1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Scripting in the works! Also, gigantic changes to Building and Fire, and Server Browser improvements

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

We're working on getting scripting happening per-component for all entities!

This means that complex behaviours can be programmed per-entity, rather than relying on hardcoded components to do it for you. This is good for us as it means we can iterate far more quickly on things like siege engines and such, but also good for modders as it means they can code their own animation logic and AI for NPCs, and make special items ingame. Next build is gonna be excellent.

Just a heads up to modders: Unfortunately, this means breaking compatibility with all existing config files - not invalidating them entirely, but they'll require conversion. Conversion is as simple as adding "$script =" to the top of all of the component sections, but it needs to be done by hand to avoid mangling your configs. Once the release is out, have a look at the default configs to see how it's done.

We're changing the way building works at the level of the tilemap - all constructed blocks will be separate entities, and all dirt etc will remain on the tilemap. This means that blocks can be properly layered on top of each other, and that the support code can be optimised a fair bit as it wont need to flood through the entire map. This will also solve issues with (for example) bits of the map collapsing when they shouldn't. Because blocks will have their own HP, this opens up the way for per-block resistances to different attacks, so knights will be able to grind down a stone block over time (read: 100 hits or so).

The cooler part of the constructed block changes is that we'll be able to have multi-tile blocks to construct, like 2x1 column blocks that will break as one piece. This should give more variation to buildings, and allow some more complicated blocks to make their way into the game (such as traps, elevators and so on).

Fire has also started being drafted up in code, and while it's early days, I've been having excellent fun burning down wooden towers with it.

Tom and Ryan are working on the server browser, which is now lightning fast, fully threaded and about 80% easier to work with.

We expect the conversion of map stuff to take a little longer, and there aren't screenshots to show yet, but there will likely be some dev videos as we make progress. Figured you guys would like an update on what's getting worked on other than continued balancing tweaks.

2. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

This is awesome. Very stoked about individually scripted entities!

3. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Balls to the wall YES!!!

SARGRA13 and Ghozt like this.
  4. Cannot wait. :thumbsup:

Good job!

5. hexalslug

hexalslug Bison Rider

6. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Needless to say we're speeding the hell up at the moment, which means ignoring anything that requires a lot of changes to a lot of stuff - basically aiming for a turnaround of 1-2 weeks on anything we start on at this point. More stuff for you in less time, less rage for us, and a chance of actually hitting the deadline. High Fives all around.

Djhacker, DrZaloski, AJ and 11 others like this.
  7. High five! It'll be angel script right?

8. Geti

Yes, slowly gonna convert all the gamemonkey stuff out, but the entities are all AS at this point and will stay that way.

jerloch and delankski like this.
  9. MINIMAN

MINIMAN Shark Slayer

Nice job Geti and your crew .
    I can't wait untill the fire gets realeased(Is there flame-arrows ?).
    ty Mini.

10. delankski

delankski Horde Gibber

BURN! .... USE BOATS! :DDD hahaha
    Soo much win soon

11. MINIMAN

MINIMAN Shark Slayer

Also Geti u should add boats to get across big lakes and stuff.
    Or u will drown and it get's fustrating,or give knights more breathing time.

12. Bookmark

Bookmark Haxor

I cannot contain this feel.

On one hand, I'll have to do work.
    On the other, I'll be able to have dancing exploding skeletons.

I'm confuzzled.

AJ, UnnamedPlayer, Isen and 7 others like this.
  13. Riletyface

Riletyface Horde Gibber

Just a question - Will fire break blocks slowly(Like a builder hits blocks and slowly breaks them), or break them immediately within, say 6 seconds. And I really hope you can burn each other, especially about the concept of fire arrows!

14. Learner

Learner Base Burner

Because blocks will have their own HP, this opens up the way for per-block resistances to different attacks, so knights will be able to grind down a stone block over time (read: 100 hits or so).
    EPIC! I can not wait for this!

Also, is there a chance that the bug/issue (that causes catapults to fire when charging) will be fixed? I'd like that.

15. Harold7

Harold7 Arsonist

geti good luck:)

16. Ranged66

Ranged66 Bison Rider

sounds awesome, servers with guns would be possibility then :D
    and fire......
    edit: oh and geti, me and my friend both have mac, but sometimes our mouse autoclicks in kag.
    it never does that but when we buy a key for example it ligths it without us even touching the mouse/trackpad.

17. Book and I discussed it, our server will have rideable rhinos that jump 8 tiles tall along with mountable arrow shooters.

18. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

FUCK YEAH

BROAD SIDE SCHOOL FED up the bone bulge!

8^y

19. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

i love you :heart:
    this will be the best thing ever

xChapx and delankski like this.
  20. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

PESSIMISTIC OPTIMISM GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

[​IMG]

Valkyrie, DrZaloski, xChapx and 10 others like this.