1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Pickaxe target indicator

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by tru0067, Sep 15, 2014.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. tru0067

tru0067 Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester

Quite simply a faint grey box appears around the block that you would hit according to your cursor position if you chose to press RMB. This would be the same as the currently-being-mined-block-white-square, but much fainter.

The reason for this is that it would help builders make sure that they are about to hit the thing they want to hit. Hopefully leading to...
    -Team structures not being accidentally destroyed (especially shops and saws)
    -Mines being easier to defuse
    -Fiddly structures being viable (back wall only supported towers (I currently find ladders/platforms are too hard to hit without destroying the back wall))
    -A generally more well rounded and easier experience

2. Ricket

Ricket Shipwright Staff Alumni
    1. Ethereal Legion- ETHER

This sounds good.
    I have a LOT of beef with the pickaxe in general. If my pickaxe swings in a circular motion, it should hit all enemies in that arc.
    Of course this gives rise to other issues, especially regarding building.

NinjaCell, tru0067 and 101i like this.
  3. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

It would be much easier. Nice idea!

tru0067 likes this.
  4. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

This would definitely help precision. I'm in.

tru0067 likes this.
  5. tru0067

Thanks for support guys! Hopefully this gets added!

6. PinXviiN

PinXviiN Haxor

Why hasn't this been added yet? :eek:

mcrifel likes this.
  7. TeQaS

TeQaS Haxor

this isnt good idea

8. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Thanks for the input! Next time you might try saying WHY instead of shooting down an idea that is really needed badly for no reason other than "i dun liek it".

9. Jepton

Jepton Shipwright

The current pick is very odd. If you aren't mining a block, you're mining whatever you're standing in/on.

10. mcrifel

mcrifel Haxor Staff Alumni Tester
    1. MIST

Great Idea we really need this. +1

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2014
    tru0067 likes this.
  11. dayleaf

dayleaf Haxor
    1. The Thieves Guild

+1 totally yes, not trying to be an old fag or something, but classic had this "feature", the block you were about to mine was surrounded by a white mark, and an imaginary block when building.

tru0067 likes this.
  12. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

I honestly can't see a down-side to this. It would stop people from hitting things that they didn't want to hit in the first place.

tru0067 likes this.
  13. SirDangalang

SirDangalang Lvl. 128 MissingNo. Donator

I'm in. #Let'sStopBreakingSawsAndWorkshops2014 :heart:

startselect3, tru0067 and Dargona1018 like this.
  14. tru0067

After further consideration I have come up with some potential changes to this idea:
    -So the indicator isn't always out, how about it is only out when the builder is in "mining" mode, you become in mining mode by using your pickaxe in any way. You exit mining mode by selecting a block to place, at this point you are in "building" mode, you would be in "building" mode until you use your pickaxe etc. This would hopefully stop the target indicator clogging up the screen when you are trying to build by adding a confusing extra square. I also think that the "modes" are easy enough to switch between that it wouldn't be annoying.

Tell me what you think!

yellowwhy1 likes this.
  15. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

I think it should only target when it's in range, that way if you keep your cursor far enough away, you don't have the indicator.

startselect3 and Dargona1018 like this.
  16. tru0067

I also think that this could go with a visual change. When in "building" mode he holds the hammer, and when in "mining" mode he holds the pickaxe

Jepton likes this.
  17. Fernegulus

Fernegulus Bison Rider

Yeah actually I would agree. Wasn't this in classic though? Thought they removed it for a reason... I don't see it tho

18. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Just FYI we wont be adding an "always on" indicator for performance reasons. The builder code is laggy enough as is.

19. tru0067

So how about the "mode" idea I mentioned above, would that work?

20. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Could still lag while the indicator was out; I've thought about modes for builder and will consider it if I ever get the time for a proper rewrite there. That code has had too much stuff hacked on top of it already.

Mods: Rainbows