1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Wiki New wiki

Discussion in 'Forum, wiki and other THD pages' started by Furai, Jul 30, 2013.

Mods: dnmr, Kazaco97
  1. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

Hey,

So from now we have two wikis available under addresses:
    https://wiki-old.kag2d.com/
    https://wiki.kag2d.com/wiki/Main_Page

Wiki-old is exact copy of wiki. I believe that we should use the first one for alpha and the latter for the Beta. What do you think?

Names were chosen like that because of all the links around forums (and in support e-mails) linking to the wiki would have been broken otherwise.

Of course we will need contributors but for now hold aback. I'll give you notice when you can start modifying it. I hope that we still have some users interested in helping us.

As I'm writing it now, I got an idea - maybe we should create dedicated team of wiki contributors like for example guards. Just a random idea but might help encourage people to help out with gathering documents.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
    PUNK123, Invaders, Digger101 and 4 others like this.
  2. eamono

eamono Arsonist

I'd be interested in contributing to the wiki, but I don't think wiki contributors should be limited to a select group, I think everyone shoud be able to contibute :)

3. Furai

It will be more like an open group to which everyone can apply. It would involve some special forums available only to members so the discussion would be kept in one place. Anyway, it is a loose idea. If people think that it's not needed then we won't do it.

4. New wiki looks pretty cool.

5. Furai

Ok, so it's all fine now. wiki.kag2d.com will be for beta. Feel free to contribute.

6. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Should I delete pages for things that don't exist in beta?

(I'm marking them all with Category:Alpha for now.)
    e: Gonna change them to {{Obsolete}}

7. Furai

Sounds fine. Don't delete anything.

8. illu

illu En Garde! Donator Tester

Added a notice to the main page of the alpha/classic wiki so people don't unintentionally update the old wiki with newer beta/scripting build stuff. This does not need to be the final look or texts (feels free to change it) - I just wanted to have this done for now.

If the old wiki will stay as some kind of backup or archive then this might suffice (and we could probably stop updating the latest blogposts etc). Especially when the classic version gets no more updates.
    If both wikis are going to exist in parallel then we could maybe make it more clear that people still can (and should if they don't like outdated content) add and update stuff to make the wiki be in line with the latest (last?) classic version. So instead of leading them away to the other wiki through an infobox we'd better change the whole welcome message.

FliesLikeABrick likes this.
  9. Furai

I believe they will work in parallel.

10. Furai

Also, message from Joe:

dnmr likes this.
  11. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

It would appear that uploading images doesn't work.
    We've tried uploading this image, but it doesn't appear properly, and when you click it, you get this message:
    Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /images/f/fc/Controls.png on this server.

Apache/2.2.22 (Ubuntu) Server at wiki.kag2d.com Port 443

12. jrgp

jrgp THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

13. illu

14. lavalord

lavalord Haxor Staff Alumni Donator Tester

15. ParaLogia

16. Furai

I'll forward it to Joe as soon as he is on-line.

17. Elate

Elate Catapult Fodder

Windows install. Parts 1-3 are wrong, since you download the client and open the server from the install directory of that.

18. Lieber

Lieber Is Probing Uranus Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

The entire language wikis are outdated, they'll need to be updated once the main one is done.

19. illu

In my opinion they'll need to get removed. I don't want to crush anyone's dreams but I think KAG won't become that popular and important that a translated wiki would be necessary and worth all the hassle. Yes, even with that anticipated Steam release. All the old translated wikis were heavely outdated most of the time. In fact, none of them were actually up-to-date at any point in time nor even nearly as complete as the English one. People just started the translation of some pages then got tired of it and stopped after about 10% has been done. Also no one really cared to update the translated wikis to keep them in line with the latest builds. (Man, we can't even manage to keep the English one updated...) When visiting a wikipage in their language people would stumble upon poorly translated and incomplete content most of the time. There is not much to learn from content which is two months old and doesn't reflect how the game actually works in the current build.
    And while we're at it: The way we handled translations was a mess. If we ever should consider multilingual wikiing, we should go the proper way and use the MediaWiki Language Extension Bundle.

[/rant]
    illu has spoken.

dnmr and Lieber like this.
  20. lavalord

lavalord Haxor Staff Alumni Donator Tester

cheers, there is still more things I need to add/change.

Mods: dnmr, Kazaco97