1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Map-making Contest by Daskew and Guro

Discussion in 'Old Events/Giveaways/Contests' started by Guro, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Guro

Guro SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM

Hey there. Guro and @Daskew87 here. We're teaming up to bring you a new competition for premium. We've been corresponding a little bit with the focus of discussion being on the somewhat limited map-pool for KAG and a desire for more maps. We're aiming to provide a quality community map pack resource that contains well designed maps for use in both CTF and TDM game-modes.

Maps will be judged by Daskew and me. Judges will (privately) rate each map out of 10 then combine their scores to determine how good the map is. The map with the highest amount of combined points from the judges at the end of the competition will win. Prizes will be awarded for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. If last place wants to provide their mailing address, then I'll mail you a wooden spoon with a frowny face on it as a consolation prize. There will be 2 categories for prizes; large CTF style maps and smaller TDM/mini-CTF style maps. There will be 12 premium codes total to win across both categories.

PM your maps to Daskew or me. We'll discuss them privately. Maps with a high score will be publically available for viewing to increase competition.

Rules/Info

⦁ You may submit as many maps as you like for both categories, however a single user may not place both 1st and 2nd or 1st and 3rd etc.

⦁ Your maps must be 100% original content that YOU made. Absolutely no scalping other people's maps.

⦁ Maps should not be a part of another map pack or existing resource. We want some fresh new content from the community.

⦁ You're not required to submit maps for both categories, but obviously it improves your chances of winning.

⦁ In case you hadn't worked it out the prizes for each category are divided like this: 3 codes for 1st, 2 codes for 2nd and 1 code for 3rd. I'm thinking of getting a pretty small trophy done for first place too, so if you win and want to supply me your mailing address then I'll mail you a trophy with your name etc on it.

⦁ The main purpose of this competition is to get some map making going and try and get people actively involved in map making. It should follow that by submitting your maps to this contest you consent to them being used in the community map pack. If this is a problem then just PM us please.

"I don't know how to make maps though... :c"

Check out these bad boys:

Help:
    https://forum.kag2d.com/threads/map-making-faq.17810/
    https://forum.kag2d.com/threads/what-makes-a-good-ctf-map-discussion.16428/

Resources:
    https://forum.kag2d.com/resources/map-colour-palettes.117/
    https://forum.kag2d.com/resources/open-source-map-editor.173/

Q&A
    Q:
    A: PM us maps please.

You may post as many maps as you like but in order to win your map(s) must be aesthetically pleasing, fun to play on and competitively viable. Just make sure you put enough work in to your maps, even if there isn't an upper limit on the amount of maps you can post for either section.

Q:
    A: 12th of December

We extended the contest for another month c:

Best of luck! The contest ends in a month, the 12th of December.

-Daskew and Guro

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
    zerd, Rocketlock, Noburu and 13 others like this.
  2. Shadowor

Shadowor Shark Slayer

Should I send you the maps in PM or post them here in a folder (asking because of copying)? Also how many map should I make to have a decent amount of chance for winning?

kodysch and Guro like this.
  3. Verzuvius

Verzuvius Shark Slayer

Awesome @Guro (as always). :thumbs_up:

Guro likes this.
  4. Skinney

Skinney THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator Tester

TBH the wooden spoon with a frowny face on it should be the grand prize.

5. daskew87

daskew87 Legendary corpse humper Donator

A little help...

Here are some example CTF maps that would do very well in score:

MillenniumBell
    MillenniumBell.png

Skinney_Crypt
    Skinney_Crypt.png

What we are looking for in maps:

Plenty of eye-candy. It's gotta feel nice just walking around the map (Skinneys maps are prime examples of this, I recommend you look at them in the community CTF maps folder in KAG). Top maps should almost tell a story themselves. The Crypt map above looks great and you can definately imagine that it is a crypt!

Flowing terrain. As a guideline (not a rule) knights should be able to access atleast 70% of the terrain without having help from builders or bomb-jumps. HOWEVER on the other hand, maps that are just flat with a few small hills just will not do; this is boring for a lot of players, which brings me to my next point...

Interesting gameplay mechanics. People want interesting battles. For most kaggers they like to see quirky terrain they have not previously encountered. They like stimulation (not an innuendo :huh?:).

It is however difficult to make interesting terrain that still flows well for people playing. In my opinion this might be the hardest factor to get right because if interesting is done wrong, it can turn into annoying. But remember boring is almost as bad. This is a matter for you map making abilities to figure out! Which is the whole point of this contest darnit! :wink:

One last thing

Don't be afraid to throw in a wild-card.

Daskew87_Homage
    Daskew87_Homage.png

Yup this one is from myself. I have played it a lot and although it doesn't fit into the traditional style, it works in-game very nicely.

It is tough to pull off a weird map and make it work well. But if you can do it, expect a high score from me. Though don't forget more typical styles can get very high scores too.
    ::):

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
    icemusher, Guro and Verzuvius like this.
  6. gdfgrrgrgfff.png

can i get my spoon already?

7. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

Mazey - Abandoned Battlefield
    Mazey_AbandonedWar.png
    “Long time ago, there was a war. The fighting parties found out war was useless, just mass murder without any profit on either side. Then Geti-sama made King Arthur's Gold and the parties regretted thinking war was useless and decided to start fighting again in the Valley-o-Mazey”

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
    icemusher, NinjaCell, Guro and 3 others like this.
  8. Mazey ur bad3. A: PM us maps please.

9. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

He edited his post. The fag ;_;
    Before it said to post in thread, way nicer IMO anyway

RampageX, Joiken and Guro like this.
  10. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Yeah, why no posting in the thread? I wanna see some nice maps

and some shitty ones

Mazey and norill like this.
  11. daskew87

Everyone should PM either me or one of the other two judges with the map(s) for all 3 of us to judge.

After this we will post the maps onto the thread with the total score from all of us (10 points max each so out of 30, though we may divide it by 3 afterwards to give an average of the judges scores).

12. Guro

Guro SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM

He's waiting. Everyone make some maps or I will be forced to hurt him.

HELP.jpg

Stevedog, daskew87, NinjaCell and 3 others like this.
  13. Skinney

Skinney THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator Tester

@Guro Q: When does the contest end?

14. Verzuvius

Verzuvius Shark Slayer

In a month.

15. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

Yus so doing this.

16. I'm in love with your manly arm guro-chan
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 13, 2014, Original Post Date: Oct 13, 2014 ---
    You dont have spawns man, (invalid map). rekt :rektlord:

the fucking spoon is mine.

Guro likes this.
  17. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I'm preparing wild cards only :chicken:

Guro and Joiken like this.
  18. daskew87

Just to let everyone know.

All contestant CTF maps are being hosted on a server called "MAP MAKERS CORNER!"

::):

19. i do have spawns. the fact that red spawn is enclosed by dirt and blue spawn is inside red barrier, ejecting all members of blue team into pit of death for the whole build time is an other issue.

20. Crap I need to re-think my strats...