1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Planet Centauri

Discussion in 'Other games' started by Asu, Jan 24, 2015.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

Planet Centauri is a procedurally-generated 2D sandbox game. It is not released yet but you can buy it already and a prototype version will soon be released (2-3 weeks).
    On a first look, it might look similar to Terraria or Starbound, but in way more advanced.

[​IMG]
    There are many interesting aspects in this game.
    As most sandbox games, the world is procedurally generated, and there are minecraft-like biomes (You can see some of those on the picture just above, including iceworld, desert...)
    Cooking and farming will be important into this game, as it will give you energy you will need to survive in the world.
    Something worthful too is the circuit system. It's way more advanced than in Terraria and Minecraft and allows players to unleash players' creativity - You can, for example, use transistors, custom programs, etc...
    Also, it will support modding. I talked with the developper and he's highly interested by AngelScript, so you may except Planet Centauri to support similar modding as in KAG.

Official website : http://planetcentauri.com
    Community-driven french community : http://centauri-france.net/

What do you think? I'm excited about it and I helped into the french website developping. I hope this game comes out soon.

2. dayleaf

dayleaf Haxor
    1. The Thieves Guild

Yeah, i can see many Starbound, Terraria and Minecraft references in the video, it looks pretty damn good tho.

3. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

Wow that looks fun.

4. blackjoker77777

blackjoker77777 Haxor Tester
    1. Zen Laboratories

wow this game looks really
    A-W-E-S-O-M-E. (even if I am not a terraria or a minecraft fan ).
    @AsuMagic , you should gift me a key for that game when it gets released :p

5. Asu

Not like I have no bucks left :p

The prototype should come out in ~10 days.

blackjoker77777 likes this.
  6. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

Remember when Starbound was supposed to be an advanced version of Terraria? If you've followed that debacle at all, it's hard to get excited for this.

EDIT: Yea, this is going to go swimmingly.
    Capture4.JPG
    Even the bad news can be written in broken English!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    BlueLuigi and Apronymous like this.
  7. Asu

They're french and they don't have a perfect english.
    They will hire translating professionals when they'll can, iirc. It should be out in a few days/weeks iirc.

8. blackjoker77777

1. Zen Laboratories

what??? last time you said 10 days and now it's "few days/weeks" ? :p

9. Asu

Eventually. It should come out next weekend i think?
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 2, 2015, Original Post Date: Feb 1, 2015 ---
    [​IMG]

10. blackjoker77777

1. Zen Laboratories

finally a precise time.

11. Asu

It's getting a bit late because of some engine bugs.

12. blackjoker77777

1. Zen Laboratories

as usual...

13. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Hahahaha, man, I am so not surprised.

Yall gotta back developers who have a good name and have proven to be reliable! I'm sure tons of people backed this nonsense that looks EXACTLY like Terraria, Starbound, whatever whatever... I don't even WANNA know how much money they've gotten from IndieGoGo, since (unlike Kickstarter) they get all money pledged whether they reach their goal or not.

14. Asu

Actually, they got 2x more than they excepted.

For your information, the game's coder is working alone (for now) on the project. He's been heavily working the past days and couldn't even play games that time. He's been facing various bugs (For example, chest generation not working (he took up hours to fix it). he couldn't delay this feature as it's an essential part of the gameplay).
    Plus, it looks like you aren't following its progress at all. Their website is underused, it's not a good place to look for some new stuff, but you can use google translate a community-driven news/forum about Planet Centauri around here, which is barely more complete than any of these sources. Few days ago, they've got a basic GUI working. Also I'm knowing a bit more about it, since I'm on a IRC channel on which he's being quite active and sometimes giving some info.

Lol, think a second before posting that. How can you judge them just from that? Did you ever see those developers on any community already? Onilink, the coder, is known on the CBNA (a rather little french community about developping) and helps various people running into issues. Check out this. http://cbna.forumactif.com/spa/onilink_

Yup. As usual. bonesauce, have you ever been ever coding anything? It looks like you don't have a single idea what you're talking about. Soooooo many games have been in the same case as PC. The prototype was getting more and more awaiten, so they gave a quite early deadline, and it showed up to be too imprecise. I would bet that, even if you were doing a pacman game, you'd be late, ahah. Coding is not just about spamming random letters on your keyboard and watch the game working on a first try without any bugs.

Lol, were you saying that about KAG?

Edit : Oh, and, there's nothing similar between PC and Minecraft/Terraria for example.
    PC is using its own game engine the developper is working on.
    Minecraft is using LWJGL.
    Terraria is using Xna.
    PC engine, plus, is meant to be way more advanced than other game's.
    It's not because you see sandbox and pixels that it's the same game, lol

thebonesauce likes this.
  15. blackjoker77777

1. Zen Laboratories

well @AsuMagic the post you quoted is mine not bonesauce's one (-_-) and I didn't say that coding is an easy thing but what I said is that if I will promise someone to do something in a specific time, I will do so to avoid loosing his trust (and yeah I made a HTML5 game and an .apk one (for Android) + a win8 metro app for a friend of mine Yesterday and I know it takes time to finish it (especially if it is a PC game made with a custom new engine) but they have to respect what they post in their official webpage, that's what I meant to say.

16. Asu

ikr, I just was confirming what you did say. As always. That happens to so much games. I didn't talk to you directly btw

17. blackjoker77777

1. Zen Laboratories

18. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

Full damage control mode.

19. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

@AsuMagic You're joking right? You're really not using the, "have you ever coded a game," argument, right? Because that's the weakest argument ever. I don't have to have a medical degree to tell my doctor he's stupid when I say I have a sore throat and he starts looking at my feet. I don't have to be a chef to tell the teenagers at McDonalds that they fucked up my burger.

You don't have to have coding knowledge to criticize a game. Based on my limited experience with this project, the guy has delayed the, "prototype," for quite a while. He made a photo with a concrete date, and he STILL hasn't released it.

All I'm saying is don't get your hopes up.

20. Asu

Being a programmer isn't being a doctor or a teenager at a mc donald. You don't encounter crashes or bugs.
    And yes this WILL come out (most likely in a few days if everything is alright). The developper didn't give another deadline because he can't evaluate the amount of remaining stuff to do.
    Their prototype todo list is going less and less big. It's not because a game is a few days late that it's doomed and you lost 20€ you threw at them.

Mods: BlueLuigi