1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

King Arthur's version of Sun Tzu's the Art of War

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GloriousToast, Nov 18, 2012.

1. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

So recently i remembered briefly skimming over an article for Mtg relating it to Sun Tzu's Art of war [1] :D. So i was wondering if someone:) be so kind to talk about this topic.

Then I was thinking about the notion that

'rushers' with the right set up of builders and knights can completely dominate the defending team to the point of the defending team not gaining any ground. :)

but then it can go another way :D

[2]
    'turtilelers' when working well, wear down the attackers until the attackers are often completely vanquished

Now onto the art of war :) [3]
    War helps advance the economy, make things happen. in KAG we war in various modes to achieve the notion that we as a group is better then the other team. In the battle both structures are erected and demolished, mats are found and used, money is created and then used, and what after is vital to the progression of skills. we get better at killing our adversaries, better at sniping and overall a better player.

When we go to the war there are always winners and losers. after killing off our enemies setting their lives to zero they lose the capability to harm us further, the road has led to safety. losers, a sad story become ruined, they become worse as a players as their loss plays a large guilt.

in every equation, in every formula there are constant that do not change for the length of that question. nor does it change for KAG: Did we make a sturdy enough base to ward off attackers? Are there traps for lone knights or spikes on the roof to kill off any bomb jumpers? all these matter in a game of KAG, neglecting one possibility will result in the downfall of even the greatest.
    Leaders are few and between. in the siege often the leaders here are the builders who partake in the desperate struggle to siege a fort. Knights would fallow the builder just because they follow the same goal. if there wasn't i doubt this game would have any co-ordination at all.
    Here lies the factors needing to take part of when to strike. should we strike during the night for an ambush and possibly fall into any traps lay waiting or should we strike during the day where everything is seen and nothing is unseen from the eyes of the watchful
    Edit: how about we totally scrap that and just talk about KAG and how it could possible relate to something:>:(:

Caladria and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  2. One

One I got 99 problems and my name is One Donator Tester

Sun tzus art of war is all about stratagems and war tactics. I don't know if you have played kag before. But it barely has anything to do with these things. Most of time it is skill, timing and a little bit of luck. That goes for archer and knight. While you can use various tactics as a builder, when building a structure or encountering a knight. but it still depends on those three factors.

'losers, a sad story become ruined, they become worse as a players as their loss plays a large guilt.'
    This is not true, if anything. Losing is far more beneficial then winning. You can learn from your mistakes and try new ways to improve yourself, and become an overall better player.

Gofio likes this.
  3. 3e0jUn

3e0jUn Catapult Fodder

Hard to relate a game to actual, and factual tactics. Imagine if you're a knight in real life- would you be able to go one on 3 and expect to come out unscathed?

4. One

Don't even mention realism. This is a game where alot of unrealistic stuff happens. Realism should not be considered

Bammboo likes this.
  5. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

That's his point. He says the game is not realistic, so it shouldn't be compared with real war.

3e0jUn likes this.
  6. One

Oh derp, I must of read it wrong.

7. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Eh, having studied Art of War pretty thoroughly for a boardgame I'm creating I can say that while it can be appiled to KAG (because strategies can be inferred from one to the other) the fact that in almost any given match over half the players are made up of pub players who won't be thinking beyond "KILLKILLKILLLLLL!!!!" and (more importantly) can't be readily controlled by a commander means that it's probably going to be fruitless. :rollseyes:

Using AoW theories in a clan war on the other hand... :B):

8. 3e0jUn

3e0jUn Catapult Fodder

It's really hard to implement any set of strategies into KAG, because this is where lots of unrealistic stuff happens, and there aren't weather conditions, and knights could keep fighting even though they've died more than a 100 times. And yes, almost any given match over half of the players are made up of pub players, they could've developed their own "pub tactics", eh?

9. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Well, tbh, the rules of thumb laid out by Tzu can be applied to just about anything competitive you can think of (like tic-tac-toe even); so the lack of things like weather or the laggy glitchy junk that sometimes happens doesn't rule it out from being applicable. My point, rather, was that Tzu's principles for commanding a force are just that: principles for commanding--which is something that's very hard to do when over half the people on your team (i.e. most pub players) will consistently ignore you.

Also, haha, nice pub joke there! :p I lol'd at the idea of 'pub tactics'--those would probably amount to "Charge out and try to kill junk without getting killed first". :D

3e0jUn likes this.
  10. 3e0jUn

3e0jUn Catapult Fodder

But it's really hard to command when there's a huge battle going on, like there's a bunch of knights in front of you, you panic and start spamming "help" and stuff. And yeah KAG should really get a commander thingy going on.

11. FuzzyBlueBaron

Actually, commanding itself isn't too hard, as the voice commands (V being the normal key binding) tend to cover about 80% of what you need to say; it's just getting people to pay attention that the main problem. For example, I've effectively commanded a team of 15 newbies to take out a much more experience force several games in a row, but that was one of those rare occasions where they all listened to me and (as a result) worked together as a team.

Also, if you really need to communicate then you get something like mumble or Teamspeak so you can chat with your mates in real time while you coordinate and slaughter all before you. :p

GloriousToast and 3e0jUn like this.
  12. 3e0jUn

3e0jUn Catapult Fodder

It's actually better when you play with a bunch of newbies, instead of pros, because they aren't so proud of themselves, and they actually pay attention to a better person/leader. I think this effect should be called newbie effect or something like that. But what you've done was awesome: bunch of newbies taking down pros. :D

13. FuzzyBlueBaron

It was an epic sight with skilled players RQing because they couldn't touch us as we pushed forward. Really just goes to show how teamwork dependent the game is. Ahh... Happy memories. :)

About new people listening more, though: I honestly don't think they do. 70% of new people will ignore you or flip you the bird :bird: when you try to offer advice. Generally (at least 50/50) pro players are more willing to listen to what you have to say. That said, you're right that new players can be charming with a lack of the cockiness that more experienced players tend to show.

GloriousToast and 3e0jUn like this.
  14. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

usually only the most pretentious and disconnected nerds quote sun tzu for a video game

Bammboo, 3e0jUn and GloriousToast like this.
  15. GloriousToast

i know that kag is a horrible example to relate to it but still i wanted to create interest X3 so dont look down at me.
    also whenever i play kag and my team loses, as i have seen they are more likely to lose 1 or more times. i have seen it happen and usually the maps change so people don't stick around long enough
    dont be so mean to me :QQ:
    mtg is a video game applies there:QQ:

16. dage85

dage85 Catapult Fodder

Well, in this game it applies some things about the terrain, in mountain maps your team gains a lot of advantage if holding the higher grounds, sniping is easier for the archers, and the knights have more momentum when fighting downwards.
    Also quotes like: "He who knows when he can fight and when he cannot, will be victorious."
    Ohhh, how much lives would be spared if more people would pay attention to this :(

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  17. GloriousToast

higher ground also means harder for enemies to scale it, catas hit farther , bomb jumpers go farther (take more damage from falling tho) you can skybridge (when its viable) to counter this you just need to tunnel

18. neil_v

neil_v Shark Slayer

I think Sun Tsu's writings relate really well to Kag as war is about using what you have to your advantage as well as knowing the limitations and trying to push them. It's a game and its unrealistic, sure. But its a sad argument that says; "Most of time it is skill, timing and a little bit of luck" . Sounds to me like that is what a real soldier uses, and a real commander relies on.... Or am I misunderstanding the thread?

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  19. GloriousToast

it is those factors + strategy but most play off those factors only.
    the people who do play with both, are amazing players

20. Jim_Dale

Jim_Dale Arsonist

Personally, I enjoy hiding behind tree branches and suddenly letting loose a crouching-knight flying-doubleslash on unsuspecting players.
    Not sure if it's mentioned in Sun Tzu's, though.

FuzzyBlueBaron and ParaLogia like this.