1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

keg nerf.

Discussion in 'Balance' started by steve_jobs, Dec 23, 2013.

1. steve_jobs

steve_jobs Bison Rider

Ok, I want this thread to be civilized. If an opinion differs from yours, it is not retarded. If I need to "learn2play" then tell me how to counter a keg effectively. If you want to argue, do it in the knight changes general thread. Just follow heribo's example, and you will be fine.

My success rate with kegs is like 90%. It's crazy how easy it is to blow a hole in the enemies wall.

I think it is mainly because when you damage a lit keg to much, it explodes. So if the enemy gets to the wall, he can just sit there shielding, and you will detonate the keg for him.
    so make it that kegs don't explode when damaged too much.

opinions.

2. Gurin

Gurin Stop That! Global Moderator Donator Tester

How else will you get into the enemy "mine-crafted" base?

No.

link6155 and Invaders like this.
  3. Invaders

Invaders Shark Slayer

lrn2play nub
    It's beyond easy to stop kegs, just prioritize the KAG knights over all others, and grab lit kegs, sacrifice yourself for your team. Also, kegs can never be blocked 100% of the time, as with anything in this game.

4. link6155

link6155 Haxor Staff Alumni Tester Official Server Admin
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

Well kegs can only be lit by knights, you can't slash with kegs (technically), and kegs are fragile. If you can kill a knight, you can stop a keg. Often time you'll probably destroy the keg in the process of attempting to kill the knight carrying it.

Water bombs/arrows are very good against people carrying keg. It stops them in their track towards your tower, then you can beat the crap out of them.

5. steve_jobs

steve_jobs Bison Rider

bombs, bomb arrows, mines, siege weapons...
    and kegs! this is a small nerf, it just makes kegs require a little more skill to use. It doesn't remove its effectiveness against a tower at all.

I understand what you are saying. I just get frustrated at how keg holders can just light their fuse when ever they want.

6. Invaders

Invaders Shark Slayer

Thats the whole point of controlled explosives?

7. steve_jobs

steve_jobs Bison Rider

sorry, I said that very, very wrong.
    let me (try to) explain.

I think that part of using kegs should be estimating when to light the fuse, so that you reach the enemy base at the approximate time of the kegsplosion. It adds a certain skill to it.

TO ALL:
    To clarify, I think that on a kegs are pretty balanced. My only concern is their ease of use.

idk, maybe its just me.

8. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I absolutely agree that killing an enemy with a keg should not explode said keg. That being said,it only explodes if you hit it from the back, but due to lag this is extremely glitchy and usually results in an explosion.

Kegs are INTENDED to render you defenseless and slow you down while you require teammates to protect you until it detonates. Thanks to the slash bug mainly, I can easily solo a horse of scrubs while holding a keg. We should wait and see how the game changes once they fix the slash bug, THEN they can see if it's possible to remove keg-splosions on death.

9. steve_jobs

steve_jobs Bison Rider

^fair enough.

10. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I so agree that kegs are entirely stoppable but that doesn't mean that nerfing kegs wouldn't improve the game. It's good that kegs exist as they allow you to break through defenses if you win combat but at the same time it promotes a stupid kind of gameplay. Many times I see just beelines of knights throwing themselves at the enemy lines hoping to serendipitously break through to the enemy wall. And in pubs, they manage to slip by enemies with alarming frequency.

We have to remember that KAG isn't just played by amazing players like me, or even mediocre players like you lot. 90% of the people who play KAG are quite inexperienced and for them, kegs are kinda bullshit.

hierbo and link6155 like this.
  11. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

[​IMG]

Sir_Walter likes this.
  12. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

The one thing I can agree with since I've played for quite some time is explosion upon death. Should just be it either gets destroyed or dropped instead of instant "ALLAHU ACKBAR" the second someone so much as extra jabs him in the middle of combat.

Apronymous, Auburn, hierbo and 3 others like this.
  13. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

I totally agree with that. 2 archers can explode you really easily, it's totally stupid. Keg is too powerful, you can break 5 doors once...

14. JoshTG

JoshTG Ballista Bolt Thrower

IMO its the blast that is the problem:

While the existing keg blows up in a large "+" shape, i think kegs should blow up in a smaller rounder explosion.
    The same amount of tiles would be damaged, however the range would be nerfed in terms of straight up or down, or straight side to side.

[​IMG]

Klokinator and Asu like this.
  15. steve_jobs

steve_jobs Bison Rider

idk, I think keg should be a gamble, like you either blow a huge hole in their base, or don't do anything at all.

16. Invaders

Invaders Shark Slayer

Thats a *really* bad idea, luck based or random number based anything shouldn't be in any game.

bobotype and Asu like this.
  17. Ne3zy

Ne3zy Haxor

make it more expansive or nerf it

18. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

The way I see it:

Getting a KEG to the frontline means you have to:
    A)Beat all of their knights
    B)Get through any 'crap' buildings that might be thrown up (cheap wooden structures to delay kegs and knights)
    C)Light the keg without someone being able to get there
    D)If you decide not to suicide, get away while leaving the KEG in place and not having someonee lse pick it up and toss it
    E)Light it as a knight and give it to an archer to deploy (AKA Timed Mission Mode)

As someone defending from a KEG you can
    A)Have knights defend instead of JUST attack
    B)Have archers shoot/water arrow people with kegs to slow down their assault or make it easier for the defenders
    C)Have wooden structures that are hard for knights to scale in the way (particularly if it requires a double bomb jump as opposed to simply a single bombjump, I don't think you can DBJ with a keg ; At least not traditionally)
    D)Water bombs as a knight.
    E)After the fact, unless they prepared with other knights following or that knight living, quick repairs.

The only things I see being a large problem that might be some consideration for KEGs (also please anyone expand on that list above, having it accurate helps debates on the matter) is
    A)Consider making KEGs weigh more when carried for the purposes of catapulting them or catapulting them with knights (the latter specifically, as the first one is already risky as an enemy can snatch it!)
    B)Consider adding interactions with fire/water ammo (lighting/unlighting kegs) [This would also be a decent implementation chance for the canopy, unless that's been just 100% scrapped]

19. Sirpixelot

Sirpixelot Base Burner
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Now, I do not believe a nerfing is needed... I find it nice that you can detonate a keg when you smack it.. mostly cuz of only 1 reason. Multi-kills. If you kill off a single keg carrying knight in a horde of knights, you'd pretty much be killing off (Almost) the entire team... or just killing the knight and leaving a cracked keg on the ground for someone else to take.

What I like to do at times with the keg, is drop it from a high place and just... pop it on some enemy knights. I call it crowd control and honestly, its pretty effective. It's even more effective when on a catapult.. but other than those things.. waiting till that slash bug is removed is a good idea... cause I really despise the slash bug.... :I

The only nerfing I can think of, is raising the price on bitches, there was one time where I saw keg after keg after keg being trudged up the war path... (Technically multiple times) Just keg spam after keg spam... its a bitch to defend against and; like the Zerg, will destroy your base within a few minutes D:

20. steve_jobs

steve_jobs Bison Rider

misunderstood again. I was replying to joshTG, I thought I used quotes.

I think the cross explosion should stay, its like specifically made to breach bases. having a round circle explosion would greatly Nerf kegs, and managing to get a keg to the enemy base wouldn't be worth as much.