1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Other KagHD 0.51

Doubled sprite sizes, More pixels, Higher definition

1. Monkey_Feats

Monkey_Feats Bison Rider Tester

Monkey_Feats submitted a new resource:

KagHD - Doubled sprite sizes, More pixels, Higher definition

Hey guys, It's about time I released what I have done on this.

First off, This is the first time I have made a mod for anything in my life and the first time I have seriously looked at code. I surprised myself with getting this far, So keep that in mind if you see some weird stuff in the codes ::D:

Secondly,There has been a bit of shock and awe about the name.
    So Lets just say the the HD stands for "Higher definition"...[/quote]

Read more about this resource...

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  2. Diprog

Diprog Bison Rider Tester
    1. FUN Servers

Will vote when it will be finished. But in my opinion it just looks like a smooth shader in higher resolution

Vermilicious likes this.
  3. king-george

king-george Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

Interesting stuff! Can't wait to see how this'll turn out.

Diprog likes this.
  4. stabborazz

stabborazz Haxor Staff Alumni

Looks really cool, I was always thinking about something like this myself. Will there also be more animations ?

5. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

I've been waiting for this for so long! Will host at my server soon ::):

6. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

This is hilarious. Looks like a load of time you spent modifying the sprites by hand as well. A dedicated spriter could re-do the characters with more detail not just bigger clusters. My faces:

faces.png

7. 101i

101i Haxor Forum Moderator Tester

@8x mfw you spend 20 minutes building a wall and an archer destroys it with one bomb arrow.
    This looks really cool, I'm really interesting in what you end up doing with this. Keep up the good work :).

Nicuwins likes this.
  8. Vermilicious

Vermilicious Ballista Bolt Thrower

I've been thinking about something similar. I think King Arthur's Gold looks great as is, but it's quite challenging to make nice looking graphics with as little as 8 pixels. Yeah, I know - some games use even smaller sprites, but anyway. Just doubling up to 16 pixels (and increase the palette size), though, makes a huge difference, without losing the pixel feels. The trick is to make it feel right, because the graphics for KAG was indeed made with 8 pixels in mind, and even if there are some artwork from early development in higher resolutions, it's not really available to the community. That means you will have to re-imagine everything. That's not what's been done in this case, sadly, by the looks of it. So, a +1 for the idea, but not for the execution.

101i and Diprog like this.
  9. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

this isn't supposed to be a different texturepack, ti was supposed ot be normal sprites in higher resolution. also, it's still WiP, can't you read?

joshua12131415 and Vamist like this.
  10. Vermilicious

Vermilicious Ballista Bolt Thrower

You also wrote higher definition. It really isn't. I'm just saying this approach has it's shortcomings, and I would be careful about labeling it as "HD". It was not meant as any disrespect to your work, in progress or not.
    (Still, why post WIP here if you don't want any feedback?)

11. Monkey_Feats

You're pushing it :eek:

Thanks for noticing, Yeah all the sprites still need polishing or finishing. Btw most of the heads haven't really been touched. Saaaayyy.. arn't you a dedicated spriter :wink:

The palette is the same amount of colours, It really is just my interpretation of geti's sprites.
    I agree it doesnt look spectacular, But it was worth a try and the ground work is there for others to use if they like.

High Definition isn't really defined properly btw, It could really mean anything. I don't know what you expected kagHD to look like? Technically Kag was already in HD before I did anything.
    All good though, Thanks for you're praise.

8x likes this.
  12. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Hey the upsized ginger-beardy head is a masterwork no matter what you say ;) Cool to see this happening, I totally understand what a nightmare this would be to do (all the sizes are effectively hard-coded unlike in games that use UV-space for sprites), so respect for having the guts to go spellunking in the configs and code. Hope it's been educational! The result is interesting but kinda shows why we went with 8x8 tile size for KAG, there's so much more work at this sort of scale.

13. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

Hosting this at "King Arthur's Gold: High Definition"
    Bugs i saw so far:

• Emoticons when you press Q are weird, u see only a part of them
    • u cant fly with a bomber
    • airship and longboat sprites are fucked up
    • Barracks are still small
    • catapult is slower, same for cata
    • vehicles have double arrows to get in
    • youre heavier with keg than you should be, probably heavier way too much with other items with that weight level too
    • catapult doesnt fire as strong as it should, sam ewith ballista
    • cant place coin slot
    • turning on smooth shader or turning it off crashes kag
    • double bubbles when in water
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 1, 2016, Original Post Date: Feb 1, 2016 ---
    Honestly, after looking at this mod, i would love kag to have at least minimal support for textures of different sizes. i would love to use this mod client-side! :D

joshua12131415 likes this.
  14. Diprog

1. FUN Servers

Some more from me:
    • You can break stone blocks by yourself if you have enough velocity (and maybe wooden blocks);
    • Knight's slash deals only 1 heart damage.

15. Monkey_Feats

@wormy @Diprog Thanks guys, I was gonna list em all, But there was too many ::D:

8x likes this.
  16. Diprog

1. FUN Servers

I don't understand why did you copy all of the scripts to your mod. Also create a file called ModName.as and add there a variable string modname = "KagHD(WiP)", and include it to everywhere where you have "../Mods/Kag(WiP)" and do "../Mods/"+modname instead of it
    Didn't you think how hard it will be to change every script where you use "../Mods/KagHD(WiP)", if you'll decide to change the name of your folder?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  17. Monkey_Feats

I don't really understand what you are trying to say :/ I copied all the scripts to my mod, Because they have been modified?
    There is only a few places where I needed to use the ../Mods/KagHD(WiP) line and that was a work around for a bug.
    It's not so hard to change it either, In sublime text you can search all the files for a certain line. Which show exactly where that line is in what file.

18. Diprog

1. FUN Servers

Emm, you didn't modify for example scripts there "Entities\Characters\Scripts", there "Entities\Characters\MovementScripts". And it's only the "Characters" folder, there are tons of useless scripts in your mod, you just copied all of the "Base" folder to your mod. So, that's what I asked

19. Monkey_Feats

Sure there is a few there I didn't remove.. yet. But most of them have a change in them, Even if it's a small change. And no I didn't just copy the whole base folder, I did it for a couple folders that still need to be looked into. Don't know why you brought up the movement scripts, They obviously need to be there, Otherwise players would move at half the speed.

20. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Thing is, for the sake of clarification, you usually put only modified files inside your mods, so we can see directly what's been changed.

joshua12131415 likes this.