1. If you have a problem and need help, create a new thread with a title that briefly describes the problem.
    Do not use titles like 'Help!' or 'I have a problem!'
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Server problems since 16/2 hotfix?

Discussion in 'Server Help' started by Machinista, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Machinista

Machinista Shopkeep Stealer

Amigos 4v4 CTF keeps dropping from the server browser and I have to restart to get it visible again. Console output, from the server, doesn't give much away (as to whether it's crashed or not).

Anyone else experiencing same?

2. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Yes both my servers eventually crash altogether with no indication now at least once a day. Before they would kick everyone and just not let anyone connect.

3. Machinista

Interesting. I've noticed that people are still playing on the server even though it's no longer visible in the server browser :(

I don't think I've seen this behaviour prior to the hotfix. May just be coincidence though.

4. Noburu

Started happening to me after the hotfix as well. The hotfix actually has seemed to make knight combat worse again too.

5. MM

MM THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Tweaked something in the Master. Tell me if the problem persists.

BlueLuigi and Noburu like this.
  6. EchoLynx

EchoLynx Catapult Fodder

I have a similar problem. Sometimes, when a match ends, my server will no longer appear in the browser. Connecting to my server via IP is still possible, so I connect, quickly run the flag to the other team's tent, a new match starts and my server's back on the list.

Code:
    ============<On server browser list>============
    [1892505] Score limit reached for team 1; Score 1 / 1
    [1892505] Red Team wins the game!
    [1892505] *Match Ended*
    [1892745] *Match Started*
    [1892746] *Restarting Map*
    [1892746] Generating map from seed 596905; size 37500 bytes
    .../........................./......................[1892746] *Match Ended*
    [1892747] Map saved to Maps/autosave.png
    [2016394] Disconnected from master server
    [2016398] Established connection to master server
    ============<Known to be off server browser list>============
    [2138980] New player joined the game
    [2138994] Unnamed player is now known as EchoLynx
    [2139530] *Match Started*
    [2139974] Disconnected from master server
    [2139976] Established connection to master server
    [2142320] Score limit reached for team 1; Score 1 / 1
    [2142320] Red Team wins the game!
    [2142320] *Match Ended*
    [2142560] *Match Started*
    [2142561] *Restarting Map*
    [2142561] Generating map from seed 116425; size 37500 bytes
    .../......................./.....................[2142561] *Match Ended*
    [2142562] Map saved to Maps/autosave.png
    [2143101] *Match Started*
    ============<Known to be on server browser list>============

7. Machinista

Update on issues:

In-game server list: Amigos had disappeared from list, but server is still joinable by direct connection.
    Game state: game in progress, but no players = abandoned

I logged-in as admin, restarted the map and the server reappeared in the server list.

Now this reminds me to check whether I've set in gamemode.cfg > restartmap_ onlastplayer_disconnect = yes', because it appears I haven't, and maybe this would be a workaround for the 'disappearing from list' issue.

Rayne likes this.
  8. Machinista

After checking, I did have 'restartmap_ onlastplayer_disconnect = yes'

Seems the server got into a state where no reset could occur when the last player left/got disconnected and, maybe, also resulted in the drop from the server list?

9. EchoLynx

EchoLynx Catapult Fodder

I configured my server with Maqq's CLI and I also have restartmap_onlastplayer_disconnect set to yes. I think this is the default.

10. MM

MM THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

So the problem persists? I will try to fix it.

11. Machinista

Hi MM,

Yes problem still exists. Servers drop from the ingame server list, but I've been unable to find a set of circumstances that trigger it.

This morning my server was not in the list, but still joinable by IP. After joining, I checked the ingame list > it had reappeared.

Also, maps are not always resetting properly on last player disconnect.

Rayne, EchoLynx and Noburu like this.
  12. FliesLikeABrick

FliesLikeABrick THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

MM, was the only change in the hotfix pertaining to the ping frequency we discussed? Is there a separate threshold for how many pings are missed before it considers the UDP channel dead?

I can see this happening if the pin time was turned up to 15 seconds and the channel only tolerates one ping going lost. It should maybe be pings every 5 seconds and up to 2 (but not more than) can be lost.

13. Noburu

Same thing happens to both my servers as well. Seems they have to have players for it to happen. My rapid server doesnt stay full much and doesnt drop as often as my Unlimited server thats constantly full. Maybe its somethign with the cycling of maps or so many connects/disconnects by players?

14. FliesLikeABrick

FliesLikeABrick THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Yeah it happens to mine intermittently as well, and I've indeed noticed it with Noburu's servers as well

15. Noburu

Ok my servers are up to SIX times total being delisted today and the last time direct connect wouldnt even work.

16. Teemo

Teemo T͔̕e͖͚̖̯̩̪͙͝e͡m̖o̤̪͘ Forum Moderator Donator Tester

3 of my servers dropped off list, but I'm still pushing 3000KB/sec so I get the feeling once this batch of players leave they probably won't be able to find it again

This is sometihng like the tenth time today

Noburu likes this.
  17. Machinista

Unfortunately, I don't think yesterday's hotfix has helped. Servers are still go invisible if idle and reappear if joined.

Thing is, I'm not sure the sever browser itself is without fault. Sometimes I open it up and there's less than 30 servers showing. refreshing often, gradually, brings more in.

18. Noburu

I noticed this too yesterday. 30 servers would show up and I could instantly refresh and it went up to 33. If I waited a bit and tried again it will sometimes go up or down a few numbers.

19. Machinista

This morning (GMT) 92 servers showed up, including my own, with 195 players online.

Wild stab in the dark: is there an issue with master server loading? 195 players is about a third of the maximum I've ever seen online at anyone time. Thinking about it, low server counts/missing servers seems to be an issue at peak times.

I appreciate servers will be coming and going during the normal course of things, but I'll monitor server count vs player numbers today and see how it goes.

20. Noburu

Yeah I saw 90 something last night as well, but the day before never over the mid 30s. I dont see that many servers coming online in one day.