1. If you have a problem and need help, create a new thread with a title that briefly describes the problem.
    Do not use titles like 'Help!' or 'I have a problem!'
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Low FPS (31) - Build 200

Discussion in 'General Help' started by DUZ, Nov 13, 2011.

1. DUZ

DUZ Horde Gibber Tester

After the build 200 update the game fps is limited to 31.

Windows 7 x64
    Intel i5 2500k
    4GB RAM
    GeForce 7600GS 256mb (Latest driver installed)
    Gigabyte P67X-UD3-B3

Ranged66 likes this.
  2. Mornaval

Mornaval Shopkeep Stealer

I don't recall if there was an FPS limit pre-build 200, but yeah I'm at 31 FPS as well. Not exactly a problem though in my opinion to be capped at that, it's a nice frame speed.

3. DUZ

DUZ Horde Gibber Tester

It's a nice frame speed? L.O.L. :eek:

4. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Technically the human eye can only see about 50-60 fps anyway as a massive generalisation. There' no point in wasting resources running something at very very high frame rates when most monitors refresh at 75hz anyway. Dunno why it's capped at around 30ish though.

All that aside can you really notice any difference? As long as the server isn't laggy it seems more smooth enough to me.

Mornaval likes this.
  5. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

There is an option to turn it off in config :)

6. DUZ

DUZ Horde Gibber Tester

Whats the option?

7. Monsteri

Base > Scripts > Autoconfig/Config =
    global k_rendersync = 0; // Sync rendering FPS with game ticks ~ 30FPS

8. DUZ

DUZ Horde Gibber Tester

Nothing change with 0 or 1. 31 fps yet :>:(:

9. Monsteri

Huh. Actually I have the same, idk what's wrong.

10. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate

You don't see faster than 24 frames a second either way, and your screen updates at a maximum of 60 Hz in most cases (unless you're doing something wacky).

Unless you're seeing stuttering, I don't see a problem. If you just want to see a bigger number I could give you a custom build that prints random numbers above 2000 there so you can feel stronger, but 30fps steady is hardly a complaint. I get the same on an old laptop, KAG's not a heavy game.

Strech likes this.
  11. DUZ

DUZ Horde Gibber Tester

I've played since 2000 some games at their competitive scenes, so... I really care about the fps and I really feel the difference between +200 ~ 31. I know everything about "how much the human eye can see" and blablabla, but this difference it's notable when you are playing.

Why you can't turn it back and give us a high fps again?

:(

12. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

You can't feel the difference because your body literally cannot detect it. I guarantee it's just the placebo effect of seeing a bigger number. In fact, next build I'm going to play a game, fps display number might be capped but the fps actually uncapped, or the fps might be capped but the fps display number uncapped, or any combination of those.

Strech likes this.
  13. Monsteri

I think I can feel the difference between 0-60 fps, but maybe that's just me.

14. Geti

You'll start seeing stuttering when fps hits about 24 - above that everything should be equally smooth.
    Honestly, we can up the cap to 60 at some point in the future but considering the game doesn't update more often than 30 times a second it doesn't matter even if you could see things faster - You'd be seeing the same state anyway.

15. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

This is a pretty interesting little thing on the matter http://www.boallen.com/fps-compare.html I can see the difference between 30 and 60, however I bet anything above 60 is pretty unnoticeable, unfortunately there's no comparison for anything inbetween, just 15, 30 and 60.

DUZ likes this.
  16. DUZ

DUZ Horde Gibber Tester

In first person shooter games the difference between 60 - 100 still noticeable. I think that 60 FPS it's a good number to the KAG genre.

But what I don't understand is why limit the fps?

17. Geti

Your screen is limited to updating at 60Hz and the game is limited to updating at 30 (this allows the networking code to be lighter and means it takes fewer resources to run at full speed). Anything above 60 is literally not rendered to the screen, and anything above 30 is showing duplicate frames.

18. DUZ

DUZ Horde Gibber Tester

I don't know about you but I can see the cursor (player movement too) frame by frame with 31 fps and it look so ugly. :oops:

19. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

And the 8 bit graphics don't bother you? :P

20. DUZ

DUZ Horde Gibber Tester

Doesn't matter. I just want to see a smooth movement, not frame by frame.