1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[RP] Afterlife

Discussion in 'Spamcan' started by Kovett, Jun 23, 2013.

1. [RP] Afterlife
    This is an ongoing two person role-play between me (Kovett) and toffie0. Be sure to thank toffie0 for this fabulous story! The sole purpose of posting is not to show off, but just to share.

Note: Please don't post irrelevant stuff here.
    Otherwise, enjoy!

Chapter 1
    I hit the floor hard. It hurts like hell and I can't move my body. The pain is immense, incredible. Struggling to open my eyes, my hand is in some kind of warm liquid...

Dark red blood. I struggle to stand up. My leg is broken, yet...
    My clothes are bloody...that pool...is it mine? Help me!

I look around frantically......a field of grass, a town.

My best chance is to head towards the town.

I prepare myself for the extra pain that comes with limping towards it. But it does not come. Looking back down at my foot, the expected bad angle is no more...huh? It fixed itself?

It seems...I somehow...healed...?

Where am I?
    Dazedly looking around for something to do, I got up to my feet and walked around. I walked slowly but peacefully around. The memory I once had is now blank of the previous life, and the cruel ending came to befall.
    "You're a new one huh?" asked a middle-aged man passing by.

"Umm...what do you mean? What is...what is this?" I asked back.

"You died mate. This is the afterlife. You better get indoors quick. The sun is about to set. Them night creatures will eat your soul, you won't be able to revive." he replied.

Still stunned, I was rooted to the spot, attempting to take in everything.

The man, after a while of observing me, sighed and gestured towards what looked like an inn.

"Go on! Scram! I'll feel bad if you don't make it alive on the first night!" he shouted at me.

I sprinted towards the inn and pushed open the doors.
    Looking up in the sky, I noticed the sun beginning to set, soon the creatures of the night would be up and about. I started to run in no particular direction. The cool air rushed in my face as I ran. Puffing and panting, I reach a small village. Looking around I notice an inn. Sighing I go in, guessing that I'd better stay for the night, and find my way back tomorrow.
    A wave of heat hit me square in the face.
    I stumbled back, surprised by the sudden extra warmth.

However, the inn was not bustling with customers. A single old man sat in the corner with his coffee and a newspaper. The bartender was busy wiping mugs with his towel.
    As I approached the bartender, he kindly offered me a mug.

"What would you like today, sir?" he asked.

"Umm...sorry...I'm...new?"

"Oh! I see. You can have this then!" he exclaimed, politely.

A mug of thick hot chocolate was pushed towards me across the bench. I checked my pockets before putting my hands together in an apologetic manner.

"Sorry, I don't have any money on me," I stated.

"It's okay! Your first cup is on me," he mused.

Nothing could beat a mug of hot chocolate right now. I had no idea what is going on.
    The feeling of warm soupy chocolate milk soon resided in my stomach.

But before I could open my mouth to thank the good sir, he start jabbering.

"You know, back in my day, we used to 'yolo' the creatures outside. That was when we hadn't discovered how dangerous they were.
    We normally ganged those things, 10 to 1. But one time, they outnumbered us, 1 to 20. It was an incredible fight I remember. Didn't last long though. 7 of us got eaten up instantly.

Those guys, they dropped down, it was as if they just died from nothing...luckily, the rest of us escaped as the creatures fed. My rival tripped that time. It was where I lost him. And also where he lost. The creatures pounced on him before you could say 'achoo', and he stopped struggling in an instant.
    It certainly wasn't time to pause. We used that time for our benefit. I don't think we would've made it if it weren't for him. His sacrifice allowed us to exist on. Yep.
    Me and my wife. The girl I was in love with since the moment I came into this world.

Did you hear them say about the White Circle? 'suppose you haven't. Well, I'll tell you. They say it's a wonderful place. When you get there, you'll start to get younger, you'll get as young as 15 as they say. You wouldn't need to stay there though.

It's quite dangerous. The road to there. Don't think many have gone there and back." the bartender told his story.

The old man in corner shifted as he eavesdropped. His right ear twitching, as if it were a clue or hint of some kind.

"How many inns are there in this world?" I questioned curiously.

"Oh. Hmm...wait one second yeah?" he answered. He dove back behind the door curtain and disappeared from sight. After a while he came back out.

"Right now, there's only 477 left. The rest have been destroyed by the Demons. You wouldn't want to meet them. Those Demons...they certainly are a tad bit harder than Hellhounds to kill..." he murmured, shivering, as if in fear.

The old man in the corner could take it no longer, and I snapped my head in his direction as he hollered out.

"Oi! Demons? Are ya' kiddin' moi mate? Ya' callin' Demons hard? Wal' wait till yuv' seen them Devils! Jesus chroist man! I was the renounced Demon Slayer, Garldt! You know me. Yep, the one that slew the Greater Black Demon over at Kensworth? Jesus. Devils...you can't compared demons to them...look..." he lifted up his trouser to reveal his leg...

What leg? There was no leg. Just a mechanical stick attached to another mechanical stick. The 'Devils' had completely deprived him of his lower right limb.

The old man named Garldt seemed to be a pretty famous figure, as the bartender's eyes were extremely wide open.

"You mean 'the' Garldt? Garldt who slew Cerberus the Hellhound of Hell? Garldt who led our army to invade the Demon City?" and the bartender's rhetorical questions went on and on, no stop.

The old man looked at me.

"Hey, young boy. Come 'ere. I think you're trustworthy. I don't know why, but man, I got this gist, you are the one who will lead us to happiness. It's up to you now. I'm passin' it on. Make me proud boy, proud that I had passed it on to the future. Humanity's future."

Under his sleeve, a silvery white dagger of some sort slid out. He placed it in my hand and motioned for me to conceal it.

The bartender has jumped over his bench, and his wife had rushed out from behind the door curtain, curious as to what had created such a racket. The sword in her right hand did not seem that she had expected something friendly.

By the time the bartender had settled down and cast protective wards, his assigned room for me was rather small, since I did not carry any money on me. It was all thanks to the old man, that I was even able to get a room at all.

Although small, the room was rather cosy, and smelt of girlishness.

The old man had hinted some things to me, just before I went upstairs to the room.

"Psst. There was this girl living in that room for a while. She seemed like nobility. She was rich but she wanted the smallest room! She even left all her bed sheets and stuff. *wink wink*" the old man had mumbled in my ear.

The fox fur bed sheet certainly smelt feminine. I liked that smell. Lying in bed, the scent soon drove me into a deep sleep...perhaps a nice dream of daisies and honey...
    I go through the door as it creaks, inside it was quite cosy and warm, the bartender took one glance at me then scrambled through his drawer searching for a room key, obviously for me. Looking around, I see women and men of all ages, young and old. One guy was standing with a flagon in his hand signing merrily to himself.

"Back again, little one?" said the bartender in his usual rough voice. Smiling, he hands me a key and shows me to a table, saying, "Ya know which room it is. Same as always."

I nodded showing that I understood and he walked off to serve the other customers. Yawning, I notice the orange tabby that the bartender owned.

"He's quite fat and lazy, but don't be befuddled, he's a great mouse catcher," said a sweat lady, talking to a man from a table nearby. Spotting me, the cat comes over and starts purring, rubbing itself against my leg. I bend down to pat it. After a while of petting the fat tabby that was now on my lap, I picked it up and put the cat on the floor, making my way to the room.

I was to sleep in for the night. I tuck myself into the cosy bed and catch the scent of the room's usual honey smell. The cat had obviously followed me upstairs and into the room. It curled up into a tight ball between my legs. I lay there staring at the ceiling in an uncomfortable position until I finally started to drift off.
    A deep pain woke me up from my dreary sleep.

The sharp incision was bounded itself to my heart, and as I opened my eyes a guy in a dark cloak had speared a long dagger through my heart. Jesus...the pain soared through my body and I tried to squirm about, only to realize that the dagger had gone right through me. Death awaited me as I fell into darkness.

"F*ck! This kids poor! Damn it, what a waste of effort. He's got absolutely nothing except a shitty dagger! Crap! They're coming! I better get out of here...aha!"

The sound of glass breaking faded in my mind, just like my mind was fading. Good bye cruel world.

"He's finally awake."

Opening my eyes suddenly, I was dazzled by the light that the sun cursed into my eyes. As the blank vision soon faded, I was surprised to still be alive.

I looked around and spotted the old man.

"Young man, seems like you got Pugged." he said to me.

"What do you mean?" I directed my question at no one in particular, as the sun was still blazing hot. I checked my clothing and found a bloody tear in the rag, however no flesh wound was visible.

"You can't die here mate. You can only get eaten. By night creatures of course. Those Pugs thought I gave you something priceless. After all, they were spyin' through the gap o'er there near the inn door," he explained.

He further explained that Pugs, or robbers, were ones who stabbed you or made you unconscious in some form before taking your possessions. There were many groups of them, but rare to see any around here. The most likely reason was due to the Pugs tailing the old man, he stated himself, aware of his own situation.

"Don't worry 'bout me. Pugs are nuffin' I can't handle myself," he enforced, assertedly,

I started to understand slightly. I was about to ask a question when he interrupted.

"A heart wound like that'll take 'round only 5 hours. It's 'round noon by the way, judgin' by that crazy sun."

"Alright. You gonna' pack now, and head off to that White Circle," he commanded.

He shoved my off my butt, causing me to fall down the hill. Immediately, I remembered the dagger he gave me. Checking my pockets, it was nowhere to be found...quick! The inn!

I rushed down the hill toward the inn.

The old man called after me, "Don't let me see ya again til' yuv' seen past the White Circle! Or I'll dice ya up mahself' and feed ya' to the night creatures."

I dashed up the stairs and barged through the room.

Luckily, I found the dagger underneath the bed. However, I also found an antique looking letter of some sort...
    Sunlight shone in from the large windows. Almost blinded, I lift my head to squinted around the room.
    Feeling quite uncomfortable, I look down and spot the tabby still sleeping between my legs. After groaning, I say, "You gonna have to move puss, I can't stay here all day."

The cat makes no effort to show that he heard what I said and continues to sleep solidly on the bed. Groaning again, I lift the cat and much to my surprise, he was heavier than he looked, which said something.
    I heaved him over to the window sill, almost dropping him onto it. Then, I opened the curtains and gazed out into the fields.

Stretching and yawning, I make my way down stairs to greet the bartender, who greeted me with a kind smile like usual when I stay the night.
    He gave me a warm cup of milk as well as a peace of slightly burnt toast with some butter and jam on it. I finish the toast quickly and start on the milk, which he made exactly how I liked it. Looking around the room, it seemed liked I was the only one who bothered to get out of bed this early.

After thanking the bartender and trying to give him some money for his troubles which he kept refusing, in the end I gave up.

I slowly made my way across the peaceful fields and back to my home.
    It was by midday when I had decided to open it. Unfolding the fancy neat edges of the envelope, a parchment of some sort fell out.

It was not the raggedness of the parchment that had surprised me, nor what had been written that had surprised me. At the bottom of the parchment, a man's face was present.

Wanted Gone. Reward: 100, 000 Lumes.

The fierce barbarian held a longsword and a shield and was armored head to toe in black and gold scale armor.

Anyone would be mad to face one like that.

However, after reading the parchment, I had learnt quite a lot about weapons in this world.

There were many types of weapons: blades, bows, staves, thrown, polearms.

Of them all, there were many legendary weapons. Some were forged from darkness itself, other crafted from the dragons' breath.

Apparently, the man bore a legendary longsword.

*******************************************************​

I set off across the daunting hills to view upon the landscape.

The rugged hills and forests stretched out to me. Across the horizon ran a sublime mountain range, shaped like a dragon's back. Upon the middle mountain, the white circle hovered, just above its peak.

However, after he had climbed to the next, taller hill, the view has completely overcome him. Could a small human really cross this?

Jungle, desert, volcano, sea stood in his way.

However, with determination and optimism, he set off for the closest.

Jungle.
    The scenery kept changing, but I kept on slowly walking. My mouth got more and more dry as I slowly slouched along the footpaths and the meadows, and the occasional forest floor.

Looking up I see a small familiar wooden house in the clearing, just up the nearest hill. As I reach the foot of the hill I groan, knowing how steep the hill would get. I start to hike my way up the hill and towards the house.

Yawning and stretching, I reached the little house and slowly pushed open the creaky door.

I chuck my ruck sack onto the floor and make myself a cup of tea. I then made my way to the armchair and sat down, on my way grabbing a book to read.
    I sat there with my feet up reading about mythical creatures, and occasionally taking a sip of tea. As time passed by it got colder and darker. Tired after a long day's walk I cast the protective enchantments over the house and dragged my feet upstairs to take a nice long warm bubbly bath.
    Then I slowly make my way down the narrow hallway and turned right, into my bedroom. I light the fire and tuck myself into bed, exhausted after a long day of walking across the fields. Although it was still light outside sleep came easy enough.
    A few hours of conquering the muddy terrain left me tired indeed. The jungle floor consisted of insects and small animals of all sort, most of the animals scurrying away to hide when sensing my presence.

Vegetation of all sorts riddled the floor, creating a natural obstacle course for any human.

Travelling through a few hundred more metres left me more weary than I needed to be. Time to rest.

The jungle floor was cold, and as I leaned against the trunk of a thousand-year-tree, my eyes soon fell to darkness.
    I woke up to the loud crashing and crunching of sticks and fallen leaves. I ducked back into the darkness of the tree before peaking out, watching a leopard-like animal race after a deer. It crashed through the jungle, and the sound dimmed into the distance.

As I crept out of the hiding spot, I noticed something that I had not noticed earlier, before when I had fallen asleep.

It was the sight of such as tragedy that shocked me to the heart.

A group of skeletons riddled the floor of the jungle. Some bones submerged in the muddy marsh while others shined in the mosaic-like sunlight that penetrated the crowns of the trees above.

The group seemed to have all fallen, dying. A few broken spears and shields lay about.

Only two of the crew seemed to be of significance as I approached the waste ground.
    A noble man, dressed in silk robes, now dirty and filthy. His silken dress remained intact while the rest of his body had either decayed or scavenged of its flesh. The other, a more framed build, had broken chain mail that covered most of his remaining bare bones. After studying carefully, he saw that the chain mail was slashed by a claw of sorts, ripped up in many parts.

However, the sword that the man most likely owned, still lay untouched, tightly wielded in his right hand. The sword shone with a radiance like no other metal I had seen since I had joined this world.

After burying the party of men, I pocketed a few jewels looted from the noble man, before claiming my new weapon. A short sword.

Sliding my new blade into my belt, I stalked forwards through the forest, using the position of the sun as my guide...
    Bang!

I woke up and jumped silently to my feet.
    "Be quite Greg. You could wake her up. Now where is it.......you search over there," said a croaky muffled voice.

"Trust me, that kid sleeps like a snake hibernating. You sure it's here?" asked another muffled voice, but this one was deeper and slightly louder.

"Shut up Greg. You'll wake the brat," said the first voice.

The voices were coming from downstairs in the lounge room from what I could tell. I slowly looked through my drawers and found what I was looking for...a rusty old sword with three gems on the hilt. I had found it when I got lost in the forest. It had saved me then from the horrors of nigh and has protected me ever since. Though, I try not to kill.

I scurried down the stairs and stood by the doorway out of sight, taking deep breaths. Once I had gained my confidence I took a large breath then jumped into the doorway.

"How dare you come into the my house in the middle of the night," I bellowed my voice echoing across the room. The men jumped at my sudden appearance.

"...we're...umm, sorry little one," one of them stutterd. Then he muttered "Yeah... Sleep like a snake hibernating huh? Should of knocked her out...oh, that's right we can't."

"Get out of my house right this minute and don't come back. Or else..." my voice bellowed. I shifted my sword a little so they knew that I was armed. The two men hurried towards the door and pushed it open. One of them muttered on the way out.

"Little...spoiled...rich...brat...and...a...half..."

Once the door was closed I hurried and locked it then cast the enchantmens once more.
    Looking around the room I noticed drawers open with items hanging out the cushions on couches and on the floor. The coffee table was upside down.
    Although, they had left empty handed, unable to find what they desired. I shoved a cushion onto my favourite armchair and watched them in the window, running down the hill and out of sight.
    Wide awake, I made myself a cup of warm milk and flipped over the coffee table. I placed the sword onto the table as well as my cup and picked up a random book from the books strewn across the floor, sat back down and started to read it, slowly sipping my drink.

2. Chapter 2
    An inhuman howl pierced the night, waking me out of my deep sleep, into a cold sweat.
    Soon, a few others joined in, echoing throughout the jungle like a death sonata.

Beads of sweat formed all over my body as I unsheathed my sword silently, preparing to face the shadows.

Soon, the feral howls discontinued, replaced the swift movement of creatures through the dense jungle.

A few small animals leapt for their lives, but they were overcome with ease as demonic creatures shredded them to pieces in a single blink of eye. Contrasted again the moonlight, the shadows were no more than leaves in the wind.

But no one sane wouldn't be spooked. The creatures approached my location, and a fast shuffling of padded paws on the dampen earth tremored through the trunks of the thousand-year-old trees.

I readied my sword, set to slice and dice whatever fear had come to claim his life.

The ground was covered in black blood, as I cut through the near last of the beasts. Dire wolverines, I'd call them. Mutated wolves that had three eyes and five tails, each tail a deadly combination of whip and mace.

The last, the alpha, growled unearthly and formed a treacherous snarl. It's tails were poised, ready lash out while its claws were to rip out my innards.

I relaxed my limbs, before closing and opening my eyes for two seconds. The wolverine took advantage of my hesitation.

But it was not hesitation. As I suspected, it had leapt at me, claws and teeth a second away from tearing into me.

With one slash of my now heavy sword, a limb fell off. The beast tumbled to the jungle floor, black blood seeping from it's unholy wound.

I pounced, raising my sword in an overhead stab. Crushing through flesh and bone, I ended its miserable life abruptly. Such creatures were not to be undermined.
    Falling asleep I put my book onto the wooden table.

I'll clean up the mess tommorow I sighed. Then yawning I dragged my heavy feet upstairs and into my bedroom. I cast the enchantments for the third time this night and then tucked myself into my cosy little bed. Listoning to the beasts of the night howling and scavenging for any strays wondering around in the middle of the night. I turn over and shut my eyes glad that I was safe at my little house. The smell of burnt toast drifted through the house, smelling it I open my eyes the smell bringing me back to this world. The memory of th first person I had met came to my mind then I found myself thinking of her death. A groosom one it had been.

We were out at night having fun like we do, and we lost track of time. As it got darker and darker, more creatures came out both small and large, deadly and friendly. We had been making dasy chains when I smelt burnt toast. At tha time I didn't know what it ment. But it was enough for me to realize how late it was. I got up and told my friend to come home with me for the night. We had started to walk across the meadows towards the town tht we both lived in together. We got as far as seeing the lights until we heard a howl. Turning around I saw beasts of different kinds, looking at us with hungry eyes, drooling. I tapped my friend on the shoulder and started to run as fast as I could. The beasts catching up from behind. Soon I knew they would be upon us. I kept running and running. I heard a yell and I looked behind me screaming, I saw her get torn to shreds by the monsters. I started to yell for help, but I knew it was to late. With no weapons or ways to fight them I charge at the grabbing the nearest ones fur and throwing it off my friend. The rest of the pack looked up at me with deep black eyes. I started crying seeing her dead body, I knew at once there was no way of reversing wha they had did. I started to run for my life as the beasts chased after me deciding that I should pay for ripping one of them off from their meal. I hit the cold hard ground my nose aching and started to bleed. I screamed for help again and again. The beasts sinking their sharp teeth into my soft skin. All of a sudden i saw the moon shining up into the sky. Then everything went black the only thing that I could smell was the smell of burnt toast.

I had woken up to find myself on a bed in an unfamiliar house. I had tried to lift my head but it was to heavy.
    "Don't move." said a deep mans voice "Your injuries are severe your lucky to be alive. Your friend however..." He cut off their seeing tears starting to form in my eyes. He handed me a drink and a piece of toast with jam on it. I had stayed with him until I had gotton better. Then left and sold my house because of the memories it gave me, and I moved to this one.

The smell of burnt toast I had relised warned me of dangers or something bad is about to happen. Like usual I searched the house top to bottom of any dangers then cast the protective enchantments then I made sure the door was locked and picked up my sword and carried it everywhere I went. This was my routine every time I smelt burnt toast. Now days though it tells me when someone is in trouble nearby, there hasn't been a danger to me in ages but i still did these routines just in case. After I had finished I began to tidy up the place, making it spotless. Then I tried to occupy myself in anyway I can. I had planned to stay up until morning in case their was a danger.
    As daylight crept over the mountains, the talons of night still kept its grasp on weak sun.

The jungle was a flurry of life. Here and there, and everywhere, birds, insects, plants and flowers, all bloomed and welcomed the beginning of a new day.

I myself, however, welcomed the day as if it were the most dreaded upon event, even though glad that night had finally passed, and with it, the dangers.

My bones creaked and body ached as I righted myself, with leverage from my stained sword.

The bodies of the dire wolverines had already sunken deep into the marsh, and I found one my boots rooted into the mush. Although the surroundings were still strewn with the black blood of the cold blooded predators, nature itself was already overwhelming what had died. A small rodent scavanged at the remainder of the alpha wolverine's stomach. However, it was not of interest of me as much as the glittering object that appeared from its burst stomach.

After cleaning it, the jewel shone like the ocean on a sunny day. It's baby blue brilliance brightened as sunlight crept over its smooth surface, while it hung from my neck, as I walked towards no particular direction.

I stumbled upon a set of strange rocks, and investigated them, much to my dismay, as I discovered that they were only rocks which had split from a single monolith. However, the question was how. How had they come to split into so many fragments?

Such as rock could not simply be split, even with the hardness of diamond, such rocks were as hard as obsidian.

There were only a few options. They all crossed my head as I evaluated every single one of them.
    First, either something fell on it, which broke it.
    Or, someone or something had hit it, which had caused it to break.
    Or, if someone has used magic on it.

It was simple as to which was the most obvious answer, as the sight of jagged claw marks that dug through the surrounding tree trunks showed so.

Whatever it was out there, I would not want to meet...

The rest of the day passed quickly as I traversed through the jungle. As night set and daylight was once again cleaved by the talons of darkness, the horrors of the jungle came back.

The constant howling of wolverines, which I had become accustomed to now was starting to become a background noise.

Wolverines had never encountered such a thing as me before. Therefore they had proceeded with curiosity, instead of attacking me all at once. The wolverines from the previous pack had prodded me out, weighing and scaling, trying to judge my strength. They were obviously not careful enough as they had all died, knowing not of the dangerous sword I kept by me.

The noises of the night dragged on as I crept silently through the jungle, with a hand on the hilt of my sword.

The howls stopped suddenly, but it was not that, that truly frightened me...a sound, a slight deviation from the gobbling of a turkey, but more like the wail of a banshee, loud enough to pierce my eardrums reverberated through the jungle.

The jungle sent no reply. Not for a few minutes anyways, as I shivered in the cold fever of terror in the embracement of a tree.

Shrills of wolverines could be heard. Death howls of certain doom...I noticed it.
    It towered just below the crowns of the humongous trees. A dark spiked shadow, with multiple limbs, swiping its gigantic claw at the pack of wolverines. One by one, the wolverines were flung, and died instantly.

A sudden franticness, a single extremely large wolverine dashed straight past me at lightning speed, it's tails pummeling the tree barks as it flailed wildly as it sped into the further darkness of the jungle.

Turning back, the shadow seemed to be feasting upon the bodies, and with a start, I sprinted for my life towards nowhere.
    My mind told me, that no matter what direction I headed in, it would be of no use. I would still be stuck inside this jungle of dread.
    My feet carried me like I had never ran before. Like the wind I raced across the jungle floor.

Dare I glance back, I feared that my heart would stop of fear, that it would leap not one, not two beats, but would completely cease to beat.
    But turn back I did. And the most fearsome shadow bounded after me. Impossible to see due to the new moon, doom zapped through my body.
    I dashed for my life.
    And as I ran, in front of me, appeared to be a pack of wolverines.

The wolverines, seeing me were startled and growled, but I paid no attention...my only concern was of whatever was behind me, and as the wolverines howled into the distance, I looked back once again as the smaller shadows of the wolverines fled from the gigantic shadow that loomed above them...

I ran. I ran. I ran.
    I ran for my life, for my dear, dear life.

Propelled on by the fear that enveloped my whole entire existence (which it felt like), I flew blindly through the jungle that night.

It was only by luck that I was safe.

At least I hoped I was.

The green grasslands spread out before me, a rotten wooden fence, barring my way beyond. Easily vaulting over, I sprinted toward a house on a hill, with lights on. Hoping that perhaps, the nightmare of jungle perhaps would not follow me there.
    Losing track of time, I kept reading and reading. Soon I realised how hungry I was. Putting the book into the table, I got up and walked over to the kitchen opening the wooden cupboard to get out some bread. The bread had been sitting there for three days, but was still fine for eating. Picking it up, I cut it in two slices and made my self a sandwich with pineapple, ham and tomato paste. Then I toasted it and sat down at a small wooden table and started gobbling it down, finishing it in seconds. Looking up at the old cuckoo clock I realised it was 2:00 in the afternoon. I ran up stairs into the bathroom and grabbed an old bucket, then I hurried downstairs. I halted at the door on my way out, realising that I could still smell burnt toast. I glanced back at the sword which was glittering in the sunlight. After a sigh, I ran to pick it up, chuck it into its scabbard and set off towards the town square.

It was about an hours walk to the town square, so I found my self wondering about why I still smelt burnt toast and what had happened during the night.

I arrived at the town square, people greeted me as they walked past, commenting on how beautiful the weather was and wishing me a good day. Others just walked past without even saying hello. I made my way to the well which was at the very centre of town, and filled up my bucket. Looking around I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, all the shops were open, everyone was happy, like nothing had happened.

I carried my bucket full of water through town, past the lovely meadows and up the hill into my house. I pushed open the door and entered, making sure to shut it tight behind me. I looked around the room looking for anything suspicious and then poured some if the water into a kettle which I put onto the fire place. I lit the fire using the matches that I keep on top of the mantel piece. Then I picked up the bucket from the floor and carried it up into the bathroom. The floor boards creaked as I went. I set the water by the bathtub and then head back downstairs. sat near the fire and picked up the book that I was reading this morning and continue with it.

As it got darker I stopped to turn on the lights and went back to my cosy little spot in front of the fire place.

Soon the warm fire made me drowsy, yet I kept on reading. I fell asleep on the arm chair with my book in my hand on my lap.
    I rushed toward the house, dragging my sword arm beside me. Glancing back every now and then, warily, I neared the hut and sheathed my blade with my numb hand before lifting my head back up to stare at the house. It was not a work of art, but it sure seemed cosy. It gave the impression that whoever lived inside would be warm hearted, kind and welcoming.

As the hut stood before me, I paused, unsure whether to knock or call out. I reached out to touch the brazen wood. A sudden sparking of fire caused me to jump back as my finger burnt where it had touched the wood. I was surprised at such a happening, and lifted my hand once more, carefully hovering towards the door. It felt as if an invisible barrier barred my way. The barrier grew denser and denser until, when I pushed further, it would sting and hurt.

Suddenly, I snapped out of my curiosity, as a skin-chilling shriek filled the night's air. I turned back toward the forest, watching as a monstrosity trotted in my direction. The trees that dare obstruct its pathway simply fell down like upright matchsticks falling in the wind. Panicking, I ripped out my sword and struck against the door, only to be propelled backwards with a loud clang, burning sparks flying everywhere. Dread filled me as the giant shadow behind me neared the edge of the forest.

With a crazed mind, I gathered myself and stepped back a few lengths, before charging at the door and launching myself at it, shoulder first. As I flew toward the door off my feet, I felt the rushing of pain. An extreme brightness and loud sound filled my conscience knocking me into unconsciousness.
    Bang!

I woke up suddenly, the smell of burnt toast still in the air, this time the smell was stronger.

Bang!

My head snapped in the direction of the door. My hand slowly made its way towards the hilt of my sword. Jumping to my feet I pulled it out, ready for whatever was opposite the door trying to force its way in. But, for some reason they had stopped, the protective enchantments had obviously worked. I was about to sit down again when.....

Bang!

This time it was louder and the door had flew off. My eyes wide, I scanned for whatever had caused it. I found a boy laying on the ground in an unnatural position. I guessed he had been knocked out by the spells. My sword fell out of my hand, clanging onto the floor. I didn't bother to pick it up. I just stood there in shock of what just had happened.

Two minutes had passed before I took in the situation. Scanning him head to toe, I wondered if he was another one, like those from last night. He did not have any bags to put for supplies, I doubt he even carried a sword, until I spotted a gem hilt of what looked like one. I carefully reached out for his sword and examined it. The one thing that stood out currently, was the amount of blood on it.

I hated blood, but I knew it was one way to tell his intentions. I ran my finger of the sword carefully, the lifted the finger and smelt the blood.
    "Beast blood," I muttered to myself, then I quickly put the sword back and picked up my own from the floor. I hurried through the door and stood on my door mat. I looked around towards the forest, and I saw shadows lurking in the trees. Then I saw about a dozen of them running towards the house. I picked up the door and proceeded to place it back in its frame. I ran my fingers along one side of the frame with my eyes closed. I opened my eyes and I knew it had worked, the door was as good as new. Then I muttered the enchantments to protect the house and everything inside it.

Knowing this was the most I could do I turned around and looked at the boy wondering what to do with him. Sighing I drag him onto the couch in front of the fire. I took off the kettle from the fire place by using an old set of rust tongs that I keep on top of the fire place with the matches. I put the kettle down and let it cool off for a while, then I grabbed a tea towel from the bottom draw. I poured the water into a jug then carried the jug and the tea towel over to the coach. Dipping the towel into the jug I start to dab it against his wounds. Once I had finished on his wounds I took out the sword again and started to clean it. I then set the sword onto the mantle piece then I fell into the arm chair next to him, exhausted. Despite the howls o the beasts and the scratching on the door, I found that sleep came easy enough.
    "They don't just kill you. After they've slain you, they consume your corpse. But you won't live on inside their stomachs. Creatures of this world...they don't just devour flesh. They devour your entire living soul...and without a soul, you will be unable to revive.

Beware sonny, beware of the Panthorilla. It roams the forest as if it were a children's playground. Because, the Forest of Silence itself, is its actual playground. Be wary. If you think that wolverines are not enough, wait till you've seen the Panthorilla...it wear the face of creatures it slay. It's humongous frame, soaring against the thousand-year trees of the forest, one would not expect such a creature could exist. A cross between a mutant gorilla and a mutant panther...but it's activity, much more resembles a bear with an exceptional curiosity. Be glad. Be glad that it is bound within the Forest of Silence...for if it weren't..."

I jolted awake, in a cold chill, even though noticing the lingering heat from the fireplace beside me. The interior seemed larger from inside. As cosy as I had expected, my eyes drifted toward the window, without noticing the sleeping girl beside my in an arm chair. The moon still hung high in the night sky, and I estimated approximately a few more hours until daylight.

I drifted back into an easy sleep as tiredness overcame my senses.

"I see you've passed the Forest of Silence, my boy. Very well done indeed. I wouldn't want to go back there if I were you. That Panthorilla has an incredible ability...unlike Medusa, sight upon its fearful face will leave you frothing at the mouth, petrified on the ground, unable to do anything as it steals your face before consuming every last morsel of you. You will live in pain until the last shred of you is gone.

But wolverines are nothing compared to real mutant wolves of this world. Mutant wolves. Let us not talk about that anymore. Wolverines. Ah yes, prized for the hard spikey maces on their tails, they were often hunted during the Olden Days. Nowadays? Fearfully, everyone is afraid of such creatures. Wild creatures are no longer those fragile beasts that put up a laughable front when facing their doom against us humans. Ever since The Last Fall, dark magic, channeled all across this world underneath the ground, have mutated and strengthened all the wild creatures to an unmeasurable power. Wolverines, they were often known as rip-offs, off real wolves. Even the now powerful wolverines, are unable to compare with the creatures of the desert. They were beasts and plants at one time in history. But now? They can no longer be called 'beasts' or 'plants'. The most formidable foe, are not the giant mutated antlions, but those desert hyacinths, that lie deep beneath the sand. You never know when, that you've disturbed a sleeping hyacinth. And most certainly, when you've noticed, you'll realise that its too late. Some say its a game of luck. But trust me, if you always walk along the top of the large dunes, and never slide to the bottoms, whether it be Mutant Antlions or Desert Hyacinths, you'll be in danger of neither."

As I woke up, I found myself snugly resting in on a couch. Feeling around for my sword, I felt as if a part of me were missing, and sighed with relief as I spotted it on a mantle piece. Upon getting up, my first interest was not the sleeping maiden beside me, but oddly enough, the condition that my prize was in. Removing it from the mantle piece, I studied its intricate patterns that I had never noticed before, curls and swirls of indents, running from blade hilt to blade tip. Every here and there, a few stains inside the grooves and indents seemed impossible to get out, but with a little help from the still burning fire place, I was able to make it fully sparkling clean. It shone in the sunlight like the reflective surface of water during midday.

Sheathing the blade, I turned around to the sleeping girl and pulled on the clothing at the shoulder, attempting to wake her.

After approximately 2 minutes of continuous pulling, I was finally able to stir her from her dreams...
    I ran across the meadows, Yuki was close behind. The grass was soft against my bare feet. The wind whistled softly as we ran and ran.

I woke up. No, no, no Yuki died long ago, it was just a dream, I thought to myself, but what a good dream it was. I tried to go back to sleep, but the tugging of my clothes kept me awake. I open my eyes a little bit and looked through my eyelashes to see a boys face. I close my eyes quickly, feigning sleep. Then remembering the events of the night before and I open them again.

"Morning." I groaned, still half asleep. Dazedly I get up and dragged my feet towards the kitchen, to make four peices of toast with jam on them. After buttering them and putting jam on the peices of toast I pour two glasses of orange juice and then carry one of the plates with two peices of toast and a glass over and handed it to the boy. Then I went to retrieve my own.

"Are you feeling okay?" I asked him while munching through a mouthful of toast.
    The girl stopped looking at me as she prepared breakfast, after she had greeted me a simple "Morning."

I was surprised people in this world were that friendly. No. People of this world were extremely peculiar.
    Some were incredibly evil, some incredibly good. And some...just strange...who would drag an unconscious man's body into their own home and then after they've been woken up by that stranger, greet them with a "Morning." just like nothing had happened? Strange indeed.

As she seemed to drag her feet towards the kitchen, I moved around the house to study it. There was one thing that caught my eyes instantly. A bookshelf. A massive bookshelf that lined a whole wall, from top to bottom, left to right, as if it were part of a library...

As I found myself reading the books on history about this world, I discovered more and more about it. I took no heed in the dog-eared story novels that was obviously frequently read by the girl.

In one of the books, I found an uncompleted map. But the crudeness of the map was so incredibly crude...that I suspect that a child had drawn it. But the book itself seemed very professional.

Surprisingly, there were several copies of the map, and many of them fell out, onto the floor as I opened up at the map page. I picked them up, and after pocketing one of them, returned the rest in their original state, before setting the book back into its rightful position on the shelf.

I studied the map intensely. But one could say, a picture is equal to a thousand words.

[​IMG]

Just as I finished studying the picture, a good waft of toast attracted my attention. I hadn't eaten in days! I quickly stuffed the map into a pocket and wandered over to investigate food.

Mmm...

She buttered the toasts, putting jam on them, then poured 2 glasses of orange juice before carrying a plate with 2 toasts and a glass over and handed it over to me. I eagerly took it into my hands and indulged in the food.

"Are you feeling okay?" she asked me through a full mouth.

"Yes, I'm fine. Everyone heals rather quickly in this world." I replied, as I chomped on my delicious toast.

3. toffie0

toffie0 is sweeter than you <3 Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

Reserved spot for future parts and chapters, to reduce the spam between each post. So it's easier to read.

4. JTG

JTG Bison Rider Tester

Thank you toffie0 for the wonderful story.

I have a few questions, why does it seem you jump to random scenes at random times, and why do some of the parts not flow at all.

I can't tell whether you are in a jungle, or somewhere else, and all of the things written here are cliché, do you know what wolverines are? They sure aren't wolves.

The biggest aggravating part is, why does it feel like you aren't in a jungle, then suddenly you are in a jungle, suddenly not, suddenly are somewhere else, then you are in a jungle again on mention, also for some reason it turns night and day and sunset or nondescript times continually, and why do all of these people randomly appear or disappear in the story.

Not to mention these descriptions, you don't actually give us any texture, color, just size or placement, or a vague real world mention that too needs a description.

5. Infiniterising

Infiniterising Amorous Duelist Donator

Wow the moderators sure deleted a heap ton of stuff. Such a shame, some of that stuff was really inappropriate for moderators to say.

Oh wait...

6. we posted it before he changed the OP and later reported one of the posts

7. Obviously got trolled by the story ^.^

I'll actually reply to your last comment.
    The reason we don't give you texture or colour or whatever you classify as those elements, or a real world mention is mainly because that is the style of the story. It is based off these things that the story works, and the style of writing itself is particular in its own way. However, it is not incorrect and is often used in many stories that mostly pervade a sense of mystery.

8. JTG

JTG Bison Rider Tester

A sense of mystery leave unanswered questions, and strange mechanics, not a total loss of sensory detail resulting in issues.