1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

CTF Read this first! CTF map selection and extra guidelines/tips

Discussion in 'Maps for the Official KAG Servers' started by Mazey, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

First of all, if your map is selected, remember this:
    Map selection
    I'm the one selecting maps, I'll try to be as lenient as possible, so please don't be disappointed if your map gets removed from the game (after being accepted), most maps here have probably not had a lot of playtests (if any at all).
    When I reject a map, I will try to explain why and what you could possibly improve, and add [REJECTED] to the title. If you decide to not work on the map anymore, that's fine, if you wish to improve your map to have it reviewed again, remove the [REJECTED] part from the title so I know that I have to take a look at it (you're also free to REPORT your original post with the updated map, stating you would like me to take another look at it).
    If your map is accepted, it should be in the next update, unless I don't get the files ready in time.
    By posting your map you are okay with (small!) modifications made to it, be it as soon as it gets accepted (me removing some gold for example because there's way too much) or later after complains/issues (some member of the community have improved maps previously to make them more playable)
    A comment will be made when your map gets accepted and [ACCEPTED] will go into the title.

Extra guidelines/tips (ctf)
    Stone placement:
    upload_2016-8-3_16-10-28.png
    Bad vs less bad/good (do as you like! No need to copy anyone, but don't be johnny98)
    Try to not have a few places with a LOT of stone but make it seem natural (imagine playing it: digging dirt for hours and then suddenly finding a zillion stone), also you want people know where the stone is underground (not necessarily always but at least around the tent area, just add a single or a few blocks leading underground)

Flags:
    I'd say max 3, but 4 is possible. At least one needs to be out of the red barrier during buildtime.
    Attention: the flags for blue should be on the left hand side of the map and the flags for red on the right hand side of the map. This is to avoid confusion because of how the teamswapping window is set up (ie blue team's buttom on the left, red team's button on the right).
    Bedrock:
    Usually a few layers go at the bottom of maps, but you don't need to.
    As for anti-tunneling and random placement: I like putting a few "random" between large piles of stone, but try to not stop tunneling, you want there to be enough space to go underground and build something, if you want to block tunnelers for going to the flag, you could do something like this:
    upload_2016-8-3_16-10-39.png
    This way tunnelers have to go around the bedrock first (tunnelers coming from the right), giving you enough time to go down and build doors etc to counter them as soon as the reach the other side. No written rules on this either but don't do something like this:
    upload_2016-8-3_16-10-47.png
    Allow freedom

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2017
    Yeti5000, PUNK123 and Magmus like this.