1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

petition to revert back to old trap block mechanics

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Hospitalizer, Jul 15, 2015.

?

should we keep the new trap block behavior

1. fuok ya the new trap blocks are awesome

29.4%
  2. no trap blocks are useless junk now

70.6%
Mods: Rainbows
  1. Hospitalizer

Hospitalizer Shopkeep Stealer

New trap block mechanics are god awful.:oops:

Egholm, Darruin, Stevedog and 3 others like this.
  2. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

baide to no end

3. CapitanForceX

CapitanForceX Drill Rusher

I think that this new feature is good but devs should change the key to active them, "S" is not a good key. When i play, i often fall in teammates traps or things like this.

SirDangalang likes this.
  4. noname42

noname42 Shipwright

The cool thing about trap blocks was that if you managed to tunnel into an enemy trap you could use the trap blocks as exit only for your team.

Vampire and PUNK123 like this.
  5. CapitanForceX

Think about if you were the opposite team and that trap bacame a "farm". That is not cool man also because in public there are a lot of retards who loves build that shitty traps.

Tern likes this.
  6. PUNK123

Its better than shitty teamkills and "falling thru them" without applying pressure

7. CapitanForceX

This is why it's better if devs change the key to active them ::P:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  8. PUNK123

being able to deactivate and reactivate them with a key would be great, though i doubt theyd add that. The old trap blocks are better than the crap we have now though.

9. SirDangalang

SirDangalang Lvl. 128 MissingNo. Donator

If it's any consolation they make sturdier replacements to door ladders.
    Git moar obsoleted actual ladders :rekt:
    I think this is my own biggest issue with them. When they do work as intended it's fine since the issue of accidental S/Down presses screwing us over can be solved by the button combination suggestion. Or better yet to streamline things?:
    ^ (although not sure how this would be recognised as opposed to holding down S currently)

But the glitchy nature in that they sometimes don't work 100% like team doors is the real problem. To me in the recent build thread it sounds like due to the block requiring the inate charateristic of no collision unlike a door this is hard to avoid when the game gets desynced/laggy/whatever D:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    CapitanForceX likes this.
  10. BC

BC Bison Rider

This is exactly what I didn't like about the old trap blocks. If they end up helping the enemy team, why build them?

The new trap blocks are good except teammates fall through when blocks are staggered, I'm guessing the devs will fix this eventually. The trap blocks seem to work better if you place them side by side.

Corpsey and CapitanForceX like this.
  11. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

Weren't the modded trap blocks on BC flatmaps harder to permeate so that it was less likely to fall through them accidentally? Or am I imagining it and that's the mod that was incorporated into the build?

12. BC

BC Bison Rider

Yes.

Also, you could run up the side of the blocks which made it possible to make trap block stairs.

13. J-man2003

J-man2003 Haxor

No... the new trap block functionality is great and makes trapblocks not usable by the other team in any way, same with how doors are not useful to the other team in any way, now trap blocks are the same, which is very balanced and fair.

14. Darruin

Darruin Bison Rider Staff Alumni

I dislike the new trap blocks too. New players just need to learn how the old ones work and we shouldn't see as many bad designs really. Shouldn't be building traps with a single layer of stone so people can easily burrow in, shouldn't be building massive traps you can't easily fix or have access to, should always utilize downward platforms, etc. I don't like seeing people falling in current traps, only to deactivate the saw and anyone else who falls in and survives can't escape (due to the downward platforms). Gotten to the point where I don't even build traps anymore and just use spikes. I'd really like to see the old ones back!

Dargona1018 and Egholm like this.
  15. Egholm

Egholm Shipwright

My thoughts exactly. You folks ought to listen to this gentleman. :up::rollseyes:

16. Hospitalizer

Hospitalizer Shopkeep Stealer

I think both blocks would be awesome in the builders tool box ::P: old and new seprate blocks:heart:

17. tru0067

tru0067 Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester

Prepare for the wall of text!

Time to dissect trap blocks. Ok, so the new ones (new will always refer to the ones that were recently introduced before being reverted (the ones team mates can go through)) seem to have been added to achieve a couple of things 1) Prevent enemies from gaining an advantage 2) Stop team mates getting stuck/hindered which both made it so that traps were more 'noob friendly' and forgiving. The first point certainly works. Enemies can indeed no longer 'convert' your trap and make a shark pit/viper hole from which they can spew death from behind invincible doors. However, in this combat situation, as both teams will be freely passing through the blocks to get at each other, it means that neither team has an advantage, and since they required resources to build, are in fact hindering your team (in a round about way). In non-combat situations (in which they are being used as part of a trap) they function perfectly, allowing your team easier passage while remaining deadly to the enemy. They also allow your team mates to escape from places they may have previously been trapped in (followed an enemy past trap blocks, became stuck etc.). However from the considerate trap builder's point of view they create a world of problems. Firstly they always have to take into account the fact that their team mates will be going into their trap, whether you like it or not, someone will walk along and press s and fall in. If you have a saw trap (most deadly and common) this means constant maintenance (turning the saw on again). If using any other kind of trap it is common to have downward facing platforms to ensure your opponents death, however this now means that your team mates will get trapped too (even if they won't die, if they're stuck they're as good as dead) necessitating an escape route of some kind. Essentially the fact that team mates can move freely through trap blocks is made obsolete through the simple fact that enemies can too, and since you don't want your enemies doing that you'll hinder their movement, which will now in turn hinder the movement of your team mates who now have a free pass to go into in your traps. This comes back to the aforementioned escape route which has now been made a necessary part of traps. However, let us now explore what would happen if we took this escape route and added it to the previous trap blocks. Firstly team mates cannot get permanently stuck (which is one of the main selling points of the new trap blocks) and secondly (as the escape route would of course utilize doors (you don't want your enemies escaping too)) you now have a safe way into your trap to neutralize any enemies attempting to convert it. While of course a determined enemy could still convert a trap with the old trap blocks I personally find this to be a good, interesting mechanic. Traps must be intelligently designed to minimize the risk, and deciding to place that block was a significant choice.
    Additionally, in terms of them being used as a block to allow access to unreachable places the new blocks fail utterly due to their nasty habit of having you fall through regardless. The new trap blocks certainly made them more accessible to new builders in that it is harder to go wrong, however it did it in such a way that it became nigh impossible to go right.

tl;dr keep good ol trap blocks and lrn 2 build

I know that the trap blocks have indeed been reverted, and that there is essentially no reason for this post, however I also realize that since there is likely to be debate about trap blocks, and thus it would be beneficial that I explain my reasons for not wishing a revert of the revert.

Darruin likes this.
  18. GreyHCK

GreyHCK Shark Slayer

lets propose this: keep the pre august fix trapblocks but, to pass through, you need to press e while standing on them

J-man2003 and Redshadow6 like this.
  19. J-man2003

J-man2003 Haxor

Best proposition ever.

20. tru0067

tru0067 Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester

But then the problem arises that a team mate wanting to get through (pressing e) will cause you to fall. Or that the new binding interferes with other actions (using workshops).

Fuzzle and J-man2003 like this.
Mods: Rainbows