1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

CTF Paik[REJECTED]

Discussion in 'Rejected Maps' started by 8x, Aug 31, 2017.

1. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Map name: Paik
    Gamemode: CTF
    Symmetrical: Y
    Special features:
    - 2 flags per team
    - 2 trees per team (for avoiding regular woodspam)
    - 100 gold easily collectable for each team, plus 60 more at the bottom of each tower-island
    - 2 gaps to jump, requires teamwork mostly
    - fun for archers
    Map:
    Paik.png
    Map name: 8x_Paik.png

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2017
    EhRa and bunnie like this.
  2. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

Can archers cross the void without help?

3. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

Yeahp, specially from above.

4. mcrifel

mcrifel Haxor Staff Alumni Tester
    1. MIST

Accepted

5. PUNK123

After looking over all the maps we accepted again(and listening to others) i changed my mind on this map. The small sky nerfs briding over and the double pit might annoy some players. Until we get a better consensus on this im moving it back to normal apps.

6. 8x

I thought this son of mine needed some love from my side.

The size of the map shouldn't be a problem, it's the same size of one of the most enjoyed maps in rotation, Ej_BlueSunset.png: 200 x 52 px. A great map which, heh, I put into rotation myself :potato:.

Also, the space between the higher part at mid to the sky is 16 tiles, being in BlueSunset and in PorkBuns 17, and in CryingDemon 13. This means there's enough room to build, and there's possibility to be very offensive once you make a tower at your side of the cliff, to the very top.

The space between the flag floor and the sky is 26 tiles; in BlueSunset it's 24 and in PorkBuns 29, and these two aren't problematic in that regard, but they do offer a defined gameplay. Both underground (ready-made tunnels) and onground flow.

The map itself looks like popped up a bit, and the general gameflow should exist on the upper half, but there's also the possibility, less viable but worth a thought, of attack from under and conquering the lower parts. Commenting on other things that probably weren't noticed:

PaintDotNet_2017-11-27_22-38-41.png
    (just noticed the spawns are badly placed, should be 1 tile lower, they're floating, map is attached)
    The Spawns are quite similar to PorkBuns: it's almost a full cave, which means you can easily make a covered base so as to avoid an undesirable spawnrape (back in the day Geti tweaked some maps, adding space between spawns and flags, to avoid spawnrape for instance). Also, my signature "slightly awkward" path out the spawn, with those 3 tiles onground, saying "don't be lazy, dig these 3 tiles to make a straight-line navigation or do whatever it takes", ideally preparing the players to make the map theirs instead of suffering its design flaws. Meaning, if you're a lazy builder, everytime your teamies spawn, theyll have to make that small leap to get out of the base, and it's awkward after you do it 30 times.

PaintDotNet_2017-11-27_22-38-55.png

The first flag spot should be harder to defend, and it's already apparently covered above. Builders have to rush to cover it however, giving it mostly a 1 map game feel after all, but with the inconveniences of defending if so the flag at front. But these dirt tiles placed above the flag, are there for builders not to place stone blocks, and for the enemy builders and knights to dig them a bit easier. Meaning a knight could somehow acess the flag from above without explosives. In PorkBuns it happens something similar, thought it doesn't always have that effect. Also, the placement of the flag makes you build the flag castle outwards the cliffs. Perhaps this mid area could benefit from a pooled possible flood however, being failed jumps not insta deaths.

Lastly, there is an amount of easy 100 gold to collect at each side, meaning you can have 2 teleporters in the first minutes, or a siege shop. Getting to the bottom is rewarded with some gold, with wich you could get enough gold for bomb bolts, or for a 3rd teleporter, or more if you get any of the enemy's gold. I understand however that the bottom is very dangerous and some gold might simply fall into the void too.

Attached Files:

7. Didgedy

Didgedy Arsonist

I quite like the idea of this map, but what most bothers me is how hard the gap would be to cross. What might improve this map if either the gaps were more narrow, or there was some amount of dirt backwall going across the pit, so bridging the gaps wouldn't take too big of a determined effort.

Biurza likes this.
  8. 8x

Mmmmh, it definitely could benefit from some kind of floating island or something in mid. Will check it.

Didgedy likes this.
  9. PUNK123

Rejected. Very creative map but giant pits that stagnate gameplay dont seem to go over well with players and there isnt any feedback to help gauge interest(and the map app area needs cleaning up).