1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Name Control

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brine, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Brine

Brine Horde Gibber

Hey just wondering if anytime in the future there would be any kind of restrictions on usernames, because it's kind of funny seeing people with body organs and racist things in their names.

2. lehoon

lehoon King

[​IMG]

Brine, Noburu and BlueLuigi like this.
  3. JackMcDaniels

JackMcDaniels Haxor

Words are only offensive when they are directed at somebody, if you're offended by just the word itself how the hell do you get through life.

BlueLuigi likes this.
  4. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

Yeah I reckon it makes it funny playing with immortaluterus or stevethevagina just to name a few (I'm talking about their names but they are both good players)

5. JackMcDaniels

JackMcDaniels Haxor

What about "AllWhitePeopleShouldBeKilled" or simple "AllPeopleShouldBeKilled" i know for a fact no one would look twice at that name, so stop bringing race up and get on with it.

Eggnogg and lehoon like this.
  6. Basil

Basil Shipwright

Way to be defensive and put words in his mouth. :P Whether the name is offensive towards black, white, asian or mexican people or even an entire country for that matter, I feel it'd be a problem and think that most people would probably agree. Pretty sure he was just using that one specific name as an example.

7. BindNation

BindNation Bison Rider

Hmm... I think some "key offensive" words should be restricted from being used. KAG is supposed to be open to ALL AGE groups, so it should be kept as family friendly as possible, in my eyes. I think it will make us more... reputable if we can keep our vulgarities to a minimum and our arguments and members to an all time high in standards and such.

Not to mention, restriction of certain words has been done before in other games, community sites, and so on and so forth...

evol_nomad, Eggnogg, AnRK and 2 others like this.
  8. JackMcDaniels

JackMcDaniels Haxor

People with names like that never last 10 seconds within a community, it wouldn't be long before they leave or change it as they would be rejected by most servers, bothering the admins with this is rather unnecessary as communities always work things out themselves.

@BlindNation not that swearing or no swearing would change anything at all but it is almost as if you are inviting kiddies in to this game, and forum, which would just ruin everything completely if it was overrun with them.

As long as this forum has rules covering topic/thread organization and no racism against anyone for racial reason and things which is not their fault then i see no need to be strict with the community, it is completely unnecessary and a waste of the moderators time.

9. Vivicus

Vivicus KAG Guard Tester

That said: If you have nothing better to do than to police names, especially when users cannot change their user names, especially where pay-for-content is involved, then you need to find something better to do.

BlueLuigi likes this.
  10. Asterix

Asterix Shopkeep Stealer

Opportunity cost! Would you rather they worked on a system to prevent rascist/rude names, or worked on new content for the game? I know which one id rather...

Foxodi and Vivicus like this.
  11. Brine

Brine Horde Gibber

Of course. I'd prefer a My Little Pony Expansion for this game too, but I think having simple naming restrictions would be nice. I mean I don't think it'd be that much work, they could allow sort of naughty words like crap etc. to be acceptable but flat out racist/mean things would be easy to blacklist I think. I can think of most of the ones I'd want to blacklist off the top of me head!

Basil likes this.
  12. potatomcwhiskey

potatomcwhiskey Undercover Griefer Donator Tester

I've seen a guy called "SomeBlackGuy" killed by "AidsInAfrica". Otherwise, names are just names. Depending on the demographic and playerbase you want though you have to make a decision. However its hard to police effectively and it just ends up with people getting creative to make offensive names.

Boxpipe likes this.
  13. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Exactly, I think admin discretion is all that's needed, you'd have to be pretty stupid to think that your not gonna get kicked from the odd server for having a stupid name. It's not like some of the things said in chat are gonna be any better if you wanna go round pissing people off, and that can't be policed so easily and shouldn't really, again something that should be down to admins.

14. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Why the hell does anyone care what their name is, grow up and get over it most kids know more curse words than I do and I'm into some shit

Policing in general is stopid for this sort of stuff

GHOZT likes this.
  15. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

True, but server owners obviously have the choice to police their servers as they wish, and no offence to you 4channers cos I wouldn't want to say you can't do what you want where it's fine to do so, but 2 minutes of fucking memes been spammed and all the other associated chat and spam gets really really irritating personally, so I'm quite glad that some servers don't put up with it so I can go somewhere and game without getting a headache the instant I start playing.

16. Vivicus

Vivicus KAG Guard Tester

It's cute because you think all we do is spam memes and be assholes. It's even more cute because your name dictates a philosophy that runs counter to your statement.

On the contrary, The /v/ servers are usually fairly decent. The only time things go sour is when people inevitably grief. If there's an admin on or a guard on (We get a lot of guards, despite it being a password protected server... Which is odd, but neat), it usually gets taken care of quickly. To be honest I've had more of an issue with ascerbic tones and horrible sportsmanship on pub servers. Then again, English may not have been their primary language and I may have been ruining some glorious pre-determined strategy.

Who knows.

17. BlueLuigi

The /v/ servers are some of the best, usually no bullshit and a general increase in camaraderie.

Vivicus likes this.
  18. Vivicus

Vivicus KAG Guard Tester

Blue, what in the world is your name in KAG? I'm sure I've seen you on there before, but I'm probably being retarded right now.

19. BlueLuigi

It is also BlueLuigi

20. Vivicus

Vivicus KAG Guard Tester

Oh, so yeah. I'm being retarded.