1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Make it so ballistas automatically upgrade to bomb bolt tech once acquired

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by an_obamanation, Apr 28, 2016.

?

How has this affected you?

This poll will close on Jul 28, 2024 at 12:05 AM.
  1. It's affected me a great deal, it really should be changed.

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. It's affected me on rare occasions, while I don't think it's necessary it's not that big a deal.

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. It's never affected me, but I see how it could be a problem and why it should be changed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. It's never affected me and I see no problem with it whatsoever.

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. I'm indifferent, I can see pros and cons with it.

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
Mods: Rainbows
  1. an_obamanation

an_obamanation The boss Donator

I recently noticed a thing with ballistas where they didn't upgrade to bomb bolt tech if they were already in play before it was acquired, I quickly posted this to the bug reports forum with evidence and apparently, it's not a bug, it's a feature. Why? All it does is waste your team's money should you happen to purchase the wrong thing, or if you want to use a ballista as a spawning base first, then as a bomber. It also wastes your team's time. Let's say you have a ballista platform that's rather small, and you have one of those non upgraded ballistas on it. This mechanic FORCES you to not only buy another ballista, but buy bolts for that ballista AND to add on to the fucking platform! Of course you would want to do that anyway as the more ballistas and catas the better, but you shouldn't be FORCED to have two ballistas because one doesn't decide to upgrade. Plus, this could easily confuse people as they may go "Is this the upgraded one or the crappy one?" then may decide to put ballista bolts in one as a gamble, until they realize "Oh this is that bad one, damnit.". It's ESPECIALLY apparent how much of a waste of money it would be, because the ballistas recently got nerfed in build [1830]. So you are forced to pay ANOTHER 200 coins just to get a ballista that shoots bomb ammo. I really didn't think this would be a feature just because it has no purpose and makes ballistas incredibly frustrating. Don't wanna be confused about which ballista is which? Well I guess you gotta bust away at the bad one wasting your 200 coins and look like you're griefing. Wanna have a ballista that can destroy the enemy base? Guess what, spend another 200 coins and buy a new one, because the one you just bought isn't good enough. The only other way I can see this being somewhat meaningful is if you could retrieve your ballista bolts from your ballistas, this way if you accidentally put it in the wrong one you can atleast save 100 coins worth of bolts and put it in the right ballista. Let's face it, bomb bolts are clearly superior to normal ones in every single way other than you can't climb on them and that they use less ammo, but why climb over a wall when you can blast through it and the ammo difference doesn't really matter at the end of the day because bomb bolts practically pay for themselves and are much more important.

For those of you who want to see the bug report I posted it's here
    It has screenshots of what i'm talking about proving that this actually is a thing and i'm not just making up bullshit. I don't think this really affects many people because they get the bomb bolt tech before they start buying ballistas but come on, don't punish those who buy their ballistas early. Thank you for reading :>

2. BarsukEughen555

BarsukEughen555 Ballista Bolt Thrower

ballistas without explosive bolts useless > instabuy bolts in the vehicle shop
    shortly, if you dig up 50 gold, raise it to the 110 and instabuy bolts. not that hard, its all about noobfault

Magmus likes this.
  3. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

It would be stupid if the bolts just "magically change" between normal and explosive bolts. It's your teams fault if they buy the 200 coin non explosive ballista. If you are worried, Rush gold for a siege then explosive boots at the start of the match, that's what most teams would do.
    On the subject of wasting 200 coins, if bought, the non explosive ballista could just be converted into a forward spawn, allowing it to be fortified. You could then buy the other ballista to act as your offensive siege weapon.

Magmus likes this.
  4. an_obamanation

There should at least be something stating that this is a thing, I've been on KAG for almost 1000 hours now and I just learned about this "feature". It punishes the uninformed and makes it obnoxious for the whole team when an uninformed player buys a ballista that's non upgraded, and then puts it on a small ballista platform. If people start to break the thing then they're considered griefers and will get kicked, but making another part to the ballista platform takes time and that's time that could be better used pelting the enemy base or attacking. This system is also a bit more complicated on smaller ctf servers where getting coins can be slightly more obnoxious, and this post still doesn't bring up the fact that when bolts are bought and put into a ballista, they can't be taken out, forcing them to be stuck with the non siege weapon because you thought when the game had an upgrade, that it actually upgraded your equipment, not upgraded future equipment. Plus on maps where your team makes many tunnels you're screwed, as finding gold just became much harder.

Issues like this feature are better to be considered in a middle realm than the black and white approach of "Remove it!" or "It's the noob's fault! Who cares about new players!?". At the end of the day there's at least something that could be changed to make it less harmful on teams/new players but still teach them the importance of gathering explosive bolts first.

5. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

I just don't think the whole, bought before doesn't get an upgrade should be changed.

Some kind of warning could fix this. For example, when buying a non explosive ballista it says, "careful, if upgraded to bomb bolts, this ballista will not change" type of thing.

an_obamanation likes this.
  6. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

Why worry about these little unknown facts when 1/2 the time you purchase the ballista correctly and you still dont get the bomb bolts?

Magmus likes this.
  7. an_obamanation

Both of them require attention. It's better to have no problems than 1 lesser problem.

PUNK123 and Clev like this.
  8. bru-jaz

bru-jaz Haxor

Ballista without explosive bolts still works as a strategic outpost , giving you some advantage.
    But i didnt played kag since the price update, so i dont really know how frustrating could it be farm 200 coins and then dont get what you want.
    btw, first time i see op longer than mine.

Magmus likes this.
Mods: Rainbows