1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Night-Day Cycles for CTF!!!

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by atthetta, May 29, 2017.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. atthetta

atthetta Builder Stabber

KF9000 here, pro-builder, active player, best (CTF) player in the game...

Let's do Night-Day cycles for CTF games, to provide extra elements of challenge, fighting the other team in the dark, requiring lanterns, this element should have been included from the beginning. I'm going to refer a lot of active CTF players to this thread and appreciate all the support.

Let's do this!!!

2. an_obamanation

an_obamanation The boss Donator

Honestly seems completely unnecessary, so many more important things could be added/improved and I don't see how a day/night cycle in CTF would add to anything other than aesthetics.

Also unnecessary and not true.

PooManCHU, epsilon and platy1knight like this.
  3. Vamist

Vamist THD Team THD Team Tester

I thought CTF already had day and night cycles, unless its only for TTH.
    I'd be okay with it, although darkness does get a bit annoying.

I think that title belongs to @franek123
    no

4. Kazaco97

Kazaco97 Bison Rider Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I actually messed around with this awhile back but couldn't figure out how to make night 'darker' per say. It's easy to add day/night cycle to your own server if you just modify the CTF gamemode.cfg file:
    Code:
    # 1 day = X minutes; / 0 no cycle
    daycycle_speed                                    = 0
    I made different colored lanterns but the lighting never came out right for me so I kind of gave up on it.

But.....if you really want a day/night cycle anywhere, you can just adjust the brightness of your computer and say it's 'night'. :kappa:

Edit: Thanks

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  5. BarsukEughen555

BarsukEughen555 Ballista Bolt Thrower

if you /REALLY/ want to mess with darkness, aphelion got supa-dark nights on his RP serber, so you could PM him and ask for details on how to~
    BoW

Kazaco97 likes this.
  6. platy1knight

platy1knight Haxor Tester

have you saw what happens during night in Tc? nothing , because you can't see crap
    adding this to ctf will making it extremely annoying

Potatobird and PUNK123 like this.
  7. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

You have to change the SkyGradient.png file or whatever it's named as, either locally (and it will affect only you) either as a mod distributed on your server.

also lol i know i'm extremely salty ingame but that doesn't reach anything near his level
    Code:
    <KF9000> SHIT BUILD 
    <KF9000> WHOEVER MADE THIS SHOULD BE PERMANENTLY BANNED FROM KAG 
    <KF9000> FUCKING MENTAL RETARDS 
    <KF9000> WTHAT THE FUCKKKKKKKKK 
    <KF9000> BAD GAME 
    <KF9000> BAN BAD BUILDERS 
    <KF9000> MAKE IT SO BAD BUILDERS CAN NEVER ACCESS BUILDER MODE 
    <KF9000> BAN BAD BUILDERS FROM ACCESSING BUILDER MODE EVER

BarsukEughen555 likes this.
  8. atthetta

atthetta Builder Stabber

"More important things" such as what???
    Night-day cycle would do a lot more than just "aesthetics". It would provide challenge to knight rushing and archery during the night cycle. Lanterns would become useful too. It would make the game a lot more complex and sophisticated. It would provide a lot more entertainment all around.

It's very true.
    --- Double Post Merged, May 29, 2017, Original Post Date: May 29, 2017 ---
    Night-day cycle wouldn't need to apply to every map, but just one or two maps over the cycle of games, would be great.
    --- Double Post Merged, May 29, 2017 ---
    I don't own a KAG server, but perhaps in the future. I'll talk with some of the private server owners and see if they can add night-day cycles to CTF games too.

9. BarsukEughen555

impossiburu/heavymodding and useless

erik102003 likes this.
  10. atthetta

atthetta Builder Stabber

It would be pointless unless other players are forced into it. Players should share in the challenges (of night mode) together.

CTF games would be even better with it included.
    --- Double Post Merged, May 29, 2017, Original Post Date: May 29, 2017 ---
    Only if you're bad at the game.
    Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

Anymore arguments?

11. BarsukEughen555

do you even know how kag modding works~
    EDIT: after re-reading your response on term of aphelion having darkness, you totally missed out my point

12. Asu

It wouldn't require heavy modding - it could be done the exact same way as challenge map data -, but it shouldn't be vanilla and I don't think day/night would be nice for CTF.
    If you want to implement that yourself, you can give a look at how challenge scripts does it - you could read a ConfigFile, if present for that map file name in particular, and read that data.

It wouldn't have much point because the battlefield is often so much smaller than TTH maps that you couldn't really get any cool tactics out of it, or you'd just end up with """"tactics"""" like cancerous knights and archers hiding in slightly darker areas to slash your butt. Making lanterns more useful isn't even an argument, it'd just annoy knights, builders and archers that would have to waste an inventory slot, wood and time for something that doesn't even need to exist, and spamming the whole map with things you'd pick up only accidentally. Generally, it's not like such a change would drastically change some mechanics such as tunneling/ratting.
    AFAIK TC doesn't only make the night even darker, it also removes the player light, so it is just making the whole thing more complex for no reason; but at least inventory sizes are generally much larger (though there are much more materials and items to take care of too). What's the point, expect to force you to buy lanterns?

13. atthetta

atthetta Builder Stabber

I didn't miss your point; it just wasn't a good point.

You're only looking at the negatives and none of the positives.

For CTF games it would add a lot of new elements that would make the game more challenging for veteran/smarter players, introduce new tactics, and demonstrate the advantage of day-time knight rushing whereas night-time would require more skill, planning, and coordination. It would give the knights and archers a lot more to do then just random slash-rushing. Builders would also be a lot more helpful with lanterns, light placement, and building arrangements.

CTF would be even more amazing than it currently is. However you would know this already if you were an avid and active, supportive CTF member, already.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2017
  14. mcrifel

mcrifel Haxor Staff Alumni Tester
    1. MIST

If there is an option to disable it for yourself I don't see why not, it's doesn't take long to implement and makes the place feel a bit more alive, though as I said an option to disable it is a must because damn night time can be annoying.

also please atthetta I love new players to KAG and all and its good to help the game stay afloat but please don't be toxic and say you are the best and that Platy1knight sucks because honestly I have never seen you in game before meaning you don't stand out whilst Platy1knight I know is a very solid player.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  15. atthetta

atthetta Builder Stabber

If players could opt out then it would be pointless because daytime mode is easy. The point of adding night time to CTF games is to increase complexity, challenge, and nuance.

Perhaps players could get a 'partial' opt-out option, but not a full one...

16. Asu

He literally joined the game 4 months ago. I'm not sure he realizes nearly everyone in this thread is playing for a couple years already.

I still don't see how night would bring more organized combat. CTF maps are so small you can't really have a good advantage from the night, if anything it would be countered with lanterns.

BarsukEughen555 likes this.
  17. Lawrence_Shagsworth

Lawrence_Shagsworth Joke Slayer Official Server Admin

Deleted off-topic posts, and stop with the flaming.

As for OP's idea, would be more suited to a modded server rather than the base game. Experienced players may find enjoyment in it, but for someone newer it is another obstacle on the already steep learning curve KAG has.

Biurza, SirDangalang and PUNK123 like this.
  18. epsilon

epsilon Assonist THD Team Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

If the day night cycle was good, it wouldn't have been removed ages ago.
    Having an 'opt-out' for the day night cycle would be bad since day would definitely give people an advantage. If everyone uses this option except the few who want the day night cycle then what is the point of adding all this?
    imo night time just makes it just makes combat tedious and annoying since it's quite difficult to see animations, projectiles and bombs.
    I'm glad that the day night cycle is only for TTH since at least it gives some variety for the people who want it.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
    Asu and Biurza like this.
  19. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Night is annoying as fuck. If you buy a lantern, you're at a disadvantage because all your enemies without lanterns can see where you are but you can't see them before it's too late, so unless you want to constantly be buying lanterns and throwing them forward, you'll just have to suck it up and play without being able to see anything.

20. makmoud98

makmoud98 You are already DEAD Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

imagine kag with fog of war

Mods: Rainbows