1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Request for very basic "server scripting"

Discussion in 'Community Dev Corner' started by Teemo, Jun 20, 2012.

Mods: Downburst, Mazey
  1. Teemo

Teemo T͔̕e͖͚̖̯̩̪͙͝e͡m̖o̤̪͘ Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I assume the current scripting implementation is for maps and not actual server logic so I'm asking for a temporary thing. Async HTTP GET/POST from the server (not the client obv) with the connecting user's IP/port/host/servername/serverip/serverport/username/clantag to a URL of your choice, and it'll return something like
    Code:
    {"u":"Teemo", "allowed": 0, "reason": "You have been banned by the administrator."}
    or
    Code:
    {"u":"Teemo", "allowed": 1}
    This would make it significantly easier for the community to set up unified ban lists, ways to allow clan members on clan servers without having to deal with passwords being leaked, etc.

Right now to manage bans across my multiple servers I have to push securitysetup cfg's constantly instead of just having a nice web UI for admins to use.

edit: what i'm saying is checking on connect against a server, not pushing configs or remote-including configs btw

2. CoD

CoD Haxor

That would be much simpler for server owners/hosters, brilliant idea.

Ghozt likes this.
  3. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Allowing us to reference a securitysetup.cfg that is not on the regular server as well as push would be very swell. I look at Rayne's constantly and they're all on the same server but there is such a waste of space in maps that could be referenced and all in one place, as well as Rules, mapcycles, and worst of all securitysetup.cfg.

4. xgalvin

xgalvin Arsonist Donator

That could be very useful. In the mean time, you could just customise your keep alive script to have it download shared files from a another server or centralized repository before launching the game. If you use a cronjob to restart your server regularly, you can be sure that everything will stay up to date.

5. FliesLikeABrick

FliesLikeABrick THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I intend to work with MM/Geti/Shad to encourage that server side scripting can make arbitrary HTTP calls since it allows for all kinds of custom systems. Not sure what particular document formats we'll support, if any (JSON, etc) since that will mean adding bindings to a library for parsing/generating that kind of document - so it may come down to needing to do it yourself

HTTP call and writing/reading custom log/stats/other files are something I think is very important in server-side scripting functionality

Noburu likes this.
  6. frink

frink Shopkeep Stealer

So Teemo, perhaps we could make a standard, like: GET frink.gnudist.com/blacklist
    would return a list of all blacklisted players like:
    Code:
    {
        bans = [
            {"u":"Teemo","ip":"127.0.0.1"},
            {"u":"Frink","hwid":1231337}
        ]
    }

And like you said, you could also query by resource like: GET frink.gnudist.com/blacklist?u=Frink
    and you would get something like

Code:
    {"u":"Frink", "allowed": 1}
    or GET frink.gnudist.com/blacklist?hwid=1231337

So then us server administrators could have our own informal API to query each other for ban status.

7. Teemo

Teemo T͔̕e͖͚̖̯̩̪͙͝e͡m̖o̤̪͘ Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I actually had something like that a while ago (also holy crap this thread is old) when I had to use iptables/ipfw/pf to issue "bans"

Also yes lets do it

8. frink

frink Shopkeep Stealer

Mods: Downburst, Mazey