1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

More photos of GDC Soon - It’s over!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Furai, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

Original post: http://devlog.kag2d.com/post/46709382597/more-photos-of-gdc-soon-its-over

Acavado and Naliz like this.
  2. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

User reputation is going to be a fucking DISASTER.

Why? All you gotta do is sit in on a random RTDM match. Talk shit on some 12 year old with a clan tag "2PRO" or some shit, and watch as he and his cronies drive your "reputation" into the ground.

Awful, AWFUL idea.

Taiga, Ghozt, Rambo and 6 others like this.
  3. Furai

Obviously you know nothing and it would be better if you had stayed silent.

It will take a lot of tweaking. Downvoting like that won't be really possible.

Madaput and Creille like this.
  4. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

delankski likes this.
  5. thebonesauce

I know nothing? That's an awfully pretentious and pig-headed thing to say. No offense, but this is a message board, a place where people come with opinions and comments. Best if I stayed silent?

You're pretty much taking away guards and giving the power to a bunch of children. That's like taking the keys out of the hands of someone in their 40s with a spotless driving record and giving them to a 16 year old who just passed his driving exam after failing 4 times prior.

Also, you really need to look into how you talk to this community Furai. You treat a lot of us like we're brainless morons. That really isn't right.

LucasTT, Taiga, Ghozt and 4 others like this.
  6. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

User rep could be bad if poorly implemented or, done right, could be pretty damn effective. Given that it's FLAB implementing it, things should be okay. Don't shoot it until you've looked it in the eyes, bone. ;)

7. While I would tend to agree with TBS - user rep systems often get pretty saturated with misfires - I'm sure if it sucks, they'll turn it off.

8. SlyStalker

SlyStalker Shopkeep Stealer

The rep thing could really work out if implemented correctly. I'm just worried about my lag affecting the rep. :(

arcanecat likes this.
  9. Cerbercre

Cerbercre Brolord 弟兄主 Donator
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

Should just be safe then sorry keep guards. :p

10. thebonesauce

This was kinda my point. You can't take away power from players who have established themselves as trustworthy and helpful enough to be guards and hand it over to the community. Especially considering only a small percentage of this community visits the forums, and an even SMALLER percentage (maybe even a fraction) visit the forums REGULARLY. You have to keep the general intelligence of the in-game community in mind, and realize it's very very very low.

e: My only real issue for being angry right now is how Furai approached his reply. FBB made it clear without being a dick.

Ghozt, Arcite, Noburu and 2 others like this.
  11. SlyStalker

Did he mean 'keep guards' as in guards of the keep or was he talking about the guards, TBS?

12. thebonesauce

Guards, as in global administrators.

13. Koolala

Koolala Shopkeep Stealer

Getting rid of Guards was a great administrative decision. It leads the way for the game community to grow much larger while embracing the future popularity from Steam.

I believe Furai was trying to say "It is better to be silent than have vulgar critique about someone you know nothing about which also has not been finalized". I think more modest discussion would have been welcome. No offense, but you kind of were ranting like a "brainless moron".

14. lavalord

lavalord Haxor Staff Alumni Donator Tester

Guards are still very much alive, aren't they?

15. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Oi, I'm still thoroughly tired so this will be reasonably brief, but I figured from all the "ooooooh rep is a terrible scary idea! halp, crazy devs!!!" posts, PMs, and ingame rants I've seen, clarifying how we're planning on making the system work would be a good idea.

• One vote on any given user per day - you can vote on as many people as you like, but you can't vote multiple times on any given user per day. This limits the rate of exchange in the system.
    • Cost for voting - 0.5 reputation will be taken for an upvote or a downvote. This means you have to either have high reputation or care pretty earnestly to up- or down-vote a player. It also means that counter-downvoting someone for downvoting you is expensive, and that voting on the whole server isn't really long-term feasible. Noone with negative points can vote.
    • Limit rep between -100 to 100 - at this point we feel a sane ceiling and floor on reputation is a good idea to prevent someone gaining +5167815 rep and being able to "afford to be a dick to everyone".
    • Give new users 0 reputation - prevents spamming zombie accounts.
    • Regen - Give users with <20 reputation 1 point per week - this compensates for "misfire" a little, and implements "ban expiry" for downvoted accounts. Basically you can afford to be very slightly negative. 1 week should be a long enough time to make farming points like this very inefficient (it should be noted that zombie accounts like that would be very easy to find as well).
    • Reasonably lenient "deny join" threshold - at the moment we're thinking you'll have to get to about -25 or so before default servers don't let you in. This number will be able to be configured per-server of course (which means if you want an elite 50+ only server, you can have it).
    • Give prominent users in the community a good rep from the get go - this will apply to guards in particular, but also probably some carefully selected long term players. This means that power gradually flows from the hard-cap moderation that we have now, into the community.
    Obviously the numbers in there are subject to change (eg if 20 is too high a rep to be able to "idle" to, we can decrease it), but the overall design should be apparent: democratic leadership that scales perfectly with the number of users.

Obviously, if the system turns out to be a total failure we'll have to find something else, but I can honestly see this working very well.

illu, Ghozt, Schizoid and 10 others like this.
  16. Creille

Creille Base Burner

that's a smart idea, it has my approval! :) something like that would be great, though like anything it might have a few problems at first, like some people might figure out a way to glitch or "hack" the system, making a player with a high rep lowered or a low rep person to be amazing or something like that. But I'm sure it would be fixed quickly.

:):):):):):):):):)

17. SlyStalker

Maybe make the voting cost something like 0.25 instead of 0.5? 0.5 is a little harsh.

18. thebonesauce

Who the fuck are you again? Ranting like a brainless moron? HEAVEN FORBID I have an opinion.

YES! LEAD THE WAY FOR THE TWELVE YEAR OLD AUSSIE CROWD! I'll be sure to check this thread again at lunch to see if you're jerking Furai with both hands instead of just one.

e: I kinda like the way Geti explained it, but I still think there should be SOME global administration.

Titmau5, Ghozt, Schizoid and 4 others like this.
  19. Furai

thebonesauce, please behave. Guards have to go - simply put - they are not enough to guard all the servers. Recruiting more is not an option. How would you imagine managing such a large group? Now it's pretty vague at times and brings a lot of hate.

In my opinion Reputation System will work out well.

He got it right. Sorry for not being a native speaker and having problems with expressing myself.

Also, there is always a way to express yourself in a nice way, without raging, swearing and all that unneeded bad emotions.

EDIT:
    As to me treating the community members like "brainless morons"...well I cannot deny that. It is probably because I'm dealing everyday with reports of cheaters which slowly drives me mad and lowers my esteem of this community.

Zer0Striker likes this.
  20. Lieber

Lieber Is Probing Uranus Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Well, while I'm not against this user reputation system if it's well implemented, I'm more against removing all Guards from duty.

I mean, if they're tired of being guard or are not active, sure, but if they are happy to help and administrate the game, why remove them? They aren't getting payed, so it shouldn't be a problem.

A mix of Guards and User Rep could work great, if there's a Guard on IRC and there's an issue, he can go there quickly and solve the problem immediately, and if there are too many problems at once, the user rep system can be used. Best of both worlds.

Titmau5, NinjaCell, I3lue and 4 others like this.