR1 Guest

Someone could have found Leonardo's designs and perfected them? Marco Polo wrote about the Chinese having such gliders that held people. So of course its a probability.

10. vig

vig KAG Guard Tester

You would be better off building a sky bridge with that much wood

11. ArtCrusader

ArtCrusader Guest

Sky bridges suck.

12. nginferno

nginferno Guest

Its a viable tactic, and the problem with gliders is that they are kind of a waste of materials due to being one use.

tbh i dont see why someone would make multiple gliders and just fly over the enemy fortress when one skybridge can get the whole team across.

13. ArtCrusader

ArtCrusader Guest

Which is exactly the one reason why sky bridges ruin the game.

Gliders would be kind of balanced, because they cannot be used infinitly and don't allow an entire team to destroy the other team's base.

So make ladders vertical-only and implement gliders -> success!

14. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Ladders aren't going to be vertical only - we've found simpler ways of fixing the skybridge "issue" whilst not removing it altogether.

I actually kind of like this idea. Maybe later on we can implement more "fun" things like this - a glider building that you can build and then use 5 wood at to make a glider and scoot off into battle could be very interesting gameplay-wise, but for now we're keen to keep the medieval theme. If things like this (as well as anything involving magic) make it into the game we'll put a server flag up allowing you to turn them off again.

15. Overlord

Overlord KAG Guard Tester

As long as it cant be used rapidly I agree with this.

16. Kelaisnow

Kelaisnow Guest

I dunno, would Gliders be very practical if you are using them to fly over a fort? I mean, you'd be on the other side of their fort in enemy territory all by yourself, and I don't see you surviving very long! The game is strongly team-oriented, and since the Glider would only be able to carry one individual, it might not be all too effective. Especially with resistance up against gliders, I.E. Archers and Catapults.

Though, if you were able to do bombing runs with a knight in a Glider, then hell yes I'm up for those fun times.

17. Overlord

Overlord KAG Guard Tester

I don't think they would work as a full scale invasion use but just to get into their base and destroy some ladders and their catapults and whatnot. Unless your awesome as me and can take on an army :D.

18. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Who says multiple people couldn't grab a glider and do a raid together? That was what attracted me to this idea in the first place.

Bombing runs can come too.

19. Kelaisnow

Kelaisnow Guest

Oop, totally passsed over the the workshop idea, thought it was gonna be a one time heavy on resource build haha.

20. nginferno

nginferno Guest

Well if its like manufacturing equipment on a tower, then it certainly would be better than a flippin goddamn skybridge.

It would be very useful for players such as myself to break some stuff over enemy territory.