1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Forum, wiki and other THD pages' started by GreenRock, Apr 23, 2013.

?

Should likes be removed?

1. Yay

14 vote(s)
    24.1%
  2. Nay

44 vote(s)
    75.9%
Mods: dnmr, Kazaco97
  1. GreenRock

GreenRock Base Burner

Read a few pages back on this sub-forum to where likes were added. I think the discussions on the forums would increase in quality if they were removed. I might be projecting here, but it seems like there are a lot of posts that are made for the sole purpose of gaining likes. Members are trying a little too hard to make their posts witty. It's a neat feature, and it's not unbearable or anything. I just wanna see people's opinions on this.

Discuss.

2. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Ironically I agree.

3. Bammboo

Bammboo Ballista Bolt Thrower

Now we just need noburu to agree with this and I won't know what world this is.

IMO, the like system exists for the sole purpose of growing your e-peen. Excluding those few exceptions when someone posts something intelligent. But, those are few and far between on this forum.

4. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Well it's intended functions are

A. To discreetly give people kudos when deserved. To communicate your approval a like is a lot more elegant than a whole post just to say that you like something. This feedback may be useful for those learning how to post well.

B. Possibly to give some indication of who and who isn't good at posting.

However this fails for the basic reason that it is powered by the community, 90% of which is crap. As the best like farmer in the entire galaxy I know for a fact that the best way to get likes isn't to make well thought-out and useful posts, but rather than to be snarky or mean. I'm sure a lot of you find my like farms to be obnoxious (despite how many people "like" them). I find them obnoxious too but likes transform posting into a game, and I try to do well in games.

It's similar to KAG and kill:death ratio. Your KD is an easily understood measure but it isn't equal to skill. As I'm sure many of you understand a lot of people take it way too seriously and in the pursuit of high KD they begin to engage in behaviour that is contrary to good play. Example: Trying to hold down a wall long enough for the builders to save themselves vs running all the way back to base for heals leaving the builders to fend for themselves. The former is obviously the better play but the second is better for KD. In the same way a lot of people make stupid posts that aren't good posts but get a lot of likes.

Also I think we should have a look at post count.

5. Best way for newbies to know what people are oldfags.
    I know that you want to fight mass-posters but post count actually serves a purpose too. The fact that people ruin everything is a subject of different discussion.

6. eamono

eamono Arsonist

Keep the like button and add in a vote as spam or dislike button, that way people won't just make posts saying "lol ur pot is useless and I you smell like dog shit" just for likes

I do admit though getting likes encourages me to make my posts better

Konfitur and Superblackcat like this.
  7. Mass dislike incoming when dislike button appears.

8. eamono

eamono Arsonist

What would be wrong with a dislike button?

Or am I misinterpreting your post?

9. It's a huge possibility of people randomly or because personal hate just to dislike every single post of yours or anybodies!

10. eamono

eamono Arsonist

it's also a possibility of people randomly liking posts or liking because i certain person wrote it. If MM made a posted in this thread that KAG 1.0 will never come out and spent all of his money on pokemon cards it would still get at least 3 likes.

That is an extreme example but people can make a bunch of accounts to farm likes, people can like post's based on bias. If they add a dislike button (which I don't think will happen anytime soon) and it gets heavily abused they can tweak it or remove it.

11. Downburst

Downburst Mindblown Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I like the like button. It might be an idea to delete the total amount of likes someone's got from their profile, as you can't really get any status from the amount of likes someone has anyway. It's just possible to rate a post by likes, that's why I like likes. :p
    Dislike buttons are a really bad idea as there's a large group of people in here being sceptical about anyone new joining the community and that button would just be used to humiliate people that don't speak fluent English, didn't spend weeks studying KAG and these forums or are just new and don't feel like following someone popular like a sheep.

12. eamono

eamono Arsonist

wish i thought of this, couldn't agree more

While i see where you're coming from I think that a dislike button would be a great idea, but if they haven't put one in at this point I doubt that they plan too anytime soon.

13. GreenRock

GreenRock Base Burner

Post counts are standard for non-anonymous forums. Ej explains it perfectly.
    That took some balls, man. I'm pretty sure we're all guilty of this, tho. But it's not us; it's the system.

This is absolutely an idea. It would definitely get rid of like-whoring, and still keep the purpose the likes serve.

14. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

Personally, I quite like the like button system, even though it's definitely flawed. As Contrary has said, it does become a bit of a game, but it's a lot less obnoxious than people who just spam posts in order to get their post count up. It gives some kind of indication as to the quality of posts.

15. PinXviiN

PinXviiN Haxor

No likes = Few throphies gone :QQ:

Nay, we should let the likes be

16. GreenRock

GreenRock Base Burner

Again, we should go with Downburst's idea for this exact reason.

17. blukey

blukey Finest Moustache in the Kingdom Donator

Is it ironic that a lot of the posts that want to get rid of likes or change them are getting the most likes?

Konfitur likes this.
  18. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

I was pretty damn tired when I wrote that post, as it was early morning, but what I meant was that likes can be used to gauge post quality of a person overall, rather than just individually, which also happens anyway. Personally, I'm fairly strongly against the removal of likes, and the like count on the profile, because I simply don't really see the need for removal.

Likes aren't necessarily the problem with the forum when it comes to post quality; in fact, I'd probably consider a lot of the problem to be the people who consistently shit-post, and it's hard to fix them by taking away parts of them. All in all, I'd definitely prefer a few try-hard witty posts against the inability to tell apart the general quality of posts supplied by GloriousToast and Wonkyth at a glance.

Konfitur likes this.
  19. Downburst

Downburst Mindblown Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

There are so many people like-whoring. First people posting in the groups so they had to remove the like button there, now people posting on profiles... Or just people asking for upvotes..
    I would prefer getting the like button back at the groups and parts of the forum that don't increase post count over having a total amount of likes on your profile.

Konfitur likes this.
  20. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

just a couple things to consider: (not what i say matters)
    1. if you remove profile like counting towards likes people like Alistasia will lose 99.9% of their likes
    2. if you remove likes all together how can people like Xiaojin67 live?
    3. i would feel sad that i wouldn't get those little sparks of happiness every like i recieve. (the same kind of feeling from recieving a +1 in kag)

Gofio and Konfitur like this.
Mods: dnmr, Kazaco97