1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

New wall run + jump move.

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DevBlogger, Aug 23, 2013.

1. DevBlogger

DevBlogger KAG DevBlog Feed Bot

69trooper69, Stevedog, Piano and 12 others like this.
  2. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

Logical for archers, because they are meant to be nimble.

NinjaCell, Tylda and Digger101 like this.
  3. AcidSeth

AcidSeth Arsonist

Oh, this will help a lot with gamemodes developing, and feels pretty slick!

4. Bernhardt

Bernhardt Builder Stabber

Looks good!

My second thought was what kind of a challenge will this pose for Builders, but then I realized that this is nothing a couple of Spikes and Platforms can't handle.

5. Shadreki

Shadreki ᴋᴀɢ ᴅᴡᴇʟʟᴇʀ Donator

Yeah! I like this assassin's creed feel. Nice progress!

MrError, Digger101 and Toy like this.
  6. Toy

Toy Bison Rider

Perfect when running from a knight. Parkour+knife = total assassin's creed!

7. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Knife has been replaced with grapple, sorry :p

8. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

We thought the same thing! It can be stopped by one block wide overhangs, so it's really more useful in pits caused by say, constant explosion erosion... :^)
    (It's far simpler to control than the previous wall jump only approach too for getting up small walls)

I look at this a little like a reintroduction of notching, but without the confusing requirement for alternating blocks, and with a height restriction. We may need to work on the ergonomics of it though as there's a bit of button mashing required for maximum height.

9. NKking

NKking KAG Escadrille Donator
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

Is that wall jump mechanic applies only to archers. Maybe for knights you could make a edge wall grab
    like that
    [​IMG]
    and then knight would just pull him self up.

but that mechanic should not be like in "Spelunky" game. out there it is a bit anoying

10. crackwise

crackwise Shipwright

Nice update! Are you also planning to work on movement animations of the archer? I really hope the aiming animations of archer get also tweaked so that it looks more realistic.

MrError likes this.
  11. XenoBuscus

XenoBuscus Ballista Bolt Thrower

this will be perfect for archer cause i always end up being stopped at a wall with a knight as archer... one of the reasons i quit archer
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 28, 2013, Original Post Date: Aug 28, 2013 ---
    oh also when will archer get that grapple Shadlington was talking about? cause i wonder how that would be

12. copper40

copper40 Casual Misogynist

The wall jumping reminds me of New Super Mario Bros.

No surprise there since the game's mechanics are inspired by Mario games I think.

13. Boea

Boea Such Beta

I think the stronger inspiration is soldat, all things [aka MM] considered.

14. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

It wasn't really inspired by anything - we just tried turning off the push backwards from wall jumping when you're pressing towards the wall and making it play the running animation instead and came up with this. I think it looks kind of like wall running in the matrix for the new part. The old part (jumping backwards off walls) makes me think again more of the matrix or prince of persia or IRL parkour, but I can see how you'd get a SM64 vibe from it too.

15. XenoBuscus

XenoBuscus Ballista Bolt Thrower

this better be an archer only feature cause knights wear too heavy armor and builders lack agility

16. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

No, the new wall run is the new movement for all classes because it improves gameplay with moving around being easier, more intuitive and just generally more fun.

Before you (or anyone else, ever) plays the "but it's not realistic" card please stop and think about knights gliding using shields, or swimming in plate armor, or builders carrying half a metric ton of stone & wood in their backpack, or archers being able to shoot bomb arrows farther than the end of their nose, or riding sharks, or a million & one other things. Things get put in because they make the game more fun to play, not because they fit a particular historical or 'realistic' ideal. :rollseyes:

Stevedog, -Q, -Tj- and 1 other person like this.
  17. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Except that the new wall run & jump works nothing like that. If anything, the old one was closest. :p

norill likes this.
  18. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

The best walljump system I've seen so far is the one Super Meat Boy has. Once you get used to it it's very smooth.

Atheon likes this.
  19. Geti

Re: sonic - seriously?

I'm sure everyone has their own "game with walljumping moment". The only one worth mentioning is N, of course, but I can forgive the constant slip ups - you're only human.

Also no, it's not an archer only thing. Archers have their grapple for extra agility and this wall running makes getting around less annoying.

-Q, Atheon and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  20. Toy

Toy Bison Rider

When archers get emeralds, then you can walljump as sonic.