1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

KAG Stuff

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shadlington, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I've been working on a little project with the help of a few fellow KAG-ers recently and I'm at the point where I would like wider feedback.

Here it is: KAG Stuff

Its a website for the contribution and searching of community-generated content - initially just maps, but this will be expanded to sprite sets, mods/rules packs, etc. as time goes on.

So, please check it out and let me know what you think. You need an account to submit/rate content, but otherwise the main features are there. I'll be supporting the idea that you are entitled to the same username you have here, so if someone steals yours let me know via PM on the forums and I'll give it to you.
    Eventually I'd like to re-work the login to use your kag2d credentials, just like the forums do.

One thing I haven't done (at all, really) is optimised it for performance. So it may well be dog slow at times. I'll get round to improving that soon.
    Oh yeah, and I've barely done any cross-browser testing. It works good in chrome, and probably looks okay in most places in Firefox, but I'm not sure about any others.

Feedback and suggestions would be great :D

2. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Better name than kagcommunity at least :P
    I wonder if the old accounts still work, or will I have to create a new one?

3. Shadlington

You'll need a new one, its a different site.

4. Mister_Meatball

Mister_Meatball Base Burner

Works fine for me on safari (windows), firefox, chrome, and I even opened internet explorer for the first time since my last windows format. (it works fine.). I'm glad we have a map repository, while I don't won a server I can see how this can help those who do find good maps easily. I might even take a crack at mapping, but I haven't done 2d in a long time. What would work well with a site like this would be a way to vote for maps in game while the last 3 still alive turtle it up.

5. sj67

sj67 Greg hunter

Can't post. I get this message every time I activate it:

Halp.png

6. Shadlington

Activated you. Not sure what's going on - activation is working for several people.
    </br>--- merged: Apr 7, 2012 1:54 PM ---</br>
    Next planned feature:

Allowing users to create 'map lists':
    These will simply be a list of references to maps already in the kag stuff system.
    When you save the list, a zip file will automatically be generated containing all the maps selected, available for download by anyone viewing the list.

So you'll be able to create and share your favourite map cycles :)

7. sj67

sj67 Greg hunter

And when will this come out? :3

8. tur1sta

tur1sta Random snippet here ಠ__ಠ Donator

In the distant future, I'm assuming that textures and/or modding would be moved here too?

9. Shadlington

I have a buttload of non-kag-related work I've got to do first, unfortunately.
    Once I've freed some time up it'll only take me a few hours probably, so... I'll be able to give an estimate once I've figured out when I'll have time :s

10. Shadlington

Yeah that's pretty easy to do.
    The main things I need to figure out for that is:
    - What different fields are required for sprite/texture packs
    - What different categories are approriate for them

And those same two questions can be applied to any other type of content - i.e. mods
    The thing about mods that I'm slightly uneasy on is how to best draw the line between different mod types and things like what file types to support, as I'm really hazy on the details of what folks are coming up with in this area.

11. -Q

-Q Donator

On that note, Shadlington, are you still slightly uneasy on the type of mods that was discussed earlier? There really are a lot of useful modding possibilities when messing around with the libraries. Perhaps being able to moderate these kind of mods will act as a filter for any less savory sorts.

12. Shadlington

What kind are we talking about now...? The kind most folks are talking about when they say modding is either resource replacement (i.e. textures, sounds, etc.) or game mode mods for servers.
    Modifying the libraries is still not allowed... However the idea of moderating them bears some merit so I will bring it up the rest of the team. I would be concerned about it 'opening the floodgates' though.

13. tur1sta

tur1sta Random snippet here ಠ__ಠ Donator

I don't think there would be a need to have major mods for the library since we still are in alpha and major changes are bound to happen. Maybe in beta should we try those mods.

14. kiro

kiro Garde KAG Donator Tester

Good job on the site !

Only improvement I can think of : can you add the number of votes next to the stars in the maps list ? And sorting by number of votes too :)

15. dyersEve

dyersEve Builder Stabber

Looks awesome, you should consider changing the background to something like this forum has.
    Besides, I guess that the fact that an user doesn't have permission to edit his account is temporary?

@edit: King Arthur's Cartographers Army?

16. Shadlington

You haven't authenticated your account - did you not receive an email? Once you auth it becomes possible to edit stuff.

17. dyersEve

dyersEve Builder Stabber

Oh, didn't see that one. I'm still half sleeping actually.

18. Shadlington

With the scripting support coming in, I don't think it will be necessary to allow library-altering mods any time soon. Maybe in the future.