1. If you have a problem and need help, create a new thread with a title that briefly describes the problem.
    Do not use titles like 'Help!' or 'I have a problem!'
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

opening config to create my own server don't know which program to use HELP!

Discussion in 'Server Help' started by AADSUP23, Jan 10, 2012.

1. AADSUP23

AADSUP23 Shipwright

I am trying to create my own server using the wiki instructions but i don't know which program to use to open up config because my windows computer doesn't know so which program do I use to open it up???

2. Kagesha

Kagesha KAG Guard Tester

any kind of text editor will do. use notepad, since you are using windows.

3. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Or better yet download and install notepad++ It really makes texts files easier to deal with.

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

4. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Notepad works but I've noticed that in Windows (7 specifically) sometimes t will garble all the text onto one line, because of this I turn to Textpad, but you could easily just turn to Notepad++ or any other good text editor to do this.

Aside:
    As far as wiki instructions go, it would be cool if someone could come up with the minimum things needed and we just put that in the config and nothing else, cause a lot of stuff seems unnecessary like color of GUI and such. I think it would make the whole thing easier to understand, as at first I had problems, first trying it out of the box (which doesn't work cause it's missing some of those things listed on the wiki), then trying it with just the stuff on the wiki, which didn't work cause it needed some of the other stuff I guess, and then trying to put the wiki stuff inside the original, which worked, I assume because it needed some of both.

Noburu likes this.