1. If you have a problem and need help, create a new thread with a title that briefly describes the problem.
    Do not use titles like 'Help!' or 'I have a problem!'
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Image freezes but not sound?

Discussion in 'General Help' started by Zanman777, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Zanman777

Zanman777 Shopkeep Stealer

I'm having trouble playing KAG. This didn't happen before. When I'm playing, sometimes the game freezes (image stands still, but sound keeps playing; I hear folks dying, fighting, building, etc); I have to wait a while to get "back into game". Sometimes the image freezes for so long that when I'm back I am disconnected already.

On the server list, many times I get high pings on all servers... I keep refreshing until suddenly the servers have all acceptable pings. I get into a server, play for a while, and the freezing starts.

It's like the ping is VERY unsteady. But I'm not sure if it's ping - there should be lag on both sound and image, but only image freezes up...

What should I do? This didn't happen before...

2. Raron

Raron KAG Guard Tester

Check if somebody is using your house internet when freezing starts it mostly some evil family member stealing good internet

*shakes hand*

Edit: Sound is loaded in your computer and screen is current status of battlefield so it is effected by lag i belive <----This could be tottaly wrong

FliesLikeABrick likes this.
  3. FliesLikeABrick

FliesLikeABrick THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

What Raron said - check first if anyone else in your house is uploading/downloading heavily. If you can rule that out, post back and we will continue troubleshooting

4. Zanman777

There are times when that is not a possibility at all, and it happens anyway - everybody else is asleep, not home, etc. The house network is locked (protected by password), so intruders shouldn't be an issue neither...

I have a fresh Windows install (format c: occured a few days ago :P), so... Overloaded computer is unlikely. Okay, it's a bit old (AMD Athlon XP 2600 with 1 Gb RAM and a GeForce FX 5200), but for a 2D game like KAG it should do the trick.

The internet connection is otherwise stable and steady.

Any more suggestions?

5. FliesLikeABrick

Update all drivers you can for your computer, particularly the video card drivers.

That said, it doesn't really explain your network/ping issues. Gotta think about that some more

Is your computer using a wireless connection to the router, or wired?

6. Zanman777

All drivers are up-to-date.

The computer uses a wireless connection to the router.

Already uninstalled AVG 2012 and installed a lighter antivirus: Avast. The problem occured again.

7. FliesLikeABrick

The wireless connection to the router is your problem. It will cause packets to get dropped, which game traffic doesn't tolerate. Even if the layer 2 protocol (802.11) retransmits the packet, it may be delayed by hundreds of milliseconds which is why you're seeing pings in the server list missing or very very bad - and why you can't play in any servers without major lag issues.

If this just started, it is still a plausible explanation. There could have been a new source of interference introduced (you or a neighbor has a new phone, baby monitor/etc which is in the same frequency range) or a similar problem.

Try running a network cable to the computer, even just to test temporarily. I am willing to bet the problem will go away

8. illu

illu En Garde! Donator Tester

I am willing to bet it doesn't. At least not the freezing issues which seem to be clientwise. But try it of course.
    Also pls download Speccy and post a link to your system profile.

9. FliesLikeABrick

If traffic is being lost or very delayed, it may make the engine unhappy - however whenever it does receive a packet saying some event has occurred, it's still triggering audio just fine. Combined with the symptoms he saw in the server browser, it seems most likely to me or at least worth ruling out