1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Forum Important! Please attach images/files, do not use 3rd parties

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by FliesLikeABrick, Feb 8, 2012.

1. FliesLikeABrick

FliesLikeABrick THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Hello all,

I am posting this because I want to prevent a problem I have seen so, so many times before.

When you are posting a thread such as http://kagforum.com/index.php?threads/281-rapiddiffy-tower.3678/#post-58846 -- Please please please use the forums' file attachment mechanisms instead of using a 3rd party image hosting service. This is because those services may delete files after a certain amount of time, in which case the thread becomes useless. The site also may go down/out of business, or (as we just saw with megaupload) be taken down due to legal issues with some of their content.

Please use the forums' image attachment system so that these great threads and images you take time making are preserved forever with the forums instead of introducing another point of failure. This goes for any mods/other file types as well.

I can't tell you how many times I've had people ask me if I had mods/images/etc from the Soldat forums because the 3rd party site went down, when in fact the forums and Soldat itself have long outlived either the 3rd party file hosts or at least the content which was deleted after a year or two.

2. Drok

Drok Shark Slayer

The problem is that if you want to make a post with several images displayed in a specific place you are forced to use a image hosting site, as the attachments are all resized to a thumbnail and then sent to the bottom of the post. Maybe that could be improved?

3. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Not true.

When you upload an image, at the bottom you'll see the files you have attached. There will be three button next to the picture. They'll say thumbnail, full-size and delete. Delete removes it so it's no longer attached, thumbnail puts a small version of the picture wherever you cursor is currently at and full-size puts the full-size picture where your cursor is currently at.
    Thumbnail example: example.jpg

Fullsize example: example.jpg

As you can see, I placed the picture right where I wanted it.

I only really need image hosting for putting pictures in a conversation since you can't attach files there, but I have those pictures backed up on my computer anyways.

4. Drok

Drok Shark Slayer

Great! All the attachments I've seen in this forum were displayed in the default way, and in many other forums there is no way to do that, so I had no idea it was possible here. Thanks for explaining that.

5. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Sure, no problem

6. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Eh, imgur's a pretty cool guy, hyperdesktop like a boss and not afried of nethin.

Seriously though, sure I like the attachments but it has a few restrictions I'm not cool with:
    1)Can't upload .kag files, have to zip them
    2)Can't upload .rar, have to be .zip
    3) 1318666762379.gif
    4)Hyperdesktop is totes cool, browsing for a file and saving it awkwardly is not.
    5)Puush is also hella dope

Wonkyth likes this.
  7. FliesLikeABrick

BlueLuigi - we can change those restrictions to make attaching files more useful. I will permit .kag, .rar, and .tar.gz now.

Drok - as the other commentor mentioned, you can use the full size link to embed the image in your post just like you would from any other site

edit: I have permitted .kag, .rar, and .tar.gz. I have also increased the maximum attachment size significantly and increased the number of attachments per post to 25 (so that you can attach a whole bunch of images in the event you're writing a guide of some sort)

8. Kyzak

Kyzak Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I was really cagey about using attachments because of precious, precious bandwidth, but if that's not a problem, I suppose it's due for freer use.

9. FliesLikeABrick

Now that the forums have been moved to THD's main servers, bandwidth is absolutely not a concern

Noburu, FuzzyBlueBaron, Rayne and 2 others like this.
  10. Zegovia

Zegovia Shark Slayer

FliesLikeAbrick? now thats a familliar face if I ever saw one.. :D

Had some issues uploading images to the forums a day or so back, thought it was a technical issue on the forums side and i was suggested to Use Imgur at the IRC. Turns out it was only my antivirus muckin about with firefox's plugin container, managed to fix it so all is fine and dandy again..

Still this is good to know. Ill keep it in mind..... ;)

11. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

P.S. Can we get attachments for conversations? :<

Noburu likes this.
  12. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

And edits to the OP of conversations.
    >:l

Noburu likes this.