1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

I got grasp of the basics ... but what should I do now?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Socializator, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Socializator

Socializator Builder Stabber

Hi everyone,

I am completely new and I have to say that KAG got me hooked quite fast and somehow made me bought the gold version quite soon after trying the free one. The style of the game indeed suits me and I like the idea of mixing action, strong team play, and building (and building for actual reason, not just ... minecrafting). So far, I have probably like 5 hours of gameplay (= not really much).

But.

To me this game seems rather unfriendly for newcomers ... almost intimidating (and that is comming from someone who plays DF :-) ). I got grasp of the controls, read (hopefully important) parts of the wiki etc. Free servers seems to like noob bashing a lot (got actually almost votekicked and didnt ever recieved the reason). Even in gold server when I ask, not many (if anyone) actually bother with response and perhaps I can even star here https://forum.kag2d.com/threads/noobs-in-action.6513/. I have tried solo-zombies and couldnt survive even the first wave (how do I make myself both totaly locked up and available to migrants?).

But my point is not that the community is bad (which I am way to new to judge), but I have one (erm, several) questions - Where can I learn? Are there some basic guides? Some training servers? (not the beginner one, where builders are not allowed). Are there any less competetive matches or some training squads (I have found AIMTD)?

This game offers very little guidance (once you get the basics) or perhaps I have missed it somehow completely. So, is there any direction I should go?
    Because learning by trying/doing stuff on public servers seems to be seen as wrong.

2. Chinizz

Chinizz Arsonist

There is nothing you can do. You have to learn by the hard way. You can start to read stuff on the forum, here:migrant: .

Exept that, you have to play, play and play.

There is no of this kind of training server. Noob are just everywhere.

3. Socializator

oooh, that is exactly the stuff I have been looking for... I have somehow missed it. I have to admit I dint look much through forums (I was more stumbling through wiki.
    Thanks!

4. Bunnyboy

Bunnyboy Haxor

When I started playing KAG I found that archer was a very simple class to understand and play. So I recomend sticking to archer for a while untill branching out into builder and knight.

If your a new builder to KAG you tend to get bombarded with shit and negative comments from other players about your team spikes and a stairway to heaven made out of ladders.

The knight class just takes allot of getting used to
    Knight requires good timing and allot of pactiants when it comes to the right time to dish out a slash attack.

And you are more then welcome to join AIMTD. ;)

Saverous likes this.
  5. You learn when suffer.

Remember this. You can't read a guide how to win or how to play. You have to be hammered, shot, blew up, collapsed, bashed, fallen, drowned, eaten, slew and many other things to be good.
    Did you learn how to ride a bike by reading a book? No, you'd kissed the road many times. Same goes for KAG. But here you have to kiss a tower when having 88MPH velocity.
    People can call you a noob, nabster, nab, nub, newb, nobo, pub, ticket waster, idiot, moron, retard, scumbag and other things. But you know what? Just tell them to fuck off and make your slab tower. And then keep making slabs until some builder entombs inside and brings it down on your team. Then you stop making slabs, understand people calling you a pubtard, and start making useful things.
    They will yell, they will shout, they will scream. They will tell you to go back to Gayville. But that's how it works.
    You learn when suffer.

lehoon, SARGRA13, Riletyface and 13 others like this.
  6. Bunnyboy

Bunnyboy Haxor

Some of the most inspire ring words I have heard for a long time! We have all been there, the only guide I read before I started playing KAG was this one. :down:

Attached Files:

7. FlameHaze3

FlameHaze3 Shark Slayer

There are a TON of tricks when running around in this game, if you can, try and find a parkour server, they are rare, but somtimes up (recently [FR] had one up).
    The Official Mole Server, generally has THE best players in this game, and many of them are willing to help any new comers, just try not to get in the way of there building, or team kill them with collapses.
    But yeah, imo, best place to ask around is MOLE server, just the MOLE clan in general is pretty player-friendly, few acceptions, but thats ok, hope to see you on the battle-field!
    PS, you can also ask me questions on my profile page, i would be willing to answer questions.

8. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

This is absolutely mind boggling to me. How is it that KAG is considered so intimidating for newcomers, even relative to games like Dwarf Fortress? The absolute highest level of knight play is essentially just bash everything or slash spam from high ground. Archer is just go up into a tower and start spamming at stuff. You can be a decent builder simply by spamming up walls with drawbridges on both sides or spamming ladders at enemy towers. Not to reduce anyone's accomplishments in this game, as there are some nuances that do require a lot of experience, but simply to attain competence shouldn't be that hard. Maybe it's just that I've been playing this game for so long it's second nature to me, but it doesn't seem that complicated.

That said, while experience is always the best way to learn there are things that would help if you knew right away. There isn't much about basics on the forum however, except a few inadequate knight guides.

A few tips: Jump and shield in order to shield bash people. If your shield contacts anyone while you're in midair they will be stunned and you can follow up with some jabs.
    Slashing works best from high ground as gravity adds to your velocity and the total distance you travel, essentially adding range to your slash.
    Arrows only have like three stages of charge where trajectory is identical within a stage.
    Crouching avoids physics collision (people falling on you and shield bash).

Chinizz and killatron46 like this.
  9. Socializator

Well, DF is difficult because of two things - interface and complexity.
    Interface here is nothing problematic, but there is fair amount of complexity involved. The problem is that game is very fast-paced so you dont have time to pause and watch tutorial or go through wiki (which is what you do in DF).

I also dont think that ultimately KAG is more difficult than DF. But it is the general feeling of being lost in the beginning. And since KAGs community is smaller, the available support is smaller as well.
    This, and coupled with the fact that you play multiplayer and everything you do wrong affects whole team.

Also - is there some sort of difficulty setting for zombie mode?

10. ar3k

ar3k Catapult Fodder

Hey, I am new as well and I had the same problem. I also sort of got a cheat way around it. I am aussie, and in the aussie community there is a Knight called One, I told him I was new and he told and taught me all I needed to know about building, archery and knight combat. Try to find someone helpful and have them show you the ropes.

One likes this.
  11. SirSalami

SirSalami THD Team THD Team Administrator

Hi Socializator, welcome to KAG!

I really do appreciate your willingness to discuss your initial feelings about the game and the community. I'm constantly thinking of ways to make the game more approachable for new-comers and posts like yours give me good info to work with. However, it's always a battle between ensuring we have an approachable game while also providing enough challenge for the 'pros' that we have in the community. If you have the time, feel free to express the things you have difficulty with grasping whether it's game-play or community oriented, or anything in-between.

One of my biggest priorities is defining and implementing a strong (but short) single-player campaign of sorts that will teach, and hopefully provide enough challenge and variety so that people can have a safe place to learn the many skills and tricks that KAG requires. I hope to give you guys more details about this sooner than later.

Also, there may be a few modified zombie-mode configurations you can take a look at here.

Anyway, most importantly, we're always excited to hear when a player enjoys the game. We really do appreciate your support!

Gamerbro, Chinizz, FG and 5 others like this.
  12. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

I always love seeing this. A newcomer that is *GASP* OPEN TO SUGGESTION AND LEARNING?! I think Hell just froze over!

Welcome Socializator. You've already taken a giant leap in becoming decent at this game; joining the forums and asking for help/advice/etc. Reading guides on basic builder protocol, tips and tricks with the knight and archer, and maybe even using some structures found in the Builder subforum (under Classes And Mechanics) will allow you to quickly get a grasp of what's happening.

You obviously learn by playing, but sometimes it's best just to sit back and watch. Hit the Backspace key and go to Spectator mode and just watch for a little while. You're bound to see what generally happens during the build phase, the initial rush, attacking/defending, etc.

This game CAN be a bit intimidating, but stick with the community and don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it! You're on your way bro, I can't tell you how many newcomers I've encountered who I've tried to offer friendly advice, and I get, "lol stfu nob" or the :bird: emote. So it's always ALWAYS great to see a newcomer so willing to soak in info! Hope you stick around!

EDIT: PS: Ignore that "tutorial" picture Bunnyboy posted, it is RIDICULOUSLY outdated. Hold E and release to fire a catapult? lawl

Chinizz, GalenMarek, Ghozt and 6 others like this.
  13. One

One I got 99 problems and my name is One Donator Tester

Uh, thanks. Even though i have never seen you in game or anything.

On topic,
    Socializator, a lot of the links provided in this thread should help you learn all the neat tricks that this game has. But not much on actual combat. Honestly this game is about skill, lag and luck, and like Ej said you will learn over time. Reading the forums will somewhat help you, but first hand experience is always best. So just get in there and do your best.

14. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

I'M READY COACH!

Before I forget, try to find a "home" server, with people you enjoy hanging out with and are helpful to you. I hung out on the MOLE server a lot when I first started and fell in with a good crowd, learned the ropes and it's amazing how quickly you learn through example.

Ghozt likes this.
  15. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

well i did see you. you're pretty good.
    and yes, thats why i did not provide any of those so-called combat guides.
    they suck. you can't simply "learn" to fight. you just fight, and eventually you fight better.
    I made a map to learn and train some movement stuff.
    the only problem, is that I dunno how to upload them...
    somebody explain that please?

16. KnightGabe13

KnightGabe13 Arsonist

The best way to learn, just as EJ says, is in the field. Guides aren't going to help you nearly as much as experience.
    There are several things you need to know that you can only learn by doing them yourself. For example, Bomb Jumping, which
    I am still learning to do myself. Just find a server with friendly people, and ask them to teach you the ways of KAG.

You can also go to sandbox and experiment with block physics, it's a good way to learn to play as a builder. Read up on THIS, too.
    And please, PLEASE, whatever you do, if you don't know what you're doing, don't go builder in a public CTF match. It's suicide.

EDIT: 200th post :p

Gofio likes this.
  17. Socializator

It is nice to see so many (friendly) attention, heh :thumbs_up: !

I also prefer learning by doing as suggested by many - but guides are usefull, especially if there is some extra time during work ;)

Salami,
    it is nice to see that getting new players hooked is high on the priority, thats the only way [citation needed] how to have healthy community, after all. If I can share a little bit more of my first impressions
    Launching KAG for first time offers you a beginner servers - I joined one of those... but I wasnt able to select builder. And lets be honest - building is the reason why someone downloads the KAG - There are lots of regular 2D/3D shooters around. And they are probably better compared to "KAG_minus_building". I played for a few moments and then changed to random regular free server. Obviously, appearing in the full battle lead to the overall confusion, expressed in the first post.
    After playing around little bit I have decided to go single and do tutorial (does anyone do tutorial as first thing?), which learnt me some stuff about jumping etc... small tricks basically.
    Again, no real actual building. I mean, why? Second opportunity to teach that lost already? This is the thing which makes the game special, i bet 98% of gamers launching the game dont need to learn wasd + mouse (I am oversimplifying now... but lets have some drama!)

If I can humbly suggest something, bearing in mind that I am new here, the beginner servers should somehow allow safe building without influencing others much... I have no idea how it should look like etc.
    I am not sure that investing much effort into single player is worth it... but I guess it should be possible for you to get some stats how much is single played compared to multi.
    The zombie thing seems sufficient to me, but just give me some difficulty setting and I am happy. The only setting I found is "DEAD"...
    Perhaps even some prebuild castle with manned towers.

Gofio, FuzzyBlueBaron and Contrary like this.
  18. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

You can modify the settings in the configs files, Base/Entities/Managers/ZombieDirector.cfg allows you to set what spawns and how many allowed per night.
    To change zombies themselves go to Base/Entities/Actors open any cfg file, they're named appropriately, and change their health or whatever to how you like it.

iirc, there was a building tutorial planned but due to the nature/priority of something like this, it hasn't been done yet, and may never be done because we have a deadline for completion of the game now, if possible I'd be willingly to script up a tutorial after scripting is released though.

19. CoD

CoD Haxor

In my opinion there needs to be more clans like this.
    I notice you mentioned training clans and AIMTD. Well AIMTD is a good, newb (not noob) friendly clan, I run it, it's a training division for one of Australias elite clans [AIM] and you really don't see many of these around, most clans their purpose is to be the best. Not enough help people that are mew to the game. AIMTD is in Australia and there are not many like it around the world. AIMTD has already improved the skill level of people tht are new to the game.

short_round and Ghozt like this.