1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

King Arthur's Role Playing Server (Races & Newbie RP guide)

Discussion in 'Server Directory' started by Raelian, Aug 10, 2012.

Mods: jackitch
  1. Raelian

Raelian Bison Rider

Due to the original 'King Arthur's Role Playing Server" thread not having enough room on the first post to fit all this I took the liberty of making this thread. This thread will contain the race overviews to offer players a better idea of what it means to be a human, elf, dwarf, orc & goblin on this server and also write down a short RP guide for newbies because I noticed most don't really know what RP means or how it works.

Along with the server rules, reading this will be mandatory. Also please refrain from posting any comments here. If you have suggestions, ideas or complaints post them in the original "King Arthur's Role Playing Server" thread.

Newbies's Guide to Role Playing
    General definition: Role-playing refers to the changing of one's behavior to assume a role, either unconsciously to fill a social role, or consciously to act out an adopted role.
    Role Playing in games: A role-playing game is a game in which the participants assume the roles of characters and collaboratively create stories. Participants determine the actions of their characters based on their characterization, and the actions succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines. Within the rules, they may improvise freely; their choices shape the direction and outcome of the games.
    The above are wiki definitions of what Role Playing is but how does a newbie tell the difference between 'good' RP and 'bad' RP?
    First thing a newbie should be aware off is his or her grammar. Bad grammar pretty much kills all feeling of immersion, even more so then having some random player axe you in the head for no reason.​
    Examples:
    Bad grammar in RP: "Hey! GTFO u stupid elf noob!!!"
    Good grammar in RP: "Oy! Git out ya bloody tree huger!"
    Bad grammar in RP: "OMG!!! That dwarf newb owned me!"
    Good grammar in RP: "Help! That dwarf huligan attacked me! I need aid!"
    Bad grammar in RP: "ROFL I owned you with my 1337 skillz!"
    Good Grammar in RP: "Aha! I have bested you in combat and won due to my combat prowess!"
    In a medieval fantasy setting modern words such as "ok" , "GTFO", "lmao", "rofl", "lol" or "noob" are non existent and simply kill what little immersion might still exist. Instead, attempt to refrain from using such words and find suitable replacement. Instead of "ok" you could go for "very well" or "alright" while words such as "lol", "noob" should not be used at all, period.​
    It is also important to refrain from using short and crude sentences such as "sorry" when "I apologize!" or "Forgive me, it was a mistake!" will help with immersion and make it 'feel' like you really are RPing and not having a skype conversation.​
    Another important thing in Role Playing is 'common sense' which at present appear to be a super power given how few people seem to show any sign of having such a trait.
    Just because a human attacked a dwarf does not mean that the next logical step should be "War". The actions of one person shouldn't condemn the entire race in to a needless war unless of course someone with authority gives such an order (such as Dwarven King, Elf Forest Warden, Human Knight of the Round Table or Orc Warchief) and even then it would have to be a very good reason such as half of the elven forest being chopped down, or a group of orcs raiding a nearby hamlet, or a group of humans willingly sabotaging the dwarf mine etc..​
    Even then, the 'victims' could ask the leader of the 'accused' faction to punish those responsible otherwise the attacker should be trialed by the laws of each faction. The dwarf that got attacked could plead to his Dwarven King and ask that justice be made. The Dwarven King could then sent a messenger to the Human Knight of the Round Table (leader of the human faction) and ask that they punish the attacker or hand him over to the dwarves so they can punish him accordingly.​
    Makes sense doesn't it? Good.​
    The above was an example so people refrain from using every small offense as a way to start a senseless war. Yes, conflict can be fun when started right and with good reason.​
    Other then the above mentioned and the most important rule of Role playing is to stay In Character (IC) at all times.
    I hope this little guide will help those new to Role Playing understand how it works.

2. delankski

delankski Horde Gibber

I love being an ELF :D
    GO ELVES FACTION! :p

Those bandits outside are very notorious killers -_-

Raelian likes this.
  3. PinXviiN

PinXviiN Haxor

Good grammar in RP: Let them taste my axe!

Beef, delankski and Raelian like this.
  4. aattss

aattss Shopkeep Stealer

What about orcs?

5. Raelian

Raelian Bison Rider

I have the orcs prepared but...

I'll be honest... there are a LOT of trigger happy orc players out there. I fear that if I post the orcs people will just use their behavior as an excuse to cause more needless wars. I'm still considering suggesting to remove orcs entierly and add them once a white list is added.

Also... added "Leaders" for each faction since I noticed that people act better if there is someone that upholds good RP and guides them.

UnnamedPlayer likes this.
  6. Kryotos

Kryotos Bison Rider

I got a little problem with the dwarves. Why no Siege weapon ? Dwarves are good engineers (look for exemple the dwemer in TES),I think they can use some weapons, likes ballista or bomb thrower (like this, but a bit more...dwarf)[​IMG]

7. Raelian

Raelian Bison Rider

I went with no siege weapons for dwarves since I wanted to keep it more balanced power-wise. I know that in some fantasy setting dwarves are good engineers, reason why they have access to kegs, something no others race has. I also figured that since they live mostly underground it would be impossible to use catapults in tunnels. Although at the moment dwarves only have their kingdom in a mountain and actually stick tot he surface more.

Either way this is by no means set in stone, we will have to see if dwarves really need siege weapons or not and what kind of siege weapons. We will attempt to tweak it and balance it out as we go but giving dwarves siege weapons might make the others races a bit under-powered.

8. Kryotos

Kryotos Bison Rider

You right. But stone is needed for the elves, and wood for the dwarves (workshop, weaponry,etc) So how you will balance this ? (BBC=Born to Be Curious)

9. Raelian

Raelian Bison Rider

I'm actually surprised elves require stone for their buildings since all they use is wood. Might consider simply asking for wood and large quantities. Sadly the map is also flawed. The elven forest looks too unnatural and there should be added a few "mini" forests in other locations so people whon't have a reason to invade the elves for wood.

Things are going a bit slow so yeah, patience is a virtue it seems.

10. aattss

aattss Shopkeep Stealer

One problem I noticed is that people will use roleplay as a means to an end (i.e. come up with some roleplay excuse to kill someone else) as opposed to the opposite (i.e. killing or getting killed because of an intricate rp-related reason). That's why, for the most part, the server is like a 4-way ctf without an end. I suspect that if people knew the difference, the map would be a lot more fun as well as a lot less crowded. I'm pretty sure that people are already capable of making up race descriptions to justify meaningless killing.

11. Kryotos

Kryotos Bison Rider

you could just PM the password to the players you judge capable of assuming the charge of a RP game, and make a candidature topic.

12. Raelian

Raelian Bison Rider

Already brought this up to the other admins, already made a white list but it's up to VanHuek to change the password and allow me to mail to those deemed capable RPers.

13. lukepop

lukepop Arsonist

Just so you know I really really love role-playing and this looks fun I mean that idea of an arena was superb in fact I know you could have comps between the kingdoms and say if elves lost they would give 300 wood to the winning kingdom etc, etc.

delankski likes this.
  14. Nananas

Nananas Bison Rider

(Posting here because the other tread is quite full)
    First of all, it's a GREAT server. But there are a lot of problems that ruin the gameplay sometimes.
    Here are some ideas that maybe could help: :rollseyes:

- give each race a purpose (build something, like a monument)
    (make the humans merchants or something)
    - fix that damn spawn glitch (!irritating as hell) (does frog have the same problem?)
    - dubbel the health, killing someone will be harder, giving a warning shot will not kill instantly, etc.
    - if orcs are the bandit race, maybe limit them to little groups (That way, they can only attack the weak)
    and put the ones that want to fight in that team.
    - more admins :)

if that is possible, of course X3

15. oblex1998

oblex1998 Builder Stabber

when i wanted to join the role playing server it said a password was required and that it would be on the forums but I cant find it anywhere?

16. Kryotos

Kryotos Bison Rider

Oblex you must know that's not a server with skills or magic. It's only the manner of playing that differ. It would be better for you to inform yourself before joining.

17. Rusher

Rusher Catapult Fodder

Orcs? where ORcs?? we are animals?? so prejudice!

18. Raelian

Raelian Bison Rider

I originally refrained from posting the orcs race overview (even though I had the race overview made a long time ago) simply because it might give idiots a good reason to vreak havoc. But as it stands it might actually make humans, elves and dwarves stop fighting each other and keep an eye on orcs. Time will tell.​

franek123, Beef and Rusher like this.
  19. aattss

aattss Shopkeep Stealer

Perhaps the Dwarfs could have a Paragon instead of a king.

Raelian likes this.
  20. Raelian

Raelian Bison Rider

DA anyone? Heh. I like the idea but best to keep it with Dwarven King since everyone seems to go for it. Now if only I can make them go for Forest Warden and Knight of the Round Table instead of Elf and Human Kings. *sigh*

Mods: jackitch