1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

KAG Community Website

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shadlington, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Site is up.

kagcommunity.com

Please create an account and start submitting content! :D

Currently available:
    - Constructions can be uploaded (images, essentially)
    - Ditto for maps
    - Videos can be embedded (only youtube supported currently)
    - Content of all types can be categorised, rated and searched

Things that need work/still to do:
    - I'm not happy with the general layout so that'll be getting tweaked a fair bit
    - Needs a proper homepage (currently just displays recently submitted content)
    - I will be adding texture packs and anything else I (or you!) can think of soon
    - I want to provide better ways of traversing content across the site, so for example when viewing content you will be shown a block listing content by the same author.
    - There will be community and social elements, with a particular focus on clans
    - Lots more stuff
    - I need banner images. Please help. 1018x320 is the preferred size.

Please give me feedback!

Original post:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sooo... I'm gonna create a new KAG site.

Its going to grow and develop organically (we'll add things as a need for them presents itself) but the initial focus will be on showcasing various designs (Maps, buildings, tactics, etc.) by you guys.

Essentially anyone with an account will be able to upload images/embed videos, etc. (along with an explanation/description where relevant).
    Other users will then be able to search, comment on and rank them.

If there's sufficient interest we'll add additional features. I have several in mind but I don't want to push too strongly before I know if anyone is even going to use the site :p

Anyway, for now I want to hear what sorts of thing you guys would find useful in such a site.
    Suggestions are very welcome!

Also, I'll be needing moderators to help out with things like spam fighting (though we will have some anti-spam measures) and general content moderation.
    If you'd be interested in helping out in this way (or you have other ideas about how you might help out) then please let me know.
    I'd very much like this to be a community effort. The site can grow and change as the needs of the community demand.

2. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

Hmm, we have wiki already. There are pages describing how to build advanced structures and such. I don't really see any need for new site. Wiki should be place for all our "game wisdom".

3. MM

MM THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I'm all for it if you think you can make a better site than the wiki. You'll need to get attention of people with something. Videos of various constructions seem like an excellent idea!

4. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

Or still we can improve our wiki.
    If you're still eager to make something new - work with poe and make kag2d something useful. That's my opinion.

5. Shadlington

I intend to make a site that does something that isn't done by the existing sites.

I would like it to perform the function of the wiki too eventually, but only if:
    a) People like and use it and b) It does at least a good a job (and preferably better) as the wiki at what the wiki already does.

However, I will be focusing on the new features first, rather than anything the wiki already does.

6. Snow

Snow Guest

I might help. Might because of how busy I am and I don't want to start working on something that I have to abandon all of a sudden due to other priorities.

Otherwise I need some JS practice anyway. I have a couple of personal web projects (simple technologies) I want to do and one of them might be suited for this type of website.

I can definitely be a second pair of eyes if you have an issue with any code.

7. Shadlington

Good to know, thanks :)

8. Shadlington

Right, I've yet to do much on this yet as I've been busy.
    I should have the time for a big push on it this weekend.

My initial roadmap is to get the core functionality up and running asap and get some people testing it.
    I'm not going to bother with more than a ready-made theme to begin with (it'll look good(ish?), but not specific to KAG).

The main feature I want to get working as a proof-of-concept is a showcase/library of designs (screenshots, really).
    I'd like there to be a decent search facility (I love faceted search so that's what I'll be aiming for) and voting system too. Search will probably get done, voting will depend on time.

Anyone have anything they'd particularly like to see get in?

9. poe

poe Shopkeep Stealer

Sounds like your making a social network for KAG! :D

10. Shadlington

Social elements are definitely something I will be looking to add if there's a good response :)

11. Eggnogg

Eggnogg Guest

The way this site is described, it doesn't sound like it's intended to cancel out the wiki.

I see wikis as instantly accessible technical information banks. They give you finite and exact information about features, with a purely technical point of view.

The way the site is described, it sounds more like a database of blueprints and tactics, a more in depth resource that would be out of place in a wiki.

Basicly...

Wiki: Informative
    What this site sounds like: Tutorial and walkthrough/FAQ.

12. Shadlington

The thing is, I can build in the wiki functionality too. Revisions and all the rest of it, no problem.
    And I can build a better navigation/search interface for it while I'm at it.
    If I have all of the wiki info in my own site, I can provide a more complete, integrated experience.
    A simple example would be: on the wiki-style page on catapults I could provide a block showing other catapult-related content (tactics, designs for constructions to protect them, etc.).

However, I do not want to do this before first proving that my efforts will be well received.
    Initially the site will only be as you describe it.

If it goes well I will build on that and make it into something more complete.

13. Shadlington

Didn't spend as much time on the site as I would have liked this weekend, but I did manage to get the basics up and running.
    It looks a bit pants at the moment so I'll decline from sharing a public link.
    I'll try and find some more time to get it into a shareable state over the next couple of days.

14. poe

poe Shopkeep Stealer

So what features does it have already?

15. Shadlington

Basic. Users can sign up. Once they've signed up they can create one of two types of content: Designs and Videos.

For designs they can upload/reference by url an image/images and include some description/notes.
    For videos they can embed a youtube video.
    They can also comment on existing designs/videos.

This is all working but there is no site structure. I need to sort out index/search pages, menu structure and also provide an appropriate layout for the content.

I'm close to having voting working too.

16. Shadlington

Improved layout a bit and got voting working.
    In a couple of days I'll be ready to share a link.

17. poe

poe Shopkeep Stealer

Ah that sounds nice. So designs are basically creative/in battle structures that people use?

18. Shadlington

That's the idea. We'll see how well it takes :p

19. Shadlington

Alrighty I'm getting this done properly this weekend. You should all be able to see it today or tomorrow.

But I have a question... What the heck should I call this thing? I'm not really sure what the best name for the site is, let alone what the url should be (I'm currently using a dummy domain I have kicking around for testing).

20. Swaggernuts

Swaggernuts Guest

KagCommunity.com or something. (I feel like i need a website to properly explain my [KoM]tag clan thingy.