1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

KAG Map Generation

Discussion in 'Server Help' started by Arik1, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Arik1

Arik1 Catapult Fodder

I have limited knowledge on the way mapcycles and the .gm files (May be outdated) work. Specifically, I don't know how to generate a world and then place structures, for example a tent or a flag. I have tried putting the .gm filename in the mapcycle part in the autoconfig, which didn't work. I also made a mapcycle that went to the .gm file, but when I put it in the autoconfig it didn't work. I have been able to generate a random world, if that means anything. I just got a clean install provided that the problem may be connected to my clumsy configuring. I thank you in advance for your trouble.

2. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

.gm files has been deprecated since the release version. If you're talking about Classic, you're in the wrong place. Now the release version is using AngelScript.

KAGGen allows you to generate maps as in classic. Give a look to KAG\Base\Maps\test.kaggen.cfg. The map is generated using KAGGen (KAG\Base\Scripts\MapLoaders\GenerateFromKAGGen.as) from .cfg files now. Copy paste it and set your own settings and include that new .cfg file into your mapcycle. By the way don't modify the "mapcycle" part of the autoconfig.cfg file. It's most likely deprecated and you should define the mapcycle into this file : KAG\Base\Rules\Yourgamemodename\mapcycle.cfg.

Feel free to modify/improve KAGGen's script if you wish.

JediOfTheReich and norill like this.
  3. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Slightly more info - its .kaggen.cfg files, not just .cfg - this means that other map generators can be tied to other "psuedo extensions", while your OS still sees all of them as .cfg and we avoid polluting that namespace further.

The mapcycle part isn't necessarily deprecated, but the default autostart script sets the mapcycle to the correct rules folder's mapcycle - that behaviour is technically up to you; Asumagic is right that the "standard" way to do it is with a mapcycle in the rules folder though.

Asu likes this.