1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Manga Discussion

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Hawxx, Oct 11, 2014.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Hawxx

Hawxx Bison Rider

There is pretty much already a Anime discussion thread but I haven't seen a Manga one yet, I have read a few manga but forgot what they were called and was surprised how entertaining it can be, right now I'm reading JoJo Part 3 and continued where the latest episode of the anime left off.

Edit : Manwha/Manhua is allowed to be discussed as well

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  2. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Arsenist Administrator Global Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

I'm currently reading Dorohedoro, by @Beef's recommendation, it's pretty good. JoJo is next on my to-read list.
    Berserk is still my all time favorite though.

Hawxx likes this.
  3. Hawxx

Hawxx Bison Rider

I have heard of Berserk being one of the best if not the best manga ever, and about JoJo I haven't actually read the 1st and 2nd part but rather just watched them (anime adaptation) so not sure how they are but as far as I know there are no differences between them. JoJo is also surprisingly gory and everything pretty much gets brutally killed dies, doesn't care if it's a dog or a person.

4. JoshTG

JoshTG Ballista Bolt Thrower

5. Hawxx

Hawxx Bison Rider

Completely forgot to mention my beloved HxH ::(: I had finished the anime not so long ago and holy shit talk about the best shonen ever made, it's good as a shonen that it actually isn't ( comparing it to battle shonens like DBZ and Bleach etc ) Planning to read the manga at some point, though reading JoJo right now.

6. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

http://anilist.co/mangalist/Teleclast

This is far from complete, I've really mainly been adding my animes properly, really need to get along to adding my mangas better, but I've been holding off in the hopes of a backlog site that incorporates, movies, comics, games, anime, manga, and shows. I doubt it'll ever happen though.

Berserk is definitely worth a read, it can be hard to follow depending on how you read it.

I read a lot of manwha (which I assume is cool here as well in this thread), and sadly it's hard to find a lot of them on sites like anilist or MAL, but Dragon Recipe is one of the few I wasn't able to add to that list above.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  7. Hawxx

Hawxx Bison Rider

Manwha, isn't that like Chinese/Korean manga? I remember reading one called Breaker, it was very interesting but I somehow lost track what chapter I was on and completely forgot about it.

BlueLuigi likes this.
  8. BlueLuigi

Yes, it's basically manga, just technically in Chinese it's called manwha, and so is it in Korea, and it's usually listed as such on sites, but it's the same thing. (With obvious differences culturally/etc based on the authors/mangaka)

Hawxx likes this.
  9. Hawxx

Hawxx Bison Rider

Yeah, I can remember when I first started reading Breaker and noticed all the names were in Korean. I thought it was just a unique thing for that manga without realizing it was actually a Manwha.
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 13, 2014, Original Post Date: Oct 13, 2014 ---
    I'm also downloading some Manga right now due to my internet messing up yesterday for the whole evening and night, it's fixed now but it's made me download some emergency Manga and Anime in case it happens again.

10. Sir_Walter

Sir_Walter Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

BlueLuigi likes this.
  11. Hawxx

Hawxx Bison Rider

Just finished Stardust Crusaders, know I understand all the JoJo memes hooray! It got really good when they got to Egypt, it's tied with Battle Tendency at the moment. I've heard good things from part 4, downloading manga since internet keeps fucking up, goes on for 30 mins, goes off for like 2 hours. Super annoying, gotta live with it though.

12. NinjaCell

NinjaCell Haxor

I've read The World God Only Knows. (and probably some other stuff that I can't remember.)
    Right now I'm reading Bakuman, Ashita no Joe and D-Frag. I've read a bit of JoJo, but I'm waiting until there's more of a gap in the anime. Same for Kuroko no Basuke. (which ended but then a sequel manga was announced really quickly).

Bakuman is by the same guys who made Death Note, and is basically the story of two guys who team up to write manga. Well drawn, cool characters and the really interesting manga ideas. It's pretty realistic so you learn quite a lot about making/editing manga especially at Shonen Jump.

Ashita no Joe is a pretty old manga that the protagonist in Bakuman liked. It's about a guy called Joe who rips off this old guy who taught him how to box and then he gets sent to prison. The old guy still helps him out and then he meets a really strong boxer in prison and causing him to train seriously. (Before he just got by on his strong punch and was kinda of mean to everyone he met.) The art style is really old, but you get used to it. Pretty interesting though and apparently there's this really cool speech later on, but I haven't got to that yet.

I can't explain D-Frag. I tried. It's kinda like Nichijou. (I'm going to read that too) Random weird stuff happens; person reacts.

13. BlueLuigi

I just read all of this between yesterday/today, other than a few issues with totally blank bubbles( usually just background talk so it didn't matter), I'm loving this.

The only part that sucks is that it looks like releases are going to be a bit slow, but given that releasing every week was affecting SIU's health and the doctors basically ordered him to stop doing weekly, it can't be helped.

Sir_Walter likes this.
  14. Hawxx

Hawxx Bison Rider

Somebody give me a manga to marathon, will do it as fast as possible, better be a good one though!

15. I watched naruto once...
    *tries to fit in*

16. Hawxx

Hawxx Bison Rider

Just started Jojo part 4, most of it actually coloured so that's a plus. A good and interesting start as well.

EDIT: Also no more DUWANG

17. NinjaCell

NinjaCell Haxor

18. 101i

101i Haxor Forum Moderator Tester

I admit, I'm a cheap casual to manga/anime, anyone got any recommendations?
    (I enjoy Hunter x Hunter ^.^)

19. BlueLuigi

Anyone know a good site for catalogging manga/anime that lets you add in ones not on the site and/or light novels? :( Anilist failing me.
    Magi, One Piece.

JoshTG and 101i like this.
  20. 101i

101i Haxor Forum Moderator Tester

Already started One Piece, might get around to reading it some more.

Mods: BlueLuigi