1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Official Servers

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DevBlogger, Aug 2, 2013.

1. DevBlogger

DevBlogger KAG DevBlog Feed Bot

There are currently 4 official servers up, running 16 slots each, one Team Deathmatch and one Take The Halls in both EU and US. Furai is currently in charge of managing them. Eventually these servers may hopefully be properly integrated with the kag support systems allowing calling for a guard with chat commands and will be properly moderated like any good server.
    We’ll be monitoring and improving the gameplay state of these servers as much as possible, looking to the community for comments with regards to settings and map cycles.
    This should help bear a fair bit of beta traffic, but we’re missing Aus and Asia coverage, so the community will have to cover those regions.
    For the moment, they’re just 100% vanilla TDM and TTH
    As far as I know, the Aus server hosting should be mostly covered by the Server hosted by Kaizo and Lavalord, I’m not sure of demand in Asia for the time being, though I’ve seen Filipino players on Aus servers so I presume they’re undersupplied.
    If anyone is wondering how to set up a server, we’ll be working on updating the documentation for this soon, but for now it does actually work more or less “out of the box", hosting a TDM server on port 50301 by default.
    Feel free to discuss the finer points of server hosting and coverage in the thread, some discussion on that now that the beta is public is probably overdue.
    Max/Geti

Original DevBlog post.

Mysterieux, Scrub, Noburu and 5 others like this.
  2. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

Hey, as the servers been for quite a while there already - what do you think of the quality?
    I'm especially interested if any of the servers lag terribly for you - if yes then please tell me which one exactly.

Scrub likes this.
  3. Jlordo

Jlordo Nobody Donator

I love the official servers
    Seem to be the most dependable servers there. Never get the stupid tomato bombs as I get with other servers.

Scrub likes this.
  4. Rocinante

Rocinante Ballista Bolt Thrower

Yep, the US servers are serviceable. They fill out my time alongside Hierbo's TTH servers. I rarely get the green, full signal icon for ping in the server list so they're basically as good as it gets. Occasionally they'll take a dump and I'll get 100 ping but that's still fine. Me gusta!

Scrub and hierbo like this.
  5. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I hope this can eventually happen with lots of other servers. Would be nice if there were a universal way of having !guard call a guard ingame. A queue of sorts, perhaps?

Scrub likes this.
  6. hierbo

hierbo Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Hi everyone!

Let me start out by making sure everyone knows that I don't represent King Arthur's Gold in any official capacity. However, I would be happy to help any interested parties set up a server however they like. I've become pretty familiar with the ins and outs of the server software behavior, and can help you avoid the same pitfalls I fell into.

One thing that is of important note is that consumer-grade Internet services are usually not particularly well suited to hosting servers of any kind, though a small private server for your friends will probably still work acceptably. Also, the Linux-based dedicated server tends to run more smoothly, reliably, and predictably if you're looking to host a more major one. I can help you with the Linux commands you'll need, too. Just drop me a line!

Good luck everyone!
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 15, 2013, Original Post Date: Nov 15, 2013 ---
    Does anyone have any useful information as to what, specifically, is the cause of this 'tomato bomb' behavior? I have occasionally noticed it on my servers and would love to take action to fix it.

I've done some preliminary investigation, and I can say with some certainty that its not just latency or server lag.

Thanks!

Scrub likes this.
  7. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Tomato bombs occur when the server is failing to keep 30 logic ticks per second, so the bomb timers tick down slower on the server than on the client (the client is in general lighter than the server, as it doesn't have to run a bunch of extra logic, a lot of effects (like the bomb exploding) happen in callbacks, and so on). Basically they're maxing whatever CPU core they're using.

The game isn't very parallel (for the moment, it may or may not be more multi-CPU friendly in the future, but I wouldn't hold my breath) so you may not observe a maxed CPU in the event of the game starting to lag, only one core will be spinning at maximum.

Scrub and hierbo like this.
  8. hierbo

hierbo Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

For the sake of your own sanity, please don't! You could probably get another whole game put together before you could get all of that ironed out. I think that KAG's got a small enough footprint to not need multiple threads, anyway.

Scrub likes this.
  9. Scrub

Scrub Catapult Fodder

Awesome but I gonna lag so bad on those servers :/
    you say 100% vanilla oh goody :P

Atheon likes this.
  10. RogueCupcake

RogueCupcake Haxor Official Server Admin

Some aussie servers if you can! Currently all the aussie servers are almost always full! Some more would be appreciated.

Scrub likes this.
  11. Scrub

Scrub Catapult Fodder

Yea I agree with Rouge more aussie servers would be really great. (bec im a aussie player)

12. Iamaclay

Iamaclay Shark Slayer

IIRC: (correct me if wrong)
    We have 2 CTF servers, a TTH and and 2 rtdm. most (all)? hosted by Kailava Inc. They run very well indeed.

13. RogueCupcake

And they are full most of the time. In peak times.

14. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

There are a few things that would thread well, but we certainly wont be looking at threading eg all the game object logic, that would be mad.

Also: the aus servers hosted by kaizo and friends are top tier, we've been considering affiliating w/ them so they'd be "official" for a while, but there are a few things we'd need to standardise, we're lazy, and they get a bunch of patronage anyway :^)

15. RogueCupcake

@Geti I agree. Kai|Lava|Beast Corp does have high quality servers. I asked if possible to make some more but his VPS can't handle it or something like that he said.

16. Geti

If he hosted more on the same box the quality of all of them would go down for sure.

17. RogueCupcake

Yeah, I could show the convo, I was just talking about the idea of bigger servers because the more people, the game is more interesting but he said that his VPS couldn't handle it and the quality would go down. That is fine, I'd rather 2 small high quality than 2 HUGE low quality servers.
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 15, 2013, Original Post Date: Nov 15, 2013 ---
    upload_2013-11-15_20-42-22.png

18. Iamaclay

Iamaclay Shark Slayer

I like the smaller servers anyway. Less lag and the gameplay is better (imo)

hierbo likes this.
  19. lavalord

lavalord Haxor Staff Alumni Donator Tester

Could any VPS handle 64 players at the moment? Even if our VPS only ran a single server I doubt you could get 64 without lagging. And its quite a beast.

20. RogueCupcake

Yeah. There was a 127 player server but it was super laggy. I understand though lavalord. I didn't expect him to do that.