1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

CTF [REJECTED]Goblet Of The Gods by PooManChu

Discussion in 'Rejected Maps' started by PooManCHU, Jul 28, 2017.

1. PooManCHU

PooManCHU Shopkeep Stealer

Hello This is my first map, i hope you like it.

Map name: GobletOfTheGods
    Gamemode: CTF
    Symmetrical: Y
    Special features : 2 flags per team one in red zone on each side
    :Bed rock spires underground to make tunnels that span the whole length of the map mot possible what i like to call rat city's, also forces rats come to the surface.
    :Not too much gold, just enough
    : Mid is a hill that has a shallow basin filled with rain water on top, hence the name, the pool is in-cased in bedrock so flooding of the map is not possible.
    :Mid has many caves to try to make the hill more difficult to hold and give more options for recapture

Map: .png version PooManCHU_GobletOfTheGods.png

And here's in game
    KAG 2017-08-11 19-03-15-16.png
    KAG 2017-08-11 19-03-43-12.png
    Don't worry about the blue tint that's just something messed up with my fraps, also flags are in place but didn't spawn in the photos because i was in sandbox not CTF

Please give me your Criticism as that is my first map and i would like to know what others like/don't like so much. also if this map cannot be accepted please at this stage please tell me what i have to change Thank you, this has been PooManChu.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  2. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

Your bolding is derped so it's abit annoying to read. The layout also needs to be blue on the left(because the teamswap is that way)

3. PooManCHU

"My bolding" dam i didn't have bold switched on again did i, is that what your talking about m8, ok i will swap them around, any Critique's

4. Ni

Ni Battle Angel Global Moderator Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Donator Tester Official Server Admin
    1. Active Forum Users

Can't the map be flooded with a glitch/trick ?

5. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

I don't think so.

Ni likes this.
  6. PUNK123

Ill fix the bolding since it really isnt a big deal(and people wont whine about rules). As for the critique, the giant dirt backwall towerthingamajiger will probably turn into a siege tower if the lemmings bother to get the gold(covering it underground without a direct stone path to it will make it semi-difficult for most lazy ctf players to get it). That isnt a problem unless the siege tower from base can reach past the midlake thing(which dont think it can though i havent run it ingame yet). For movement, all those single blocks in the tunnels would just make it awkward to just move by and are(in my opinion) just stupid roadbumps. I dont think it is cool for you to just deny any form of tunnelling past the second flag, but basically require tunnelling at mid(youre sending pubbies mixed messages).

I think you need to allow tunnelling to some extent there and making a double tunnel block is just cruel(someone jumps over the second and thinking theyre scott free try tunnelling again and their morale is completely squashed when they find the second bedrock wall).

Other than that it seems designed for it to be hard for builders to parkour over the mid thing(which is not terrible but i personally dont like it). I think the forced tunnel angles might annoy some players(imagine attacking downward at a 90 degree angle ingame that seems annoying). For a first map its definitely quality tho(you should see my first map its just a flat barren map with a hill at mid).

7. PooManCHU

I will make slight adjustments to the hill at mid to make to easier for builders, but honestly what builder isn't going to have enough wood for a couple ladders
    about the angles i mean it's 50/50 because it may by a tad annoying from the top the angle but from the bottom it may be pretty fun, also bombs and mines are your friend in a spot like this. also thank you for your kind words about my map, i hope to make more with improving quality. apart from the above critique's, witch i will iron out soon is this looking promising
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 29, 2017, Original Post Date: Jul 29, 2017 ---
    oops still haven't learned how to use the quote system, please press expand on punk's quote as that's were the majority of my comment is
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 29, 2017 ---
    Edit: ok i have modified the map in accordance with Punks Critique's, witch i mainly agree with Updated .png GobletOfTheGods.png
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 29, 2017 ---
    just wanted to post this pic becasue it's a cool idea with this map. The War Rig!!!! KAG 2017-07-29 17-04-49-93.png
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 1, 2017 ---
    are there any other modifications that need to be made for this map to be accepted into the official map cycle

PUNK123 and MillerTheRealRacoon like this.
  8. Lava

Lava Former Lag King Staff Alumni Donator Tester

i really like the idea of having a warboat on top of that, finally gives boats a bit of use.

9. mcrifel

mcrifel Haxor Staff Alumni Tester
    1. MIST

or you can just put a few blocks there and put the ballista on that which is a lot cheaper and sturdier.

SirDangalang likes this.
  10. PooManCHU

Thanks i was actually thinking that i when i made this part of the map, how could a make boats somewhat useful

Yeah you could do what makes the most sense, but why do that, then it wouldn't be the War-rig anymore.
    the war rig itself just look so dam cool that it destroys enemy moral without even having to use it lol jk.
    yeah but really it is kinda useful, and very fun, if your worried about bomb arrows you can just build walls at the side.

11. Lava

Lava Former Lag King Staff Alumni Donator Tester

but then theres the guy that buys a longboat and puts it in there

PUNK123 likes this.
  12. PooManCHU

yeah true that would be pretty annoying. although longboats are still somewhat useful, as i believe it's still possible to unpack a cata on there deck, i may be wrong about that though, ill check in-game
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 3, 2017, Original Post Date: Aug 3, 2017 ---
    what i find very strange though is when you unpack the balista on the warboat, you can still aim it despite the balista arm clipping horribly into the warboat, guess the warboat must be made of aetherial wood.

Lava likes this.
  13. PUNK123

There's a hard to define standard for official server maps. I just wuss out the majority of the time and call it "playable", but ill try to articulate it to the best of my ability right now. Your map isnt bad, or entirely unplayable, but it doesnt seem to be able to foster any fun play. Players will have to fight into the middle tunnelzone with awkward movement and no bedrock(so there'll be deterioration). If they avoid trying to get control of mid and attempt to take the top theyll be trying to make a base in a lake and the viability of keeping a warboat intact on a map that is basically begging for siege is sketchy at best(not to mention the gold isnt all that accessable so players will generally not prioritize something as niche and weak as a warboat(that costs 250 coins plus a pretty underused shop). I think the gimmick lake at the top ruins taking control of mid, and because the tunneled area below is such a fuckfest the map doesnt look like it will be fun for anyone to play on. Also your map only has blue spawns so that is problem(make sure to add red and have it on the right).

For now it is rejected. Feel free edit the map and itll be moved back to the general mapping subsection to be looked at again. If you disagree with my conclusion on the map make sure to tell me because i wouldnt want to be wrong and keep a map off of official because of an error.

14. Clev

Clev Resident Stoner Staff Alumni Donator Tester

I feel like the lake gimmick would be a good idea if it was full of sharks instead making it difficult to get over the top without blocking it up entirely.

15. PooManCHU

Thank you for your opinion, a had already altered the caves at mid be to more smooth for this reason, i don't mind doing it at all as your right, it is was really awkward to move in the caves. and probably still somewhat is even after i smoothed them out, have you loaded up the edited .PNG file, to have a run about test, today i have made a more major edit i removed of the bottom caves and replaced them with sky so there is more light down there, it's hard to describe, just look at the new .PNG it looks pretty good in my opinion maybe even better than before, so that solves the awkward movement, i also added more bedrock at mid to stop deterioration from bombs and such.

Your right the war-boat on top is not really a viable tactic, i didn't think it was and i don't think others did either, it's just something different something a little fun, KAG is years old at this point and updates rarely have new content, just bug fixes, im not complaining don't get me wrong. it's just that we need some new ideas to keep things fresh, if players are bored and would rather waste there coins on a bit of fun instead of the thing witch is technically more efficient, then here's my map giving them that option should they want too, otherwise the lake can just be made into a very efficient water trap, now could be made even more deadly with the added shark (don't ask me how it got to the top of a mountain, or how it's living in fresh rain water, but hey fish spawn in there without me even adding them so hey anythings possible right) also the gold is accessible there is 12 blocks of surface gold at mid, and 13 at each base 6 of witch is lit up, pretty accessible.

I believe the reason you say this map is begging for Siege is because of the towers at the bases, those towers are only there is a counter balance to the height advantage provided by capping mid. if a team dominates early in the match because of unbalanced teams, looking at you KAG autobal should i even call it that. or because of a failed rush, say a team builds catas really fast they cant reach there wall with stone but they don't have to, just cata knights over. so the tower is there is a helping hand to teams that are not so quick at building, as a good team would have a big tower regardless if a little flick of dirt. but i can remove them if it would make the map more playable.

The "gimmick lake" cough cough goblet of the gods cough cough, Only ruins the experience of taking mid if what you want is an easy cap, it's meant too be somewhat separated from mid under it by bedrock, too many maps have mids that are in my opinion, too easy to cap and if they have caves it worse, all a builder usually has to do is block off two maybe three entrances at most, and then bam he's done, now he can get to ratting without a care in the world, well not in my map there are 5 paths each side 6 if you count going over the top, so the builders will have a much harder time blocking of mid. witch will in my opinion make for a much more competitive match. there will all-ways be a weak point for counter attacks on mid. this is why the "Fuckfest" caves are how they are. counter attack. that's fine if it's your opinion that the map does not look fun to play on, i value all feedback, but i still would like to here other people opinions on how fun it looks before i made a statement regarding eveyone. but that's just me. sorry about the spawns, when Im working on the map i only edit only side and then copy and flip horizontally, so it all-ways over rights the spawns. Thank you have a good one Edited .PNG PooManCHU_GobletOfTheGods.png
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 10, 2017, Original Post Date: Aug 10, 2017 ---
    Shark added friend, just one though, we don't wont swimming over the lake to be impossible

16. It looks like a cool map but in a map I look for a spacious area in the middle to fight for. The water is open but fighting in that is a hassle, and then your options are the caves with walls which are dark and gonna be blocked up really quickly, and the lower area without walls which is better than the caves, but is short enough to the point where they can be walled and padded down and secured in short time. I guess where I'm going with this is that it doesn't have a lot of room to roam and fight in, it seems to me its going to be more door to door combat-like which I personally dislike.

Clev likes this.
  17. PooManCHU

Why thank you for the complement, originally the map was 325 pixels long, i was already about half way through making the map when i realized how long it really was, and how empty it would feel with KAG current players base, so i made everything smaller including mid, i had the two issues have mid be bigger like a originally envisioned for more fighting room, and at the same time because of this have siege be able to hit teams bases from mid witch i didn't want,i could not have both without making the map bigger, witch would make is not fun.

Mate trust me i dislike ratting and also most of the door fighting that comes with it too, but despite all of out kicking and screaming, eventually it just an inevitability that builders are going to make tunnels doors and underground rats nest's, for some of the builders it is there main tactic, and they do it most games, usually starting early or rushing to mid to rat, this cant be helped. originally this map had more bedrock to stop rating altogether, i hate rats as i play knight 95% of the time. and once a builder starts to turtle up an area of the map, in most maps you would just need to be get a builders help straight away, to counter rat, that dam rat. but on my map you have options, yes ok if the builder is smart and blocks off all the passageways behind him then you are reduced to counter ratting again, but what are you gonna do i tryed to give more options,

I think i know the part of the map witch will cause the most issues will blocking up, it's the middle dirt wall right, i would have the whole underbelly jusyt sky but it wouldn't really make sense as to how a massive chunk of land is being held up by two little arms. but i guess at the end of the Day it's just KAG and if it don't matter to you guys it don't matter to me i will remove it, have you by chance loaded up the map Dual _chiecken, it's actually bigger tha you would think just from looking at the .PNG if have have any other critique's please let me know how in your opinion the map could be made better
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 13, 2017, Original Post Date: Aug 11, 2017 ---
    If the water basin is disliked by most, even though i personally think it adds a little charm, i can remodel that part of the map to just a a normal dirt basin. please let me know thank you

18. erik102003

erik102003 Base Burner Tester

Well the thing is nobody whos playing this game doesent like water, you cant make a perfect map when theres water

19. PUNK123

Denied, mid generally seems uncomfortable for players to maneuver

Clev likes this.