1. If you have a problem and need help, create a new thread with a title that briefly describes the problem.
    Do not use titles like 'Help!' or 'I have a problem!'
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Server Questions

Discussion in 'General Help' started by iNub, Jul 20, 2011.

1. iNub

iNub Guest

1. Kind of a moot point in that you are aware of it, but the auto ban for local ip still occurs for me even after adding the sv_authorize = 0 (not the exact server variable, to lazy to boot up linux to look at the exact one)

2. I have done everything on gods green earth to get NAT filtering to forward, binding to local ip, broadcast, router ip, public, and null, server shows on master list, others unable to join, or sign on the server. Tried iptables , no luck. Trying another fresh install of a non debian distro...

3. I notices in the readme.txt there is this line

If you want to host your own server just run from your KAG directory:
    dedicatedserver.bat on Windows

is there a windows distro I am unaware of, and if so where might i find the link?

4. How much estimated bandwidth at peak would a 64 and/or 32 man server require in upload? (anybody with a server can hopefully answer)

5. Will there be x64 support in the windows distro? (who doesnt love multithreading programming amirite?)

2. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

3. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

2. Are you sure you've forwarded right ports? Did you forward UDP or TCP?

4. iNub

iNub Guest

Update on port fowarding: Finally resolved seems the ports work after the 1000th power cycle. Always unplug the power cable and the cable cable and pray.

Still auto banned on local server TT with auth = 0, wether server or any local ip computer.

Reason 9

EDIT: Apparently i can join local ip, provided someone from the internet is connected first.
    even more stumped

5. iNub

iNub Guest

global sv_require_auth = 0;
    This variable is taken from the Autoconfig.gm
    instead being in the dedicated_autoconfig.gm

By default it was set to 1, so even if the dedicated gm looks solid, still need to change it in autoconfig.gm.

There was an old post about this from revision 60 something when the variable was still in dedicated gm.
    Hope it helps, only took an hour of hair pulling

6. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Hmn, we might need to make the server load autoconfig.gm first so that the dedicated_autoconfig overrides it.

7. iNub

iNub Guest

i dont think it did this on the linux distro, just the windows one if that helps.

8. DUZ

DUZ Horde Gibber Tester

I really need this information. Somebody can help me?

Bandwidth per player...

9. dwatring

dwatring KAG Guard Tester

I haven't checked, but MM probably knows. I'll be sure he answers.

10. Geti

bandwidth per player scales with the number of players, but it's something like
    upload to each player: (number of players - 1) * 0.3 kb/s
    download from each player: 0.5kb/s

-> rough upper totals
    upload: number of players * (number of players - 1) * 0.3 kb/s
    download: number of players * 0.5 kb/s

-> for 64 players 1210 kb/s up 32kb/s down
    -> for 32 players 298 kb/s up 16kb/s down

testing this just now, for two ~20 player servers I was sending 0.5kb/s to the server, and receiving ~4kb/s (jumped up to 7 sometimes and down to 3 at others) (for reference, 4 = 20*0.2) so to all players that was probably 80kb/s average upload for the server and 10kb/s average download. That seems roughly in line with the calculations above, perhaps a lower actual bandwidth than I'm estimating with those equations.

Hope this helps.

11. dwatring

It does. Thanks a lot.

12. Geti

No worries. I'll have to get more data to be able to comment on exactly how it works, but as a rough guide I'm fairly confident that that's representative.

13. HA1TER

HA1TER Shopkeep Stealer

why does the server lags then if you have 600kb up line and only 20 players?

14. dwatring

A better uploading speed is ideal. For my server I have a 6mb uploading speed available.

15. Geti

@Haiter: ping, basically. It takes time to actually send the data anywhere even if you can send X amount out of your server per unit time. If I have a 333 ping in a server (and I do in quite a few <_<) then that means it takes a third of a second for any information to get to me. I get a raw ping of I think 166 to most non-giant servers in the UK or europe, and that's the lowest it'll go - which means at absolute best I get information one sixth of a second after the server sends it to me. This gets compounded as there's also latency in sending the information from the player to the server -> if someone has a ping of 200 and I have a ping of 333, that's 533ms before I get any information for them. I might be dead in that half second! They might build two stone blocks! Thus even if you have a "fast" (high bandwidth) connection, you'll get "lag" because lag is tied to how fast data moves around, not how much of it is moving. We've kept the game incredibly light on bandwidth to eliminate any extra lag, but the fact that we have US, AU, EU, UK, and JP players all in the same server at times means latency isn't going to be negligible, and sadly it's the one thing we can't do anything about.

This is a simplified view, obviously, but that's why you get lag.

trelawney and dwatring like this.